IGNORED

GTIABlast! WIP demo

playsoft

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

If you get an Atarimax Flash Cart, the Atari itself can program/flash the cart without any extra hardware.

The advantage being some games support tracking your accomplishment or scores and then will save them.

Wow, that sounds great. Thanks for the info.

• 6 months later...
52 minutes ago, annomatik said:

Is it possible to run that game on my configuration? Which version would I use?

You need an Side3, AtariMax 8mbit or AVG cartridge to run the game (.car version) on a stock 800XL.

Edited by Dinadan67

3 hours ago, annomatik said:

No, just 64K. Waiting for a boxed version then ?

Why don't you just buy an AVGCart?

With $50 you'll be able to load GTIA Blast, Atari Blast! (the name of final version) and many games that otherwise would need a memory expansion: https://avgcart.tmp.sk/

If you plan to install U1MB internal expansion board or like Side2 loader you could buy Side3 (this cart costs a bit more).

On 6/18/2020 at 1:25 PM, _The Doctor__ said:

If you get an Atarimax Flash Cart, the Atari itself can program/flash the cart without any extra hardware.

The advantage being some games support tracking your accomplishment or scores and then will save them.

Just to be clear to others - Atarimax carts as such came out before the other later (and more popular) flash carts.  I only have the Atarimax cart(s) but I will guess that the later ones - which do use SDcards operate as expected.  That it's easy to copy runable files to them using your PC/laptop.  Whereas the Atarimax system  requires a programmer kit - that is a special cart, that flashes that special game or compiliation of games/programs onto a Atarimax cart.  [You obviously need to purchase the Programmer Kit - to be able to flash/write games onto a Atarimax cart - using your Atari computer to do it with]. The Atarimax system is more expensive because of needing to purchase Atarimax carts to build up your library.  But once you purchase 5 to 10 Atarimax carts, you simply update them as needed into your own special compiliations.  If a cart fails to reflash (be rewritten to) you can return it for a replacement.

I think the SDcard flashcarts do support the Atarimax bankswitching scheme (someone can point out any that don't?) in general.  It's only with AtariBlast! so far - that comes in two versions.  One for 16K to 64K machines, and the other for 1088K memory.  And there may be two versions with what music is played.

Harvey

Edited by kiwilove

1 hour ago, annomatik said:

Actually, I already have a Side 2 and am planning to buy a FujiNet at some point. A third card-reader for just one game seems a bit overkill to me, sorry.

Or you might want to consider buying and installing a U1MB which would complement your SIDE2 nicely, as well as allow you to use the Side Loader to run the game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kiwilove said:

Whereas the Atarimax system  requires a programmer kit - that is a special cart, that flashes that special game or compiliation of games/programs onto a Atarimax cart.  [You obviously need to purchase the Programmer Kit - to be able to flash/write games onto a Atarimax cart - using your Atari computer to do it with].

I think you might be confusing the USB programmer with the programmer kit (AtariMax Cartridge Studio).

The latter is the software needed to compile your cart compilations and save them as an ATR image that is used to re-program a cartridge.

The USB adapter connects to an AtariMax cart and via the Studio s/w can transfer the binary/CAR image directly to the physical cartridge, taking a lot less time.

This is recommended not only due to the time saving but there is also the issue getting the Atari to use the ATR image that programs the cartridge.

In the earlier days this would have been either via an SIO2PC cable and the APE software but since then many alternatives are now available.

E.g. AspeQt, RespeQt, SIO2SD, SIO2BT and now #FujiNet

10 hours ago, Wrathchild said:

I think you might be confusing the USB programmer with the programmer kit (AtariMax Cartridge Studio).

The latter is the software needed to compile your cart compilations and save them as an ATR image that is used to re-program a cartridge.

The USB adapter connects to an AtariMax cart and via the Studio s/w can transfer the binary/CAR image directly to the physical cartridge, taking a lot less time.

I didn't purchase the Programmer Kit myself but was kindly sent it so as to test out the graphics for the AtariBlast! project.

So I guessed that it did contain the MaxFlash USB programmer cart, USB cable, Studio s/w (runs on a PC/laptop) and a 8mbit Atarimax cart.

I thought maybe the previous poster may have given the impression that you could transfer directly to the Atarimax cart.  But I can't see how you can do it without the MaxFlash USB programmer cart?  This cart does look exactly like a standard Atarimax cart - except it has a USB slot at the side of it (for the USB cable) plus it's edge connector is female.  So that you can plug in an Atarimax cart into it here.

I can see why later Flashcarts have become more popular than this older Atarimax flashcart system - with them being cheaper and more versatile as such.  Plus easier to use.  But still Atarimax should be given due credit for what they produce and sell.

Harvey

1 hour ago, kiwilove said:

I thought maybe the previous poster may have given the impression that you could transfer directly to the Atarimax cart.

Which you can, you don't need the programmer. You mount the .ATR programming image in D: (using something like APE or AspeQt), put a blank Atarimax 8mbit flash cart in your A8 and power up. The programming .ATR will boot and then proceed to flash the Atarimax cart.

It does take quite a long time to flash an 8mbit cart this way. I used to set it flashing, go and have dinner (do the washing up, watch a bit of telly) and come back to it later. So when we were developing AtariBlast! the programmer sped things up. Nowadays we'd have used AVGCART or Ultimate Cart.

• Like 1

Considered modern multicarts features, compatibility, ease of use and price, nowadays there are not many reasons to buy an Atarimax Maxflash cartridge.

But there are some useful purposes:

- high score saving of games like Pac-Man 2012 and Space Harrier

- a commercial game like Dungeon Hunt use a Maxflash cartridge, therefore it can be useful to sell homebrew games with save feature

- if you would like to have a beloved game on a single cart.

I have three Maxflash carts and the USB programmer, not necessary like Playsoft mentioned (I flashed carts with ATR too) but useful (even for dumping your cartridges).

It might be worth a shot to contact Steve at Atari about loading the game on an AtariMax cart and selling it to you. He does this with OSS carts and a few Atari games.

I know it is hard to justify spending more money on another multicart, but the AVG or Ultimate Cart work great at loading stuff like AtariBlast! 

Enough good things cannot be said about this game, IMHO. It is simply amazing. It is also the first game I sat and played all the way through (of any length at all, that is) without stopping and now have played through it several times - finally on real hardware & a 1902A monitor a few weeks ago; that was a glorious Atari moment for me. When my gameplaying/studio room is finished, this game will definitely have a video made of it for my channel.

• Like 2