IGNORED

First 5200 Console - Where to troubleshoot first?

Chuck D. Head

I picked up a 2-port 5200 from a local vintage shop, as-is, for about $10 ($30 for a big bunch of stuff). It fires up just fine with nice picture and sound.

I expected to need to mess with the controller, but unfortunately, it doesn't do anything at all. I cleaned the connector and the pins on the port with alcohol; I figured that, since nothing on the controller worked, maybe the ground pin just wasn't making good connection. A thorough cleaning didn't change anything.

The solder joints on the controller port look good. Is it typical that there are problems with the ports themselves, or should I just concentrate on the controller?

I think you've done all you can with the connectors. First step is to remove the bezel around the Start/Pause/Reset buttons. Just take a soft-ish flat tool and pop it off (a flathead screwdriver can dent the plastic). Then unscrew from the back. Be careful separating the halves, especially when sliding out the part of the flex circuit underneath the SPR buttons. The flex circuit can be stressed near the left lower action button during this process, so take it slowly.

Test the flex circuit with the tip of a screwdriver. If you get the action you were looking for, the buttons are to blame.

• Like 1

I had a similar problem with my 4-port, what I did to get it working was to swap around some chips. I Don't know about the 2-port but on my 5200 there were 4 or 5 small chips spaced out near the controller ports (around 1 for each port I guess, each one are the same), I swapped out the very end one on the right for the first one on the left and that got it working.

If you short two of the pins, you will start a game. I can't remember which pins they are, but I started a thread a couple of years ago, and a kind soul told me. I'll do a search when I can get to a PC. My guess is that your port is fine but that the flex circuit AND buttons are shot.

Thanks everyone for your help, but I think the trouble is on the board somewhere. I tried bridging pins 4 and 7 to start, but nada. Checked continuity through the resistors at the port and everything is good there. There is a diode that seems to have continuity both ways, which doesn't seem right. I will probably look to pick up another console locally.