IGNORED

White smoke coming out of an AV Famicom system!

ataridave

So this past weekend, I ordered an official Nintendo AV Famicom console from a seller here in the US. I just got it today, and after I had it powered on for about 10 minutes (I could not get any picture out of it during this time) white smoke started coming out of the unit! :-o

I DID use the power adapter he sent me, and there's nothing wrong with the outlet that I had it plugged into.

I spend $145.00 on this unit, so I HOPE that this was just some kind of cleaning material burning off. :(

Edited by ataridave

$145 sounds like an awful hell of a lot of money just to play 8-bit NES games, but that aside, at least not ALL of the magic smoke leaked out! If you were able to capture any of it, you're going to want to put it back post haste. Else, expect a much shorter lifespan for your Famicon.

• Like 3

$145 sounds like an awful hell of a lot of money just to play 8-bit NES games, but that aside, at least not ALL of the magic smoke leaked out! If you were able to capture any of it, you're going to want to put it back post haste. Else, expect a much shorter lifespan for your Famicon.

That's not a bad price for a Japanese AV Famicom, and it was from a US seller, and I got free shipping and handling on it. I'm just fed up with the front-loaders, and with clones, and I LOVE NES and Famicom games. There wasn't that much smoke; the minute it came out, I would unplug the console. Right now, I'm just glad that it works; I doubt it was damaged that badly. I don't have any tools to take the weird-looking screws off, and neither did the guy at Radio Shack who helped me-and he had several tool kits.

Honestly, before I got it working again, I was ready to throw in the towel with retro gaming. I had that Intellivsion III with the jumping screen issues, the Jaguar power switch issue; I was fed up.

But, IMO, the games that come out today just don't hold a candle to most good retro games. (I am VERY interested in the PS3, for it's exclusives, but the prices of new PS3s are still too high, IMO.)

Edited by ataridave

Dried ice machine.

I've built over 30 machines that people paid way more than that to have built.

Edited by Drakon

Never claimed NES nuts had any taste, but since you brought it up... what kind of "builds" are you talking about? The stainless steel toaster kind? Something made out of solid mahogany? Special material found on the planet Gypsum that only a firm called Eye, Fleeceum and Howe refines? :rolling:

There is a company that makes consolized Neo Geo AES machines that uses mahogany as one of their wood types, on the outside of the consoles-which cost $600.00, but if it's worth it to someone, then it's worth it to them-that's all there is too it.

Sure. Of course. And exactly. :)

I don't have any tools to take the weird-looking screws off, and neither did the guy at Radio Shack who helped me-and he had several tool kits.

I bought a tool kit a couple of years ago when MicroCenter actually stocked one that filled my needs. Prior to that, I used the "melted BiC" tool trick to get those screws out.

This year, I bought some screws from a local outfit that deals in metric fasteners so that I could go through and do a systematic replacement of ALL the Gamebit screws in my systems. I actually plan on getting some resin to make a paperweight block with those *BLEEP*ing screws buried in it.

• Like 2

I bought a tool kit a couple of years ago when MicroCenter actually stocked one that filled my needs. Prior to that, I used the "melted BiC" tool trick to get those screws out.

This year, I bought some screws from a local outfit that deals in metric fasteners so that I could go through and do a systematic replacement of ALL the Gamebit screws in my systems. I actually plan on getting some resin to make a paperweight block with those *BLEEP*ing screws buried in it.

So, would a tool kit like this one do the trick for me?: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FNEW-3-8-MM-4-5-MM-GameBit-PLUS-DRIVER-Tool-Set-Nintendo-Sega-security-screw-nes-%2F161062032639%23vi-content

So this past weekend, I ordered an official Nintendo AV Famicom console from a seller here in the US. I just got it today, and after I had it powered on for about 10 minutes (I could not get any picture out of it during this time) white smoke started coming out of the unit! :-o

I DID use the power adapter he sent me, and there's nothing wrong with the outlet that I had it plugged into.

I spend $145.00 on this unit, so I HOPE that this was just some kind of cleaning material burning off. :(

Feel the power! :)

There is a company that makes consolized Neo Geo AES machines that uses mahogany as one of their wood types

Seems rather redundant to consolize an AES, I think you mean MVS.

Also, I'd check to see that the power filter cap in the AV Fami is blown, no way would "cleaning chemicals" create smoke like that.

Edited by ApolloBoy

Seems rather redundant to consolize an AES, I think you mean MVS.

Also, I'd check to see that the power filter cap in the AV Fami is blown, no way would "cleaning chemicals" create smoke like that.

Yeah, I meant MVS.

At any rate, I got my converter in the mail that allows me to play American NES games on the Famicom, and it works perfeclty! :)

• 1 month later...

Are there any Famicom 72 pin to 60 pin adaptors besides these?: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FFamicom-72-pin-to-60-pin-adaptor-Converter-for-nes-games-Console-Nintendo-System-%2F230920790837%3Fpt%3DUS_Video_Game_Cables_Adapters%26hash%3Ditem35c3f3a335

I have one, and while NES games work fine with it, it feels REALLY cheaply made, and I am looking for something a lot more well-built to play NES games on my Famicom AV with.