IGNORED

Sonic the Hedgehog AKA Zippy the Porcupine Demo

Sprybug

Here it is everyone! I know there's still a few small bugs to resolve, but it's playable! This is Hill Zone 1. Now just 15 more levels to make, the overhead map selection, the boss battles, and a few other things. I hope I have enough ROM space to pull it off.

Controls:

Left/Right moves left right.

Fire/Action Button Jumps.

Down and Action button when standing still spins you up. Let go of the action button to let Zippy go!

I was originally going to have rings explode from Zippy when he got hit by an enemy but with the enemy still on screen I found it rather impossible to do, so here's my work-around. When you get hit by an enemy, the enemy "steals" your rings. To get some of them back you have to "pop" the enemy. Once the enemy goes off screen, so does the possibility to get your rings back.

Getting to the mid-point of the level will automatically set your checkpoint.

Use the springboards to get to the upper half of the level.

Everything else you'll need to find out on your own.

Enjoy!

zippy05.bas.bin

• Like 11

just watched the whole video really cool, you should add some music to it during gameplay like sonic has

I'm sure he will find a way to add it in. BG music shouldn't get in the way of programming since the TIA sound registers only need to be updated once per frame during the V-blank period, although the pitches are a little off. The "colored" notes IMO are just a unique part of the Atari aesthetic. If there's any spare room left over in any of the banks, it should be easy to implement. I just hope the audio loops are a little longer and faithful to the original than the NES pirate Somari. Even if the game isn't as colorful, it already looks like it plays better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb7qhAeNfPU

Stella's Stocking was 64k (granted it was a minigame collection, but still), so I saw why not? :grin:

Think about it: Sprybug could have made Princess Rescue 8 worlds long instead of 4, and possibly even included some water levels, if he'd had access to 64k...

Probably The level data in Princess takes up nearly 2 full banks (8k). all 32 levels would have been 16k in total, which would still leave me 24k to dink around with, enabling me to add something like underwater levels. I also would have been able to do all the soundtracks as well. It would have taken longer to release, but it would have been more complete.

• Like 1

I'm sure he will find a way to add it in. BG music shouldn't get in the way of programming since the TIA sound registers only need to be updated once per frame during the V-blank period, although the pitches are a little off. The "colored" notes IMO are just a unique part of the Atari aesthetic. If there's any spare room left over in any of the banks, it should be easy to implement. I just hope the audio loops are a little longer and faithful to the original than the NES pirate Somari. Even if the game isn't as colorful, it already looks like it plays better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb7qhAeNfPU

There's a few reasons why I didn't add music during gameplay. 1. Trying to mimic the gameplay soundtrack in Atari would have been difficult and taken up a lot of ROM space. 2. I ran out of RAM. Really. I have no extra RAM available to act as a pointer to another data table for music. In fact, I had to use the "lifecolor" variable to act as the sound effect data pointer! The reason why there is music at the end level & game over portions is because it's outside of the main game loop, releasing a lot of variables for me to use. Plus the jingles are short and don't take up much ROM space.

• Like 1

For all of you that want to know how PR works, so maybe you can implement some of my techniques in future programs, I do plan on releasing the BAS source after Al releases the ROM. Now, if any of you would be able to interpret the source that's a whole other story!

• Like 1

Oh, BTW, 64k for this project would be grand. I'm biting my lower lip on this one because I'm currently working on the overworld map routines and its really starting to make my ROM size shrink, not to mention I have yet to program the boss battles, other zones (that have different graphic configurations, collision detections, and enemies), an ending and title screen too. Right now here's my bank space:

Bank 1 (598 bytes left) the meat of the game. All Zippy's controls, screen calculations for scrolling, etc.

Bank 2 (501 bytes left) All of Player1's routines, item configurations, interactions with Zippy, Zippy frame setups for next drawscreen

Bank 3 (1151 bytes left) Screen scrolling routines and playfield graphic configurations/tables

Bank 4 (715 bytes left) level initializing, lots of custom playfield checks for collisions, enemy routines, routines for loop and tunnel.

Bank 5 (754 bytes left) Zone title screen routine, end level routine, game over routine, sound effects and music routines/tables, and using this bank to currently program overhead map routines.

Bank 6 (Lots) Reserved for level data

Bank 7 (Lots) Reserved for level data

Bank 8 (1044 byes left) Unused by program but a lot of space has been occupied by the many sprites in the game.

64k would be a very nice safety net for sure.

• Like 1

For all of you that want to know how PR works, so maybe you can implement some of my techniques in future programs, I do plan on releasing the BAS source after Al releases the ROM. Now, if any of you would be able to interpret the source that's a whole other story!

Whoo-hoo! Expect a lot of ROM hacks / alternate level packs, etc... :grin:

Whoo-hoo! Expect a lot of ROM hacks / alternate level packs, etc... :grin:

I'd actually would like to see what people would come up with for alternate levels. They would have to learn the format behind the level data tables though. I actually used a text editor to make the levels (Dos' Edit) and then used a separate program I made in QB64 to convert that text file into level data the game used.

• Like 1