IGNORED

NEO GEO Pocket Color Collecting

http://youtu.be/xZpZVm8I8Jc

My good friend Reggie comes by to talk about one of his favorite handhelds: the NEO GEO Pocket Color. This competitor to the Gameboy Color didn't make much of a splash, but it has a hardcore dedicated fan base today and some great games for it.

Do you own this little handheld? And what games do you recommend?

• Like 5

I love this system. Funny that you Posted this today, as I just received a boxed NGPC a couple hours ago.

One thing I'd highly recommend to all NGP( C ) owners is the Neo Pocket Flashmasta flash cart. As some of the games can be hard to find and ridiculously expensive, this is a perfect accessory to own.

http://www.flashmasta.com/purchase/

Edited by goldenegg

Picture Puzzle is my oddball recommendation. It's a japan exclusive, and IIRC it's one of the few that doesn't play in english, but being picross the language barrier is pretty low.

I also recommend Neo Geo Cup '98. It's just a soccer game, but it has a *TON* of depth. I've only got the black&white version, but I made it years in there. All players can be upgraded, there are special items--it's about as good as that game could be. I wish my MVS version had that kind of depth.

Edited by Reaperman

Another fan here! I have a cartridge complete US collection. I am working on getting boxes for all my games but they do get very expensive. My rarest boxed games are Puyo Pop and Magical Drop Pocket. I used to play Magical Drop II in the student union arcade when I went to UNLV, and have a lot of fond memories competing on that game.

Think it has the best non lit screen that was available. It has nice crisp colors without any noticeable ghosting.

I have 8 games for the system:

Bust-a-Move pocket

Fatal Fury: First contact

Metal Slug 1st mission

Neo Cherry master

Neo Mystery bonus

Neo turf masters

Pac-man

Biomotor unitron

All loose carts, except Biomotor, got that complete in US version.

Love to get more games for it, but since they didn't sell very well here, they're hard (expensive) to come by.

I love the Neo Pocket.

Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure is the best handheld Sonic game out there, and you need an NGPC to play it. I am also a fan of SNK vs Capcom: MotM, Gals Fighters, Last Blade, Fatal Fury First Contact, Samurai Shodown II, Metal Slug 1st and 2nd Mission, King of Fighters R2, Pac-Man, Dark Arms, Faselei, and tons of other games. It's really an incredible system.

I just this morning scored a complete copy of Rockman Battle and Fighters. Can't wait to play it.

Think it has the best non lit screen that was available. It has nice crisp colors without any noticeable ghosting.

That honor actually goes to the Bandai Swancrystal. The Swancrystal has a beautifully reflective screen with a high refresh rate. The NGPC comes close, but you've got to see a Swancrystal in person.

But personally, I'm waiting to get my freshly frontlight-modded Neo Pocket, Wonderswan Color, and Game Boy Color from here:

http://rosecoloredgaming.com/

• Like 2

My top five for the NGPC would be:

5. Metal Slug: 1st Mission

4. The Last Blade

3. Sonic

2. Dark Arms

1. SNK Vs. Capcom: Match Of The Millenium

It's such a solid little system, and really unfortunate that it didn't do better than it did in the US. Especially since Japan got an Ogre Battle game for it. Come on! Share that wealth!

But personally, I'm waiting to get my freshly frontlight-modded Neo Pocket, Wonderswan Color, and Game Boy Color from here:

How have I never seen that site before? I'll definitely be grabbing an Advance and Color from them, along with a couple Micro faceplates. I might even consider sending them one of my NGPCs.

How have I never seen that site before? I'll definitely be grabbing an Advance and Color from them, along with a couple Micro faceplates. I might even consider sending them one of my NGPCs.

Just a quick warning,

those backlit GBAs source their screens from the backlit SP, which means they're going to have the same slow response time, massive ghosting, and red saturation that those have. I sent my GBA in for the mod but decided against it when I found out that the screen is from the low refresh rate backlit SP. The backlit SP is 50hz whereas the frontlit SP, micro, and original GBA are all 60hz. So as far as I'm concerned it's a downgrade rather than an upgrade.

Here is my little Neo-Geo Pocket Color Collection. I do have boxes for most of the hardware, but they are stored away somewhere....

Great little device.

http://www.flickr.co...N06/9283484991/

Haha, those magnifyers, speaker addons, and wormlights really take me back to my childhood. Went around with my Game Boy looking like Voltron just so I could hear and see the damned thing.

Kids these days with their 3DSes don't know how good they have it.

• Like 1

Just a quick warning,

those backlit GBAs source their screens from the backlit SP, which means they're going to have the same slow response time, massive ghosting, and red saturation that those have. I sent my GBA in for the mod but decided against it when I found out that the screen is from the low refresh rate backlit SP. The backlit SP is 50hz whereas the frontlit SP, micro, and original GBA are all 60hz. So as far as I'm concerned it's a downgrade rather than an upgrade.

I like the backlit SP, so I'm okay with this. Also, I wouldn't mod my existing system. I'd buy a complete system from them, so I'd still have my original.

I like the backlit SP, so I'm okay with this. Also, I wouldn't mod my existing system. I'd buy a complete system from them, so I'd still have my original.

Fair enough.

I can't stand the backlit SP. Throw a copy of Sonic Advance 2 in a micro and put it side by side with the backlit SP and the difference is night and day. I don't think I've ever been so disappointed in a Nintendo product.

• 2 weeks later...

So I ordered a modded GBC from them and couldn't be more disappointed in the quality of the system. The screen is hazy, with large bands across the screen that move as you tilt the system. Also, my system arrived defective with non functional B and A buttons.

I was planning to get GBA and NGPC systems from them as well, but I no longer have confidence in the quality of their work.

EDIT:

Here's a pic of the screen. The distortions on the screen are not from my camera. That's how it actually looks.

gbc_prob.JPG

Edited by goldenegg

I would send that back to him.

I'm still waiting for the bum to send my stuff back, but the quality of the work is high from what I can see in the photo he sent me:

null_zpscad4a164.jpg

Of course, all three systems were mine to begin with and I know what the displays looked like before I sent it. So when they arrive I'll definitely update you, but again, those systems above don't look like yours.

I'm actually upset at the guy for another reason: his terrible customer service. I had multiple long communication gaps during the course of our transaction. He told me the actual work would take quite awhile before I started and I was okay with that, but he was terribly slow in responding to emails. He told me that he would notify me when the systems arrived at his house and I didn't hear from him until 18 days (and a few emails sent to him) after the tracking number showed it had arrived. Then, when he finally told we the work was done he stated his final price, saying that if I would just confirm it he would send an invoice "ASAP" so that I could pay. I responded to that message within 20 minutes of receiving it. I confirmed the price and requested an invoice and the above photo. I didn't get the invoice for three days, and I again paid as soon as I got it (this previous Monday). I tell him that I want it shipped the next day because he charged me 15 dollars for shipping (from Columbus to Denver; I sent the systems to his house for half that). He responded that he did not ship every day and that he would do it "in the next few days". I have not heard from him since but I did get an email from Paypal saying that "the item had shipped" with a tracking number. However, the tracking number still comes up "electronic shipping info received" meaning he still has not actually put the damned box in the mail.

But yeah, to anyone else in this thread, I'm sorry I even posted the link to the site. I was originally going to send my Nomad out to him for a new screen and battery mod, plus my Turboexpress for a new cap kit and screen, but now I'm going to find someone more professional.

My modded original GB from Kitsch Bent doesn't do that.

Generally original GBs are backlit where IIRC the GBC needs to be frontlit.

I'm much happier in general with my backlit gb than my frontlit gba--frontlighting has a lot of drawbacks, but it was the best gba that could be had at the time.

There is a

that I've been considering getting. Edited by Reaperman

Just a quick warning,those backlit GBAs source their screens from the backlit SP, which means they're going to have the same slow response time, massive ghosting, and red saturation that those have. I sent my GBA in for the mod but decided against it when I found out that the screen is from the low refresh rate backlit SP. The backlit SP is 50hz whereas the frontlit SP, micro, and original GBA are all 60hz. So as far as I'm concerned it's a downgrade rather than an upgrade.

To be fair, I think you may have abnormally high expectations when it comes to this sort of thing. I think that, for about 99% of people who have this mod done, it's about having the ergonomic advantage of the AGB-001 coupled with the usability of the AGS-101 backlit LCD.

So I ordered a modded GBC from them and couldn't be more disappointed in the quality of the system. The screen is hazy, with large bands across the screen that move as you tilt the system. Also, my system arrived defective with non functional B and A buttons.I was planning to get GBA and NGPC systems from them as well, but I no longer have confidence in the quality of their work.EDIT:Here's a pic of the screen. The distortions on the screen are not from my camera. That's how it actually looks.gbc_prob.JPG

Front light mods ALWAYS wash out the colors. It's not a perfect method, and hence why modern LCDs don't use it. But it's all that can be done with the GBC since no backlit replacement exists.The banding issue falls into the same category. It's unavoidable.

Before complaining here, why not contact us so that we can repair it for you? These are 15 year old pieces of hardware, and although I personally test each of them with a few rounds of Teris before packing them up, problems may still pop up. We will GLADLY repair the A/B button issue for you. I just sent you an email.

I would send that back to him.I'm still waiting for the bum to send my stuff back, but the quality of the work is high from what I can see in the photo he sent me:null_zpscad4a164.jpgOf course, all three systems were mine to begin with and I know what the displays looked like before I sent it. So when they arrive I'll definitely update you, but again, those systems above don't look like yours.I'm actually upset at the guy for another reason:1 his terrible customer service. I had multiple long communication gaps during the course of our transaction. He told me the actual work would take quite awhile before I started and I was okay with that, but he was terribly slow in responding to emails. 2He told me that he would notify me when the systems arrived at his house and I didn't hear from him until 18 days (and a few emails sent to him) after the tracking number showed it had arrived. 3Then, when he finally told we the work was done he stated his final price, saying that if I would just confirm it he would send an invoice "ASAP" so that I could pay. I responded to that message within 20 minutes of receiving it. I confirmed the price and requested an invoice and the above photo. I didn't get the invoice for three days, and I again paid as soon as I got it (this previous Monday).4 I tell him that I want it shipped the next day because he charged me 15 dollars for shipping (from Columbus to Denver; I sent the systems to his house for half that). He responded that he did not ship every day and that he would do it "in the next few days". 5I have not heard from him since but I did get an email from Paypal saying that "the item had shipped" with a tracking number. However, the tracking number still comes up "electronic shipping info received" meaning he still has not actually put the damned box in the mail.But yeah, to anyone else in this thread, I'm sorry I even posted the link to the site. I was originally going to send my Nomad out to him for a new screen and battery mod, plus my Turboexpress for a new cap kit and screen, but now I'm going to find someone more professional.

1 I explained to you VERY early on that I have a newborn son (and I work from home), am a one man show, and that I was working on rebuilding my webiste at the time. I read through donzens of emails a day and they suck up a ton of my time, including your long-winded explaination about why you wanted me to take the GBA off your list of systems to be modded. A simple "on 2nd thought, skip the GBA" would have worked. It takes me just that much longer to get back to everyone when I have to read through 3-4 paragrpahs of stuff like that.

2 You are correct, and I am sorry. I now have a partner on board so emails are being tended to far more quickly then they had before. Again, I was in a rebuilding stage of sorts at that point.

3 ASAP means "as soon as possible". I sent an email on Thursday the 18th at 2:30 pm eastern to give you the final price. You sent a reply at 5pm eastern time to confirm (a point at which I've often stopped checking emails so I can get some actual work done). I sent pics and invoice on the 22nd. 2 work days later, which was as soon as possible. I don't feel that this in unreasonable.

4 I shipped your package via medium flat rate box. The cost of the box is $12. The rest covers materials/handling. I don't see how this is unreasonable. You did not pay "half that". You paid $10 and it was via "standard post". We don't ship via standard post.

null_zps6526eeb6.jpg

5 I sent an email on Tuesday the 23rd at 6pm. Check your inbox. I put the "damned box in the mail". I'm sorry if the post office hasn't updated the tracking info. I've often had tacking say the same thing until the box has arrived at my doorstep. Nothing I can do about that.

I think a lot of frontlight mods have that. My afterburner kit sure does it.

Yup. It's just the nature of the method.

My modded original GB from Kitsch Bent doesn't do that.

That's because it's backlit.

If there's actually banding on it he's going to hear from me about it for sure.

Can't wait for the email. Also, calling me a "bum" is a great way to ensure that you're at the top of my priority list.

Edited by wiggyx