IGNORED

Sonic the Hedgehog AKA Zippy the Porcupine Demo

Sprybug

oh miss understood your question, it would be nice if we playtesters get a copy of the cart(I was one as well,but didn't do much with it)

No worries. I had fun with the playtesting, I actually played it on Stella the other day and it made me wish I had more time to get back into programming... maybe I'll have time this summer.

I playtested Princess Rescue on real hardware. A number of my suggestions like the twin Goombas using sprite duplication made it into the final build. I released this World 2 preview video back when only the World 1 demo was publicly available:

Warning: I swear a lot in this video... :pirate:

I wanted to do beta testing on Zippy but it wouldn't run on my Harmony obviously and I didn't feel like firing up the PC to mess around in Stella so I just waited patiently for it's inevitable release...

• 1 month later...

My CIB Zippy arrived from Albert. Been playing it a bit tonight. Neat how Sprybug designed the game to start on a random zone so that people who can't beat it in one go can at least experience more of the game.

Anyway, I got stuck in Aqua Zone 2. There is a chasm that's too wide to cross and the ledge on the ceiling is too high to jump on. Need some advice.

post-33189-0-83049800-1447122208_thumb.jpg

My CIB Zippy arrived from Albert. Been playing it a bit tonight. Neat how Sprybug designed the game to start on a random zone so that people who can't beat it in one go can at least experience more of the game.

Anyway, I got stuck in Aqua Zone 2. There is a chasm that's too wide to cross and the ledge on the ceiling is too high to jump on. Need some advice.

attachicon.gifStuck_in_Aqua_Zone_2.jpg

I'm trying to remember if this is the one where you need to jump across the chasm to hit the switch? And if you don't make the jump you got to use the springboard back...but this doesn't look like it. Hold on....let me fire up my Atawi......

OKAY! Yeah, on the left side, that you can't see in your screenshot, scroll over a bit and another ledge will be there. It's one level lower than the one you need to get to on the right. You can run and jump up to the ledge on the left and then use that to jump to the one on the right.

Thanks for getting the game. I know it's not on the store yet. A forum offer?

• Like 1

I'm trying to remember if this is the one where you need to jump across the chasm to hit the switch? And if you don't make the jump you got to use the springboard back...but this doesn't look like it. Hold on....let me fire up my Atawi......

OKAY! Yeah, on the left side, that you can't see in your screenshot, scroll over a bit and another ledge will be there. It's one level lower than the one you need to get to on the right. You can run and jump up to the ledge on the left and then use that to jump to the one on the right.

Thanks for getting the game. I know it's not on the store yet. A forum offer?

Yeah I tried jumping to the left ledge (not visible in the screenshot) but couldn't reach it. Do I need to spin dash to jump up there? I know jump height is proportional to speed, something that takes a bit of getting used to compared to the physics of the original. Nice to finally play it. I also made it to the bonus stages a couple times. How do I collect the emerald?

Yeah I tried jumping to the left ledge (not visible in the screenshot) but couldn't reach it. Do I need to spin dash to jump up there? I know jump height is proportional to speed, something that takes a bit of getting used to compared to the physics of the original. Nice to finally play it. I also made it to the bonus stages a couple times. How do I collect the emerald?

You need to run, get full (or mostly full) speed and jump starting from right to left. You won't be able to run right, jump and then momentum back left. I just did it on my emulator to figure out what the issue was. I'm not at home right now to try on my real deal to see if there is a difference, but there shouldn't be.

• Like 2

I also am checking the store twice a day now.

I'll save you a couple of clicks. Here's the link:

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1051

Please note it's not live and you cannot purchase it yet. It's just a placeholder currently, but you can see "Zippy the Porcupine (Boxed) - Atari 2600" in the title bar. :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I totally stoked. Got mine ordered and I'm looking forward to receiving it. Of course I can still play the ROM in emulation but I'm looking forward to playing this on my 7800. Thanks again Sprybug!

Yeah, I just checked it out today too just by chance. Cool to see it in there. Been waiting for this day for a long time. As for the ROM, it will be released eventually. We're going to do basically the same thing that we did with Princess Rescue and release the ROM in due time.

• Like 7

Yes, boxed copies of Zippy are gone. I may have a few additional boxes once the dust settles in January. I do have some that were damaged when I shipped games back to Austin from PRGE. The spine one one side of a few boxes got scuffed a small bit, so I"ll make these available at a discounted price.

..Al