IGNORED

Sonic the Hedgehog AKA Zippy the Porcupine Demo

Sprybug

Let's See. Anacortes, WA for my first 21 years, then a few years in Arlington, WA, then Clearlake, WA for about 5, another short stint back in Anacortes, then went to Vancouver, BC for a year for my animation schooling, then back for another stint in Anacortes, then from there Portland, OR where I reside today.

I've been making my own personal games in BASIC since I was 9 back on the TRS-80 Model III, and Tandy Color Computer series, then when I got my own PC I diddled with their BASICs for a while. I made my own personal game with a 3D programming engine called DarkBASIC about 10 years ago. I was always into music and was in the Concert and Swing Choirs and Stage Band as a Pianist in High School. I was in a Celtic band as a guitarist and keyboardist for a couple years. I wrote my own music for a time as well.

There you go.

He works as an illustrator/animator, did basic programming as a hobby, and used to play keyboard and guitar in a band. To make a decent game, you need to fill three jobs:

Coder

Sprite Artist

Composer

Chris Spry fills all of those positions nicely! :music:

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

He works as an illustrator/animator, did basic programming as a hobby, and used to play keyboard and guitar in a band. To make a decent game, you need to fill three jobs:

Coder

Sprite Artist

Composer

Chris Spry fills all of those positions nicely! :music:

Thanks, it probably does help and I've played video games since the Atari was king. When it comes to 2D platformers, I have a love for SMB, Mega Man, Sonic, and some others. They're a good example of platformer game design and I try to replicate it the best I can on with these.

• Like 1

be prepared for sega to put the kabash on this project word leaked out on the mtv site:http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2013/09/18/sonic-the-hedgehog-is-finally-coming-to-the-atari-2600/

Nooooooo... It must remain a secret to Joe Public, until after the cart release!!! :spidey:

If IP turns to be a really concern, I would suggest a blue armadillo in the place of a porcupine.

I always liked very much armadillos!

Armadillos are funny looking creatures... Anyone see the roadkill Armadillo in the animated flick Rango? I swear they're roadkill waiting to happen crossing the highway at night. I've been moon-biking on a local bike path near the river lately (because here in the south, even though it's September we're still hitting 100+ degrees during the day, and I'm not a morning person) and I nearly hit an armadillo with my road bike the other night. I didn't see it until I was like 10 feet away from it. Swerved just in time. Definitely would not have been a pretty sight had my skinny road tire bisected him. :-o

BTW, you can't make a game about an armadillo. Why? Because Nintendo has an IP starring Armadillos. Better not stir up any more trouble. :ponder:

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/8d0kSEesWcvH0tB2kgOUFS5U0S4g9Ywf

Edited by stardust4ever

be prepared for sega to put the kabash on this project word leaked out on the mtv site:http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2013/09/18/sonic-the-hedgehog-is-finally-coming-to-the-atari-2600/

Yeah, I saw that, but they did one on Princess Rescue too long before IGN and I guess Nintendo never saw it.

The demo is going to be released as is, but we'll see what we're going to do with the official release.

BTW, the demo is just about ready and I'll post it here so those who can't be at the PRGE, can enjoy it through Stella.

• Like 1

I just tried the demo. Well that's just a demo for sure, but I'm not sure the 2600 is the system for that kind of game. I'll wait and see for another demo later ;)

For the ring thing, maybe you can use the same workaround as Sega did for the Master System versions of Sonic : rather than dropping all rings, you just drop one ring.

Yeah, I saw that, but they did one on Princess Rescue too long before IGN and I guess Nintendo never saw it.

The demo is going to be released as is, but we'll see what we're going to do with the official release.

BTW, the demo is just about ready and I'll post it here so those who can't be at the PRGE, can enjoy it through Stella.

Sprybug, will the demo run on Harmony (32k)? I ask because that's how I prefer to play games - on real hardware! Keyboard sucks IMO and for some reason I can't get Stella to recognize the fire button on my gamepad USB adapters (even though the buttons work in Control Panel - maybe Stella just doesn't like retroUSB adapters IDK). I know the final game will be 64k and that will be fine for me assuming I get an official cart release.

Edited by stardust4ever

Sprybug, will the demo run on Harmony (32k)? I ask because that's how I prefer to play games - on real hardware! Keyboard sucks IMO and for some reason I can't get Stella to recognize the fire button on my gamepad USB adapters (even though the buttons work in Control Panel - maybe Stella just doesn't like retroUSB adapters IDK). I know the final game will be 64k and that will be fine for me assuming I get an official cart release.

good question stardust. Iwas thinking the same thing

for some reason I can't get Stella to recognize the fire button on my gamepad USB adapters (even though the buttons work in Control Panel - maybe Stella just doesn't like retroUSB adapters IDK).

Probably a silly question, but I assume you've tried remapping the button in Stella? Perhaps send me a PM on this, and we can try to track down the bug.

I just tried the demo. Well that's just a demo for sure, but I'm not sure the 2600 is the system for that kind of game. I'll wait and see for another demo later ;)

For the ring thing, maybe you can use the same workaround as Sega did for the Master System versions of Sonic : rather than dropping all rings, you just drop one ring.

I had a Game Gear in the early 90's with the original Sonic game and it was basically the same as the Master System version. Sure, you drop one ring, but you don't have the chance to get it back and all your rings were gone. This way, you at least have a shot to get some of your rings back by defeating the enemy that made you lose them in the first place. The Atari technically can only have 2 sprites on the screen at one time, along with 3 other objects (2 missiles & 1 ball). There are ways around it, but with everything else I have to do and Batari's limitations (although it is one pretty awesome beast), this method is probably the best way.

I'm not trying to make an exact Sonic game, but I'm trying my best to make a sonic-like game on a system that can have good games. It's just all up to the ones making them.

• Like 1

I wish I could. But most of the code in the 64k version is being used for this demo. All the music, most of the routines are all in use. I'm showcasing every zone in the demo and each zone has their own unique enemies and characteristics. Even the soundtrack and playing routines for the 4 zones takes up almost all of 8k.

• Like 1

Probably a silly question, but I assume you've tried remapping the button in Stella? Perhaps send me a PM on this, and we can try to track down the bug.

When I attempt to access the remapping screen, the game recognises the D-pad and maps it accordingly, but none of the action buttons seems to register. I have used the RetroUSB NES adapter with NES gamepad, and the RetroUSB Genesis 6-button adapter with both Atari joysticks and 3/6 button Sega gamepads, and I can successfully map the d-pad in Stella but none of the action buttons are recognized. All of the action buttons do show up in the Windows Control Panel without issue so I'm not sure what's going on exactly. I know the red fire button on the Atari joystick, when used with the Sega Genesis USB adapter, illuminates two of the lights on the Windows control panel rather than just one. I believe this corresponds to "A" and "B" on a Genesis. This is due to the fact that the red fire button on the Atari joystick outputs a low signal regardless of whether the "select" line is low or high. The adapters I use for emulation can be found on the following page:

http://www.retrousb.com/index.php?cPath=21

In short,on all the RetroUSB branded adapters I have tried, the 8-way Dpad works in Stella, but not the individual buttons. Stella is also the only software where I'm having issues getting the RetroUSB adapters to work.

I never bought the Atari version because by default the Atari controllers are already backwards compatible with the Genesis USB adapter. The RetroUSB SNES adapter is also logically identical to the NES version, just with a different plug, and in fact I can swap between NES/SNES controllers using a homemade converter cable.

Edited by stardust4ever

There are ways around it, but with everything else I have to do and Batari's limitations (although it is one pretty awesome beast), this method is probably the best way.

I'm not trying to make an exact Sonic game, but I'm trying my best to make a sonic-like game on a system that can have good games. It's just all up to the ones making them.

Aye. I was just suggesting.

I an neither implying that Batari or you are not good enough. It's just that with so many hardware limitations, there is game styles that can't work on the 2600. A point'n'click for example wouldn't work really, right? much like a semi graphical text adventure game. Or a fighting game. Tho maybe Double Dragon could have been better? But a SFII on the 2600... I'm not sure it will play well.

Now, that's my feeling at this stage of the demo. If you can make a Sonic game as good as Princess Rescue, I'll be impressed, by both your skills and the capacities of the 2600. And in fact I wait for it ;) Just being curious at this stage.

Aye. I was just suggesting...

It's just that with so many hardware limitations, there is game styles that can't work on the 2600.

The processing on the Atari is just so raw that anything is near impossible to program, yet nearly anything is possible. Remember, the Atari was only designed initially to run games like PONG and COMBAT. The fact that developers were able to do anything more than that is a shear miracle. I highly recommend reading the book "racing the beam" if you haven't already. I gained much appreciation for the little system.

Just tested the game on real hardware using a 64K bankswitch board. :)

attachicon.gifzippy_1.jpg

attachicon.gifzippy_2.jpg

..Al

Albert thanks for the pics and testing it out on the real deal! I'm glad you showed me the pic, because the titlescreen is supposed to have a black background. My cycle debug is still on in the code and I know when you first start the game, that count can go over on power-up, causing the background screen to be a different color (indicating a cycle violation). I'll be sure to take that out and give you an updated version of the code. I also came across a couple different things too that might cause the game to go over the allotted cycles, albeit rare. I'm going to try to weed those out as well.

• Like 1

So... Princess Rescue, clone of Mario... and Zippy the Porcupine, clone of Sonic the Hedgehog... Next is Bonk, isn't it? :P

That or The Legend of Zelda, or Kirby, or Mega Man.

Probably not. After Zippy I'll take a break and then work on an original game. I like platformers that give you different power ups while you play. So to take advantage of what the Atari gives me to play with, the idea is to have a character that's just one solid color and when it obtains a power-up, the color changes to represent that power (like Mega Man) and you can use that power to attack or maybe get to a part of a level that you couldn't before. I would like to experiment with DPC+ on the next project as well, which would give me more sprites to play with along with higher screen resolutions. I know scrolling doesn't exist (yet), so I'd experiment with writing my own scrolling code.

• Like 3

So... Princess Rescue, clone of Mario... and Zippy the Porcupine, clone of Sonic the Hedgehog... Next is Bonk, isn't it? :P

That or The Legend of Zelda, or Kirby, or Mega Man.

I was introduced to Bonk's Adventure through Wii Virtual console. An Atari version of Bonk would be awesome. I always thought Bonk played a little bit clunkier compared to Mario and sonic (although still great fun) but that just added to the caveman motif. Played on the Atari, the primitive graphics would make the game even more caveman like, but in a really cool neat retro way. Just because Bonk was the underdog during the Mario/sonic wars, doesn't mean he can't kick butt! :grin: