IGNORED

Sonic the Hedgehog AKA Zippy the Porcupine Demo

Sprybug

It's the same reason my aborted VCS DK clone years ago was called "Congorilla". Nintendo has trademark lawyers, bootleg and knockoff makers usually don't. (Besides, I played a Congorilla machine before I played Donkey Kong, back in the day.)

I personally would be staying away from "DK" when doing a clone, since Nintendo has called Donkey Kong "DK" in his post-Rareware form. But I guess this is the wrong thread for that kind of advice. I do think making Zippy a blue porcupine might be a little risky. Apparently "Princess Rescue" was too close even with the sprites, board layouts and name being different, so, you know, proceed with caution and all that.

Commander Keen, on the other hand, was non-infringing even after starting life as a pixel-for-pixel Mario clone, as did Supertux -- and you know what? I've actually played more hours of Commander Keen than I ever did of 2D Mario games -- so maybe just making an original scrolling platformer for the 2600 is what someone needs to do.

Edited by raindog

For Zippy and PR fans, if you like "Kong" clones, in addition to the two VCS games currently in development, here's a new clone for SNES you've got to try out:

http://pikointeractive.com/store.html#!/~/product/category=0&id=30245484

Would if there was a ROM to try it out

As for Zippy keep going as your doing see what happens Nintendo has nothing to do with this game I hope

^^There is a ROM freely available. I can't paste link atm since I'm using 3DS browser. Do a Google search for Classic Kong. The ROM along with source is available somewhere in Google Code. If only someone took the code and remade the DKII arcade hack, that would be sweet as hell.

• 2 months later...

That 1 up island video was awful. Wow, it's guys like that that give our hobby a bad name. I don't even think his mutton chops could help him get laid. Awful camera work, bad commentary, trying way too hard to be funny all add up to a crap video.

-mike

Yeah, that guy in the video was definitely a douche.

Sprybug is lurking again it seems. Not MIA, just lurking since his profile shows recent login activity. I have faith he'll pop back in when there's something to report.

Edited by stardust4ever

That 1 up island video was awful. Wow, it's guys like that that give our hobby a bad name. I don't even think his mutton chops could help him get laid. Awful camera work, bad commentary, trying way too hard to be funny all add up to a crap video.

-mike

Yep assholes like that are just screaming for a punch in the throat IMO.

I know a few things.

Sprybug is very busy with real life work deadlines.

Zippy is done and being play tested and bug-fixed.

Zippy doesn't stick to walls any more (instead of falling).

I could free up a few kilobytes for use, but he's a solo kind of programmer, and quite efficient!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for giving the update here Iesposta.

I've been paying a lot more attention to the Beta test Zippy thread and my messenger.

I just thought I should check the old thread out today to see if anyone had any questions or saying anything.

The manual is halfway finished. The label art is just about finished as well.

The game is in final beta testing stages.

Once it's ready to go into production, which will be really soon, it's all up to Albert on when it gets out.

• Like 1

Not even joking, this was the game that pushed me to begin looking into the Atari 2600. Saw a demo of it a while back when it was first announced -- someone posted a link to it on reddit.com and I thought it was just one of the coolest things I had ever seen.

Good luck! Can't wait for this to be released!

• Like 3

Not even joking, this was the game that pushed me to begin looking into the Atari 2600. Saw a demo of it a while back when it was first announced -- someone posted a link to it on reddit.com and I thought it was just one of the coolest things I had ever seen.

Good luck! Can't wait for this to be released!

There was also the awesome Mario clone Princess Rescue, also by Sprybug. Sadly AtariAge got a take down notice from the big N, but you can still download the ROM to play in Harmony, or get really lucky and pay out your ass for a copy on eBay. :P

No release date. Wait for Albert to update the store. Lots of upcoming goodies I'm waiting for:

Zipppy

Circus AtariAge

Stay Frosty 2

Byte Before Christmas

Piñata

DK Arcade

Star Castle Arcade

I am actively working on getting most of these ready. :)

..Al

• Like 1