IGNORED

Is Ouya having problems getting AAA games support

Linky only

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/ouya-launch-second-kickstarter-campaign-time-encourage-games-132500550.html#hAlekbR

Question is, why didn't they do this when they did the original kickstarter thing, surely they would have known that people will only buy a games system if it's well supported with good quality games or non games software

Or perhaps the simply assumed that since Android is Linux, people will just jump at the chance of developing games/non games content for a 'viable' games system

I think the people behind Ouya just didn't learn from history, remember 3DO, they had lots of interest from the developers and publishers BEFORE the console launched, but when it got onto the market projects were cancelled or simply the devs/publishers switched tracks to support the likes of Sega/nintendo/Sony etc

The point being that 10000 people downloading some SDK, doesn't equate to 10000 people pledging software support for the system, after all, how many people have say downloaded free versions of Unity3d or blender or Unreal DK and equate that to how many good quality games have actually reached the market or been released that were designed using these game design/dev kits

My guess is, out of the 10000 people that downloaded the SDK, i'd say just over 1 percent are actually doing something or anything with it....if those figures are anything to go by that ain't going to help the console or the company in the long run

All this is assuming they WANT to attract what Sony and M$ consider AAA titles. The current development model for AAA titles is a dead end. There is no way the budget needed to sustain such projects lead to better, more innovative games - just higher prices, more generic themes and stricter DRM.

• Like 7

I don't even understand why it would be an expectation that the Ouya would get "AAA" games as the term is used. The hardware doesn't support that kind of software. If you bought an Ouya for $100 and expected Assassin's Creed IV on it...well I just don't know what to say.

The Ouya has the potential to have some amazingly cool and fun games but it simply wasn't designed for Call of Duty and other big name games. Spinoffs maybe, but certainly not the core franchises.

• Like 4

Yeah, but a triple-A android game and a triple-A console game are pretty far from eachother. I don't expect OUYA to have every major console release (or any of them), but I sure as heck expect it to do a lot better than shabbily hacked together versions of 'push the square.'

Of course this latest kickstarter has exactly nothing to do with big-budget gaming. If we're lucky it might attract enough games to entertain a large enough user base that larger android producers, for example EA or Gameloft, might find reason to bring titles to the console. OUYA's biggest names right now are SEGA, inXile, Square-Enix, and Madfinger games--it could certainly use a few more.

From what I understand, android devs aren't exactly making a ton of money off of their OUYA releases. It may take a while to attract the big names, or motivate the current players to drop more than a game or two into the store.

I have been finding indie games that I've enjoyed on OUYA. Ravensword Shadowlands and Flashout 3d come right to mind as nicely polished indie titles. I'm certainly wading through more crap than I'm used to just to have some fun...

Edited by Reaperman

Does the Ouya have support for Google Play, or do you have to hack the thing first?

Google play doesn't work without some serious work. Many other app stores are trivially easy to load and grab games from.

Very few side-loaded games work without annoyances. I've pretty much decided that it's more trouble than it's worth.

Edited by Reaperman