IGNORED

Sonic the Hedgehog AKA Zippy the Porcupine Demo

Sprybug

Also, my order from the 4th November is still pending. Albert's busy little elves drank a bit too much Egg-nog this year? :dunce:

There are two things at play. One, is like CPU said, work is taking a great deal of my time at the moment as we're trying to get an app submitted to the App Store by mid-next week. But the bigger issue is when I started building the Piñata carts, we found an issue with the game running on real carts that wasn't evident in earlier testing. I had been using a Melody board to test, but the cartridges sold in the store are using a regular 2600 bankswitch board, and the game had...unexpected behavior on the regular board.

I should have a resolution today or tomorrow, which will allow me to get completely caught up on orders. I'm going to send email out to everyone today who ordered Piñata as part of their order to explain the delay.

..Al

But the bigger issue is when I started building the Piñata carts, we found an issue with the game running on real carts that wasn't evident in earlier testing. I had been using a Melody board to test, but the cartridges sold in the store are using a regular 2600 bankswitch board, and the game had...unexpected behavior on the regular board.

I should have a resolution today or tomorrow, which will allow me to get completely caught up on orders. I'm going to send email out to everyone today who ordered Piñata as part of their order to explain the delay.

..Al

That is unfortunate. Assuming the Piniata ROM was tested on a Harmony cart which is Melody based, or in Stella, I can see why issues may or may not have cropped up. Piko Interactive had a similar issue last year with his custom repro SNES boards and Rockfall (a Boulderdash clone for SNES which uses Mode 7 graphics to unique effect). Still waiting for that one, LOL! The aforementioned SNES ROM presumably ran fine on the Everdrive and PowerPaks as well as EPROM repros, but had issues with Piko's custom boards. Because the lockout circuit was integrated into the mapper, it wasn't possible to separate them. :P

Just to let you know, I'm not in a rush or anything, even though it may seem that way because I mentioned it twice. Just a heads up will do. Hopefully you get all your little elves in line soon... ;)

Also good luck on your app. Just curious what kind of app it is, unless you're under an NDA... :ponder:

Also my apologies for derailing Sprybug's Zippy topic with talk of Pinata. :dunce:

That is unfortunate. Assuming the Piniata ROM was tested on a Harmony cart which is Melody based, or in Stella, I can see why issues may or may not have cropped up. Piko Interactive had a similar issue last year with his custom repro SNES boards and Rockfall (a Boulderdash clone for SNES which uses Mode 7 graphics to unique effect). Still waiting for that one, LOL! The aforementioned SNES ROM presumably ran fine on the Everdrive and PowerPaks as well as EPROM repros, but had issues with Piko's custom boards. Because the lockout circuit was integrated into the mapper, it wasn't possible to separate them. :P

This particular issue isn't due to the hardware, but the differences in hardware between the Melody and the regular bankswitch board did reveal an issue with the game that needed to be corrected. First time I've seen a game run on the Melody but not a legacy board.

Also good luck on your app. Just curious what kind of app it is, unless you're under an NDA... :ponder:

I can't say what it is, but it's a rewrite of an existing app for iOS 8.

..Al

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No, I believe a bubsy game would be the perfect platformer for the 2600.

Hehe, can't unsee. I know that game gets a lot of crap, but I enjoyed it on the SNES when it first came out. I remember renting it on a weekend when my parents were looking at campers and I read the entire manual and the included comic before I got a chance to play it. I got pretty far but was never able to beat it. When people review it, I find that a lot of people don't play it correctly and then whine about the problems, when the problem is really the person playing it. It's a little different in the controls, but once you get the hang of it, it's actually a pretty wild and sometimes frustrating ride. I think I'm done porting titles over to the Atari 2600 and want to focus on my own stuff now, but it'd still be fun to see on the 2600.

• Like 1

Hehe, can't unsee. I know that game gets a lot of crap, but I enjoyed it on the SNES when it first came out. I remember renting it on a weekend when my parents were looking at campers and I read the entire manual and the included comic before I got a chance to play it. I got pretty far but was never able to beat it. When people review it, I find that a lot of people don't play it correctly and then whine about the problems, when the problem is really the person playing it. It's a little different in the controls, but once you get the hang of it, it's actually a pretty wild and sometimes frustrating ride. I think I'm done porting titles over to the Atari 2600 and want to focus on my own stuff now, but it'd still be fun to see on the 2600.

And they made not one, but two of them for the SNES. I own both; haven't played them yet. Shame on me, or not... :P

Edited by stardust4ever

And they made not one, but two of them for the SNES. I own both; haven't played them yet. Shame on me, or not... :P

I just picked up Bubsy for the SNES over the weekend at the NWCGE for $3! :D It was better than the Genesis version.

I played the 2nd one a little and I didn't really like it that much. And then there's.......Bubsy 3D for the PS1.........D:

Game Grumps can play the 3D one and kill it all they want, but they better not touch the first one, because I know they'll play it wrong and then say it sucks.

Edited by Sprybug
  • Like 3

Heh, great returning to the bB scene and seeing stuff like this.

Are you making your own kernels or relying on some of the shared ones?

Your aesthetic of your ports reminds me a bit of the transition from Gameboy Super Mario Land to Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (also the Mega Man port for GB) -- you do a great job of masking some of the limitations and (proportionately) small area by zooming in and using colorful, oversized characters.

I just picked up Bubsy for the SNES over the weekend at the NWCGE for $3! :D It was better than the Genesis version.

I played the 2nd one a little and I didn't really like it that much. And then there's.......Bubsy 3D for the PS1.........D:

Game Grumps can play the 3D one and kill it all they want, but they better not touch the first one, because I know they'll play it wrong and then say it sucks.

Cool You're a Grumps fan too

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Any news?

If you've been following the Homebrew release schedule thread, Albert has stated he is extremely busy lately but also added that two of the upcoming games will be sold 100 CIB copies on the forums only. Of these two, only one of them will be available in the AA store later.

Now this should be taken with a grain of salt, but everyone knows of the Princess Rescue debacle in 2013 and there is a high chance the same could happen with Zippy. So despite zero real confirmation from Albert, I am inferring that Zippy will be one of the games getting only a limited forum release. I could be wrong though.

Also see here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/241534-homebrew-release-schedule-for-atari-age-store/?p=3317912

post-3-0-43569100-1441853172.jpg

However, I may be to get one or two Atari 2600 games available this month. One of them will only have 100 boxed copies available, and likely no additional copies after that. The other will also have 100 boxed copies available, and after that loose copies (with manual) will be made available in the store. Both of these boxed games will be made available only via the forums, and I will only announce them once I have built 100 copies of each so they are ready to ship. No guarantees I will be able to do this, and if not, those two games will also be available after PRGE.

Edited by stardust4ever

It's likely now that I'm going to split sales of the boxed copy of the game between the Portland Retro Gaming Expo and the forums (upon my return from the show). Chris Spry will be at the show, and he has offered to sign copies of the game for those who purchase it at the show. Once the boxed copies are gone, I will continue to sell the game as a cartridge with the manual (but no box).

..Al

• Like 1

It's likely now that I'm going to split sales of the boxed copy of the game between the Portland Retro Gaming Expo and the forums (upon my return from the show). Chris Spry will be at the show, and he has offered to sign copies of the game for those who purchase it at the show. Once the boxed copies are gone, I will continue to sell the game as a cartridge with the manual (but no box).

..Al

I would love to go to Portland and get a signed box from Spry, but it's too far away sadly. :sad:

Regardless, I'm looking forward to getting my mitts on a boxed copy of this, signed or not. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

spry already had playtesting for zippy on emu since at the the time harmony encore wasn't out then.

would love to get copy of zippy along with other 2600/7800 stuff

Yeah, I was one of the Beta testers. I was just wondering if we would get a shot at a boxed copy early to make sure we could get one.