IGNORED

GTIABlast! WIP demo

playsoft

I deliberately kept this file away so people could give it their best shot as its one tough shooter...

So for the people (like me) who struggle to see the end of games here's a Cheat for use in Altirra (and maybe Atari800 win?)

Zipped up to be able to attach,, just go to the cheat menu in Altirra after the game is loaded (don't forget the 1088K memory needed if the xex is used, works on both cart and xex) and load the unzipped file, make sure the box on the right is ticked but it should default to it and have a FULL blast.

Gives you pretty much full invincibility although I never tried touching the bosses, could not be bothered to cheat the weapons as there has to be some challenge there :)

Credits to Paul and Harvey, its a wonderful blaster and despite the tune playing for the whole experience it never bothered me a bit, its just such a bouncy tune although I'd love to have heard the tunes planned to be included from the young ladies but as said sometimes people can say a little too much and no one should knock creativity especially from the younger persons.

Well there you go, if you feel its too much of a cheat you can always hit ALT + SHIFT + H or just use the mouse to get the cheat dialogue and untick the box and play until you are low on health and turn it back on. If you use this approach I find it handy to go to TOOLS / OPTIONS and UI and tick 'pause when menu's are open ' and then when you quickly want to stop the game right click on the screen OR just hit ALT to instantly pause the emulation when in a tight spot, there are other key presses but this is the most simple way.

Love the game, gets pretty tough, I wonder what the reason is for the very much shorter vertical sections with no bosses is (trust me, you will be too busy trying to stay alive on an un-cheated version to notice). A little 'how dare you' to Paul and Harvey for turning the Atari in to a C64 (you will see if you are quick) and I love the end / restart

Paul.

Atari Blast.zip

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

My 9 year old loves it! :) Looks great in wiixl.

I prefer playing it on real Hardware and Atarimax Cart but i'm also the lucky owner of a Mist Fpga witch i would higly recommend. And Yes Atari Blast the Car file format runs on Atari800 Fpga on Mist no problem : :)

It is nice to hear it's working on these. I used a POKEY timer for the sprites which I expected might cause problems under emulation - no issues with Altirra, one in Atari800Win PLus which I got around with a better solution anyway (I was using a WSYNC to ensure that POKEY had latched, replacing it with code that took long enough solved the issue).

Love the game, gets pretty tough, I wonder what the reason is for the very much shorter vertical sections with no bosses is (trust me, you will be too busy trying to stay alive on an un-cheated version to notice). A little 'how dare you' to Paul and Harvey for turning the Atari in to a C64 (you will see if you are quick) and I love the end / restart

Paul.

Short vertical levels sounds like it might have got tricked into demo mode where only the first 6 screens are shown.

Short vertical levels sounds like it might have got tricked into demo mode where only the first 6 screens are shown.

Deffo more than 6 screens long but no bosses like on the Horizontal levels..Just seemed like you got there and it ended, can be seen also in Robc's video, he actually says something like "oh, I finished the level" like it was a surprise, anyway, I'm just saying they seemed shorter than the other level types compared, deffo NOT short from experience of playing it loads of times un-cheated....Tough indeed..

And nice use of the Simon based level code entry (Robs too young to remember Simon :) )

Deffo more than 6 screens long but no bosses like on the Horizontal levels..Just seemed like you got there and it ended, can be seen also in Robc's video, he actually says something like "oh, I finished the level" like it was a surprise, anyway, I'm just saying they seemed shorter than the other level types compared, deffo NOT short from experience of playing it loads of times un-cheated....Tough indeed..

And nice use of the Simon based level code entry (Robs too young to remember Simon :) )

Ah yes, there are only bosses on the vertical levels, none on the horizontal which makes them seem shorter (although they are different lengths anyway, the shortest is 23 screens, the longest 58). I was not going to have any bosses originally, they came about as a means to fully replenish your shields. This made it a lot easier to put the level attacks together since I could work on two levels at a time in isolation.

Have been enjoying it quite a bit - I think my best run so far just happens to have been the one I recorded for this episode (off my PAL 800XL). I hope there's a chance to reuse the core 'engine' on another shooter, as I thought this was good fun :)

That's a great video, better quality and more info than what was released before, showing off the AB! levels and game play nicely.

• Like 1

Very nicely done - I didn't think anyone would do that - make a nice animated gif like this.

The game does use 8 frame animation for the characters. A better option was probably to make use of only

4 frame animation - enabling twice as many animated characters to be used - changing it from 8 animated characters to 16.

4 frame animation is used for the rear screen effect.

Harvey

Was that the bit on L3? I think I remember being surprised that I finally made it to the end there - as I swear it felt a lot longer than Level 1 did, and then going onto L4 (the Zaxxon one), it felt a lot shorter by comparison. I'd need to go back and watch the footage to check (sometimes, I do forget the details and need to go back to the episode to check properly).

I sort of remember Simon (for what it's worth… I date from somewhere between the original 400/800 and the 1200XL), but yeah, that kind of slipped my mind when recording it. Nice way of presenting the level passwords though :)

Glad you all dug the vid - I usually haven't plugged the A8 stuff here (there's an ongoing thread for the channel in the Websites forum) - I need to get covering more games on 'em (which has been I've been wanting to improve for a while).

:)

• Like 1

Glad you all dug the vid - I usually haven't plugged the A8 stuff here (there's an ongoing thread for the channel in the Websites forum) - I need to get covering more games on 'em (which has been I've been wanting to improve for a while).

:)

Thanks for reviewing the game, it was really nicely done.

• Like 1