IGNORED

Anyone else start up a game just to hear the attract mode?

Sometimes, when I'm doing something like browsing the internet, cleaning house, or whatever, I'll just find a game and stick it in and turn it on, just to have the attract mode play as background noise. I've done this with Raiden and R-Type on my TG-16 most recently, but I've done it with several systems and games.

• Like 1

Yep.

Like Nikon, I liked loading up Lightening Force for that awesome opener and great music.

Gemfire for the SNES has a fantastic opening theme. It's probably my favorite SNES opening cinema of all.

The SegaCD was pretty good at this kind of thing, as it existed in a time where "full motion" game opening movies were extremely novel things. I remember particularly liking the openers for Sonic CD, Lunar: The Silver Star, and Silpheed. I also really enjoyed the theme music for Time Gal. It was peppy and catchy.

When I finally managed to get a copy of Ogre Battle, I would often let the game sit on the title screen just to hear that title splash fanfare. Great little tune.

I'm not sure what exactly it is, but I find the tune and visuals of the opening of Ace Combat 4 for the PS2 absolutely mesmerizing.

Yes--and the quality of an attract mode is important to me. As a kid I liked firing up Ballblazer and Super C a lot.

Now my standards have increased a bit. I *really* like Last Blade 2's attract mode. It has two extremely high quality intros that it mixes with the giga-spec identification and attract gameplay/highscores. Here are both intros:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpBbXLTSktA

Edited by Reaperman

Dragon's Lair and its brothers, Space Ace and Dragon's Lair II.

I love Don Bluth animation (An American Tail, The Secret of NIMH, The Land Before Time, All Dogs Go to Heaven, Anastasia, Titan AE) and his work on Dragon's Lair, Dragon's Lair II, and Space Ace are top notch.

I have the Dragon's Lair Trilogy on Wii and I have definitely turned it on just to watch the attract scenes. Also, the game offers a "watch mode" where you can view all three games as if they were just animated movies in addition to the classic arcade gameplay modes.

I've been known to let gameboy Tetris or Super Mario Land run just because I like the music.

I always realy liked the music from super mario land. I especially liked the world with the fish bones jumping up and down...... This will let you know what a wierd kid I was but I wrote lyrics to it when I was like 10.

A few times a year I like to fire up multiple systems at once, all with different classic games, to create a little bit of that arcade ambiance. It's a soothing cacophony with rapidly changing lights and colors cast from the different CRTs, something that most people probably wouldn't appreciate. That lasts for about 30 minutes to an hour before my wife tells me to pick one and stop wasting electricity :D

I do it all the time. Mega Man II, Donkey Kong, SMB 3, Captain America and the Avengers, Street Fighter Alpha II, and the original Star Wars Arcade (Gamecube Bonus Disk) are sne of my faves.

Sometimes I just put in a dvd of old Gamepro episodes with JD Roth and that other guy just for some game related noise.

TMNT arcade game

I used to live next door to a guy who had one of those. In his apartment. On the third floor. It took him, me, and the two moving guys (along with the removal of the control panel) about thirty minutes to get it up the stairs. Luckily, once it was in place, put back together, and plugged in, there were four of us there to test it out. :) :thumbsup: It was pretty loud for that little one bedroom apt, so I think he kept it unplugged most of the time.

I haven't turned a game on just for the attract mode (say, such as Raiden where there isn't really any music, it just bounces between a few scenes), but I have often turned on a game just to listen to the title screen music. Journey to Silius on the NES, Adventures of Batman & Robin on the Genesis, Sub Terrania on the Genesis, and Midnight Resistance on the Genesis are just a few I've done that with (frequently).

I started a similar thread a while back http://atariage.com/forums/topic/130099-ever-play-a-game-just-to-hear-the-music/ (wow, has it been almost 5 years?) and the answer is a hearty "yes"!

Had to go through my games list just to make sure I didn't leave any out:

California Games

Lynx

Klax

Warbirds

NES

Wizards & Warriors

Ironsword

Gauntlet

SuperNES

Super Metroid

Gamecube

Metroid Prime (sci-fi meets X-Files, if that makes sense)

Genesis

Flashback (minimal, but cool)

Golden Axe

The Immortal

Sonic the Hedgehog

Starflight

SegaCD

The SegaCD 2 default theme is actually not bad