IGNORED

Sonic the Hedgehog AKA Zippy the Porcupine Demo

Sprybug

Well, if you want something more real life like... :D

blogentry-10940-128667415382_thumb.gif

I like it. It's kind of like a realistic human-animorphism of a hedgehog. Sort of like Ninja Turtles!

I don't want to be perfectly on model with Sonic. I've added little personal touches and made it a tad imperfect.

Sprybug, I was by no means knocking your artwork. I actually think it's kind of cool the stylistic way you made it. Kind of reminds me of some of the knockoff plush toys and Chinese bootleg fanart, being just a little off compared to the official stuff.

For those interested, here are all three demo pieces.

Nice Zippy Title Screen:

Title.bas.bin

Followed by a Music Test:

Green Hill Zone music.bas.bin

And finally some game:

zippy05.bas.bin

Since this is now a 64K project, I don't know what will be next, so I thought I would put all three teasers in one post.

Well, if you want something more real life like... :D

blogentry-10940-128667415382_thumb.gif

LMAO. This reminds me. My friend and fellow animator made some quick Sonic character sketches for me for my birthday and I keep bugging her to scan them in so I can have them and share them with you!

• Like 1

I like it. It's kind of like a realistic human-animorphism of a hedgehog. Sort of like Ninja Turtles!

Sprybug, I was by no means knocking your artwork. I actually think it's kind of cool the stylistic way you made it. Kind of reminds me of some of the knockoff plush toys and Chinese bootleg fanart, being just a little off compared to the official stuff.

Yeah, even though I do animate for a living, my art side has always been my downside, even though I know a lot of the rules and techniques. My drawing control has always been an issue, which is why I use the drawing primitives a lot in Flash when I go over the top of my initial rough design. Helps me keep my curves, curvy instead of seizure-like. My ability to make things move really, really well has saved me as an animator. BTW, as suggested by "Game Grumps" Don't look up images of an echidna penis! No really. Don't. It'll scar you for life.

• Like 1

BTW, as suggested by "Game Grumps" Don't look up images of an echidna penis! No really. Don't. It'll scar you for life.

Thanks for the tip; I just goggled it. Holy cow, wtf!!! Assuming Sonic is the same height as Mario, the red plumber will probably lose big time in a swordfight... :-o

Edited by stardust4ever

Thanks. That was a joke I have in mind for long time until took some time to make.

Yeah, even though I do animate for a living, my art side has always been my downside, even though I know a lot of the rules and techniques. My drawing control has always been an issue, which is why I use the drawing primitives a lot in Flash when I go over the top of my initial rough design. Helps me keep my curves, curvy instead of seizure-like. My ability to make things move really, really well has saved me as an animator. BTW, as suggested by "Game Grumps" Don't look up images of an echidna penis! No really. Don't. It'll scar you for life.

I thought you have a background in art when I see your projects. I think you're good and this will make your games even better. :thumbsup:

About echdina, it's really a strange animal. It lay eggs! Figure if you have one like a dog in your house and times from times you see an egg in your garden, weird!

LMAO. This reminds me. My friend and fellow animator made some quick Sonic character sketches for me for my birthday and I keep bugging her to scan them in so I can have them and share them with you!

Sure! You can make a promo animation for this project. :)

Edited by LS_Dracon

Thanks. Right now Level 1 of Hill, Cave, and Star are working as with the enemies for those zones. Every zone has a different set of 3 enemies all of which work. I'm on Aqua right now, which yes is a water stage. I originally thought I was going to have to write a whole new routine for new physics, then it hit me....JUST SLOW THE GAME DOWN. So I added another drawscreen during the game cycle. I tried two, but it was a bit too sluggish. Not just that, I also am changing the jump and fall dynamics so he'll jump a bit higher and his terminal velocity on the fall won't be as fast. Bonus stuff for these zones: Removing the weird platform in Hill and replacing it with playfield blocks that will disappear when you jump on them. This idea came from what I did in Cave Zone. Cave zone has platforms that will disappear and appear when you step on them. These already function perfectly. Star has moving platforms like an elevator in certain spots that activate when you step on them. This functions perfectly as well. The upper area of Star has platforms you bounce off of and the big bumper too. This works too. Still have to add being able to walk into secret areas. Aqua is going to have a wall that will go away when you activate a button switch. Working on that at the moment. I still have yet to do anything for the boss battles, still have to incorporate music. The overworld map works mostly. I just have to refigure how I'm mapping out the levels and how you can get to each one. I also have to write up the routines yet on returning from a level back to the map. I also want to add a bonus minigame that can be accessed from the upper parts of the levels if you find the springboard. It'll catapault you up into this static screen where you bounce around and collect as many coins as you can before falling back into the main gameplay again. So, that's where it's all at right now.

• Like 2

Yay, water stages!!!

5 thums up! :-D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Just curious, is there gonna be a breath timer?

I wanted to, but I have no more RAM for an extra counter. I had to go through a lot of my code just so I can free up one more variable to do music. You can just breathe underwater.

• Like 1

Perhaps I'm the odd one out here, but I for one am pleased to know there won't be a breath timer. I swear whenever I play Sonic and the drowning music starts my blood pressure goes through the roof.

Although to be the devil's advocate, do you have no variables you could temporarily borrow for the timer or is the game that packed?

• Like 1

Perhaps I'm the odd one out here, but I for one am pleased to know there won't be a breath timer. I swear whenever I play Sonic and the drowning music starts my blood pressure goes through the roof.

Although to be the devil's advocate, do you have no variables you could temporarily borrow for the timer or is the game that packed?

None. I had to go back and readjust things just so I would have a spare one to be able to do music during gameplay.

• Like 1

that bonus round sounds like a nod to Sonic Spinball. Toxic Caves (level 1 of that game) is a GREAT song. hint hint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khk6hWmWLFA

I like the bassline and the song itself sounds like it can loop pretty easily if I just do the basics of the song, which won't make it very long at all. I just need to see if I can find the sheet music so I can attempt a transposition to the 2600.

• Like 2

Aqua Zone: Another great composition, Sprybug!

It it original? I don't recall it in any Sonic.

It isn't the tune in "Aquatic Zone." That goes do, do, do, deeee, dubby, dubby, do... Bubba, do, do, do deee, bup, buppy, doooo...

(Well, that was weird.)

Thanks. It's from "Labyrinth Zone" from the original Sonic the Hedgehog. It was the underwater levels.

• Like 1

Thanks. It's from "Labyrinth Zone" from the original Sonic the Hedgehog. It was the underwater levels.

I just watched labyrinth zone and your tune is right on. I've played sonic 1, 2 and three and that's really unfamiliar (not saying that's a bad thing, just saying.)

Here's another morsel. It's for Cave Zone from "Marble Zone" on STH1. This tune may seem a little more familiar.

Oh yeah, that's recognisable. Damn couple sour notes! Although it really says Atari 2600. Love it!

Would you rather leave the off key notes there, like in "Gyruss," or drop them out and let your memory fill them in?

I would like to hear it with the sour notes dropped out.

Can you PM me the CZ bas file?