IGNORED

Space Taxi - is there a Clone for Atari 8-Bits?

bbking67

I remember playing the game Space Taxi on C64... not a bad little game. It seems to be highly revered by C64 enthusiasts, but I think it's just average... maybe it's the synthesized speech. In any case it's an interesting release from Muse, the company behind the original Castle Wolfenstein games. I don't believe an Atari version was released, but are there any decent clones?

Space Taxi was maddeningly difficult to both control and play at times, but it definitely deserves its status as a classic, merging tried and true gameplay tropes with some cool speech. I always gave games with speech back then, like Beach-Head II, extra points for the inclusion. Hopefully Philsan's friend is able to work in the speech...

I agree with Bill; Space Taxi is a classic.

Seven levels of A8 version are done.

Taxi's movement is very nice, considered A8 horizontal half sprites resolution (compared to C64 one).

Speech is not implemented yet.

My friend is an AtariAge member...

• Like 1

Taxi's movement is very nice, considered A8 horizontal half sprites resolution (compared to C64 one).

I think all here want to post this question:

"Can we see something of it? At least some screens?"

P.s.- Is it for the ABBUC Contest?

Wow I eagerly await this one. I hope he gets the guy to say "hey taxi". It alwayse sounded to me like he was speaking through his butt. I'm not hatein thats part of the charm.

Edited by Dripfree

José, I will post screenshots only if author allows me to do that (or he will post them directly).

The game will not be ready for ABBUC contest 2013.

Karolj, the game is not using C64 code.

Anyway, physics are very close to original ones (apart sprites lower resolution movement).

José, I will post screenshots only if author allows me to do that (or he will post them directly).

The game will not be ready for ABBUC contest 2013.

Karolj, the game is not using C64 code.

Anyway, physics are very close to original ones (apart sprites lower resolution movement).

Of course you won't do that.

Like I said I donwload it, play it and saw longplays of it on YouTube and have to say, honestly, what's the big value of it, even the speech is not all that good (or is it the CCS Emulator? Don't think so).

On A8 two PMGs Multicolour easilly get the taxi 10pixels wide 3colours and the other two PMGs the 3colours (other different 3colours then better looking than the C64 version) of the guy.

But on A8 then the gfxs never, no way to be in hi-res so ANTIC4 charmode black BAK Register + the 4 PFs colours. It seems possible that each screen can go well with one charset.

This isn't the best game for, but wondering what a good artist and A8 Palette more DLIs can do with these Platform type of games like Chris Paul Murray did with Henry's House (even if there's no way like Tezz did using hi-res Mode on Manic Miner and we have to convert into 2:1 ratio all the gfxs...)?

;)

:)

Like I said I donwload it, play it and saw longplays of it on YouTube and have to say, honestly, what's the big value of it, even the speech is not all that good (or is it the CCS Emulator? Don't think so).

You mean not everyone likes the same game? That's crazy talk! ;-) With that said, I think even with games we don't particularly care for, we can see why others think they're great. The most high profile example for me is Super Mario 64. I dislike it a great deal (I get lost and bored rather easily with it), but I can absolutely 100% see the appeal for others.

For its time, Space Taxi's audio-visuals were average at best (it was a relatively early game on the platform), and certainly a reworked version on the C-64 could have far superior audio-visuals with tighter control and slightly more forgiving gameplay. With all that in mind, however, myself and many others find a great deal to love with the creation we got. If you don't "get it," though, that's certainly OK.

• Like 1

Yes it looks great.

Just the way I thought.

It translate exactly the C64 looking, shame we don't have a colour chars mode 1:1 ratio like C64 or ZX.

Bill I hope you understand that I was only posting my opinion.

Of course that each has it's own opinion.

For older platform games I prefer more the ones like Manic Miner walking and jumping (that platforms and objects can also be in hi-res and even more colours on A8 because of DLIs and PMGs underlays). But not just because of the looking.

And you get that thing. I only now after you write that I notice that he wrote "TAXY". It doesn't exist in any language with an "Y" or exist?

:)

Edited by José Pereira

Sky Taxi seems better and makes more sense then using the "Y".

But what's the problem of having the same name?

Is this game still protected today? If it was then there would not be files to download in many C64 sites (and there's also a later Amstrad CPC conversion that isn't from MUSE. Was it an official version?).

We have more todays conversions that keeps the original name like Tezz's Manic Miner and Barbarian or Pavros IK+ so where's the problem?

Edited by José Pereira

I don't remember the controls being a problem in the C64 version. I remember it playing great. I used an Epyx joystick. It *did* get challenging on some levels with altered physics, but that's what made it so neat. It takes some practice to master. I think the reason I liked it so much was that it played a lot like Lunar Lander.

I like the graphics too. Nothing wrong for 1984. Creative and pretty. One of the top C64 games for sure. Great because it's a fun game, and it has such a variety of different levels.

I like Space Taxy just fine. (So who still owns the copyright?)

Edited by BillyHW