IGNORED

hard drives for the STE

I should be getting my Atari STE this coming week and I am very excited. This was the machine way back When I cut my teeth into the ST a long time ago. Once I get it I will be expanding it like the TOS switcher, memory and such, but I want to get a real hard drive for it and not the SATAN.

I am thinking in the lines of If i am going to get the full Atari experience then I am going to try and go legit and not use any "modern" hardware.

My question is how hard is it to get the real hard drives for the STE and what other alternatives do i have apart from the SATAN.

Also what do i need to check out on my motherboard as i heard a lot of different things about the STE having dodgy chips.

Make sure the get a hard drive system that comes with a SCSI-ACSI host adapter that has a clock built-in too. It will save you from the trouble of setting up the time every time you turn it on. When you start dealing with lots of files, having them time-stamped really helps!

There are threads about problematic DMA chip in STE, so you will be able to see is your such. If is, then you need to get good one, what may be not so easy.

Then solution could be going on IDE hard disk type. What has some benefits over UltraSatan: cheaper, faster. Additionally, when you get tired of 'real hard disk' noise, you can simply attach Compact Flash card on IDE adapter (need only cheap IDE-CF adapter). Will have no clock, what is not big flaw by me today. Of course, it is possible to add RTC chip in STE, with battery ...

Note: IDE works complete independent from DMA chip.