IGNORED

Sonic the Hedgehog AKA Zippy the Porcupine Demo

Sprybug

I'd honestly like to see a Sprybug original. Playing the game of "see if the copyright holder notices" isn't any fun.

Sprybug, if you decide to do an original game, will it be a new scrolling platformer building on the game engines from Princess Rescue and Zippy, or will it be another genre entirely? I generally love good platformers provided their not tough-as-nails (like Megaman, for instance).

Sprybug, if you decide to do an original game, will it be a new scrolling platformer building on the game engines from Princess Rescue and Zippy, or will it be another genre entirely? I generally love good platformers provided their not tough-as-nails (like Megaman, for instance).

Yes, the next will definitely be an original. Once I finish bringing platforms that I wanted to see done on the Atari and showcase what I can do, which will be after Zippy BTW, I'll begin on an original game. The idea is already in the back of my mind. I mentioned it in a different Zippy post somewhere, but I'll also mention it here. I want to do a platformer with lots of opportunities for different power-ups. I want to experiment with DPC+, make my own 4 way scrolling engine since DPC+ doesn't support scrolling. This means I have to start from scratch and won't be able to use any of my existing code, however I can use what I learned from the other games I made and use them as some sort of foundation. I'll also use Atari's limitations to my advantage in this game, making the character one solid color and when you get a power-up your color will change depending on the power-up. Using this method will save on ROM space with sprites and no color tables, since I only need to do one character and all its action sprites, just only have to change the player color. Kind of like how Mega-Man just changes color, except the entire sprite will change color.

• Like 3

Yes, the next will definitely be an original. Once I finish bringing platforms that I wanted to see done on the Atari and showcase what I can do, which will be after Zippy BTW, I'll begin on an original game. The idea is already in the back of my mind. I mentioned it in a different Zippy post...

I'm with you 100%, but some quick facts about DPC+ are vertical scrolling of an up to 256 byte playfield is implemented thanks to RevEng (but you can still program your own engine). Didn't know if you knew that. Also every line of every sprite needs a color defined. You can have single byte color for playfields or background though. I have also thought up ways to use data statements for playfield and with RevEng and Bogax routines to draw and push playfield data. Note to self: I should figure how to use data statements for players and colors because I tend to fill the graphics bank with super detailed playfields.

Still, the normally defined playfields sprites and colors all get copied to the graphics

Bank (I hate to say bank 7 because it can't be used like a bank and it is invisible) but space isnt used in the banks you define PF sprites and colors.

If that is hard to grasp, I can't teach well and it probably reads like nonsence.

I read up on DPC+ today, especially about the scrolling. I just realized that it only has vertical scrolling and not horizontal. For a 4 to 8 way scroll, I would need the horizontal which would still mean I'd have to write up my own code for it. I noticed also that the screen memory is now located within the Melody's memory, so I'm not entirely sure how I would do it.

• Like 1

I read up on DPC+ today, especially about the scrolling. I just realized that it only has vertical scrolling and not horizontal. For a 4 to 8 way scroll, I would need the horizontal which would still mean I'd have to write up my own code for it. I noticed also that the screen memory is now located within the Melody's memory, so I'm not entirely sure how I would do it.

SeaGtGruff might have some leads as he developed a horizontal scrolling library:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/201378-horizontal-scrolling-help/?do=findComment&comment=2578289

I really hope this gets ported to the DPC+ kernel. I know you'll get to 4 way scrolling before I do Sprybug :)

SeaGtGruff might have some leads as he developed a horizontal scrolling library:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/201378-horizontal-scrolling-help/?do=findComment&comment=2578289

I really hope this gets ported to the DPC+ kernel. I know you'll get to 4 way scrolling before I do Sprybug :)

Would this be compatible with DPC+ though? It seems that DPC+ holds the playfield data in its own memory configuration, unlike the standard kernel.

• Like 1

Would this be compatible with DPC+ though? It seems that DPC+ holds the playfield data in its own memory configuration, unlike the standard kernel.

Naw, dawg. SeaGtGruff was about to think about how to implement DPC+ support. I was hoping your two big brains could figure out how to access the memory and bit shift it left and right :)

Let's all pray that this game makes it to cart release before Sega gets wind of it. Then again, hopefully Sega doesn't get as butthurt as Nintendo when it comes to fan made homages. :ponder:

Sorry, we've moved on to hot girls:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/217673-rpg-project/

If you don't have any hot girls or at least a nude porcupine, we're not interested. :D

LOL. Yeah, I've been keeping up on that. The RPG chick with outlines and the big ass.

What about the bar drawings of the cross-dressing Echidna? That's gotta count for something! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations, this is the first bB project that I wouldn't have guessed was a bB project just by looking at the gameplay. Very nice work.

I do wonder if the final product (or the 4-level demo posted elsewhere) could be hacked into a multi-load Harmony game. But reading on the other thread that there are new versions of the Harmony coming soon (first I've heard of it, damn Invision for its spotty new topic notifications) makes me think that would be a lot of work for a stopgap measure.

Congratulations, this is the first bB project that I wouldn't have guessed was a bB project just by looking at the gameplay. Very nice work.

I do wonder if the final product (or the 4-level demo posted elsewhere) could be hacked into a multi-load Harmony game. But reading on the other thread that there are new versions of the Harmony coming soon (first I've heard of it, damn Invision for its spotty new topic notifications) makes me think that would be a lot of work for a stopgap measure.

Have you seen Princess Rescue? That was also made by Batari BASIC.

The demo is technically a 64k game, so unless you have a way to go beyond that on a multi-game format, it probably won't happen.

The demo does have a lot of dead code space that is reserved for the final make and right now it's getting pretty full as I'm getting closer and closer to finishing this.

However with all the tables, code, music, etc. The demo ended up using a little bit more than 32k in the end.

• Like 1

Have you seen Princess Rescue? That was also made by Batari BASIC.

Yeah, despite the horizontal scrolling, the way the playfield looks in PR made me immediately think bB. It's those Surround-style evenly spaced blank lines. I think PR is a stunning achievement too, but this one looks and feels like an asm project to me.

Maybe after all is said and done you can do a separate demo for each of the 4 levels compiled for harmony, like a pack of 4 Harmony compatible ROMs that you unzip into the Harmony cart. In other words, if the demo is just over 32k with 4 levels and four custom music tracks, then it might fit in a four pack of 32k demo ROMs with just one level and one music theme per ROM.

At the very least release a Harmony compatible 32k one level Hill Zone demo with full background music. A "full" 64k demo for Stella and a "lite" 32k demo for Harmony. Just a thought.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...