IGNORED

AtariAge welcomes Philip Price, creator/coder of 'Alternate reality'

There's a fair lot of clueless people who go editing Wikipedia articles and gracing the world with their lack of knowledge.

Nintendo was the only company making consoles before Sony and MS came along.

Apple invented everything to do with modern day computers at and after the point the mouse started being used.

Miley Cyrus wrote "Smells like teen spirit", Nirvana only covered the song.

• Like 3

What have you done to offend someone Philip :)

When are you going to do a Tail of the Beta lyre follow up :)

Lol,

Hopefully I have not offended anyone. I would love to do another side scroller again. I have a passion for games. But I have a hard time doing things part-time, and my day job if I stay with it comes with a pension [which is unheard of today]

Phil

• Like 3

We're holding your wiki bits hostage until you release a new Atari game in the AR line. Don't worry, we're keeping them safe, but if you take too long we'll start chopping off bits and sending them to you in teh mail. Do not try and contact the police.

Haha,

My day job is Vulnerability Research and Cyber Security (and this is the first post I have publically stated it, but hey OPM gave out everyone's personal data to the Chinese by having very poor Information Assurance [if they or companies like Sony had or listen to people like me they might have defended themselves], and my master's in Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, so it is not too hard for some to figure out].

I know he just edited out the entry on me and added html for disambiguation. It would seem to have been friendlier to have then at least recreated the page on me[versus just overwriting it with the disambiguation two weeks ago and by doing so removing me] and added a link to it in the disambiguation.

There's a fair lot of clueless people who go editing Wikipedia articles and gracing the world with their lack of knowledge.

Nintendo was the only company making consoles before Sony and MS came along.

Apple invented everything to do with modern day computers at and after the point the mouse started being used.

Miley Cyrus wrote "Smells like teen spirit", Nirvana only covered the song.

Yes I do think the editor (and anyone can edit a page) did not consider a developer/designer of old things from the atari days something that should be primary, he may be a fan of later generation machines, a fan of one of the other people named philip price, or likes a disambiguation page as the primary page. I just think we lose a bit of history and as you say that leads people to think that the world started later.

Uh oh... I have no idea if there's an official article pruning process at Wikipedia or not.

I just checked to make sure my copy of Alternate Reality was still there, in case this is part of a bigger conspiracy. :)

I am glad Alternate Reality is still there [see whoever added disambiguation page there years ago did not stomp on the Alternate Reality series].

Phil

Edited by Philip Price
  • Like 2

Lol,

Hopefully I have not offended anyone. I would love to do another side scroller again. I have a passion for games. But I have a hard time doing things part-time, and my day job if I stay with it comes with a pension [which is unheard of today]

Phil

Good on you Phil, its great to hear guys that gave so many great entertainment are earning a good crust although when you explained what your job was I instantly thought of Spy vs Spy :)

Enjoy the trilby and trench coat :)

Paul.

Here: is the page. https://web.archive.org/web/20150606053620/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Price

I'm not that good at Wiki edits, but I'm sure many here are. Why don't we just fix it, and keep fixing it when / if it is vandalized again?

Yes indeed, its the very least we can do......Honour our heroes as it were...

• Like 2

MCLaneinc,

I am very glad you enjoyed it. I agree the Atari 8 Bit was a phenomenal machine, I am so glad I got to design games and write code for it.

I like Beta Lyrae too, perhaps someday when I can afford to quit my day job, I can once again write games. There was so much I wanted to do both in the early 80s, and back in '97, my real goal was social dynamics [and I won't go any farther into that subject, but it is much farther than what today I 'think' is what social media has done], I wouldn't even write that down back then (and even now won't explain it in depth), because any idea is easy to copy. I do tend toward the complex when simple things (such as Facebook) obviously provide a very general and profitable solution to their creators.

I always liked layers within layers within layers. So that the mind, the eye, and most importantly the emotions all got attention. (This last sentence doesn't apply nearly as much to the side scrolling game like Beta Lyrae, but more to an alternate reality type game). I like and play both.

Phil

You could look into making a Kickstarter for a re-boot of Beta Lyrae - I would back that game immediately, and I have a social media friend who has a lot of influence in the twittersphere that will help publicise.

I loved AR, and Beta Lyrae, and the music in both was also amazing. The dungeon was a big let down for me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Price_%28programmer%29

Thats back up now - but has some issue because its copied from http://www.thefullwiki.org/Philip_Price- not sure why that is an issue its not like its copyright as far as I can tell. Maybe that bod selling Alternate Reality on Apples is the culprit.

EDIT: OK - appears this article needs a reliable source to verify the material in the article - as it is a biography of a living person.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Verifiability#Sources

Edited by Joe Collins
  • Like 2

Interesting - found this http://atariage.com/forums/topic/215101-alternate-reality-3d-remake-parallel-realm/on this forum - which links to http://parallelrealm.byethost4.com/?ckattempt=1

Also http://www.crpgdev.com/- lots of people are remaking Alternate Reality. Almost certainly won't have the depth of the original but one can hope.

Edited by Joe Collins
  • Like 1

Read a snippet here:

http://www.cyberpunkforums.com/viewtopic.php?id=2024

or the full article here:

http://www.marktaw.com/reviews/AlternateRealityTheVideoG.html

The full article can also be found in the Abbuc paper-magazine (translated to german language, after the author gave his okay).

Besides Heaven, you already asked the same question in this topic with post #6 and Philip answered it in post #9. (Even the first link I gave above quotes post #9 from this topic here)...

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Price_%28programmer%29

Thats back up now - but has some issue because its copied from http://www.thefullwiki.org/Philip_Price- not sure why that is an issue its not like its copyright as far as I can tell. Maybe that bod selling Alternate Reality on Apples is the culprit.

EDIT: OK - appears this article needs a reliable source to verify the material in the article - as it is a biography of a living person.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Verifiability#Sources

Sigh, the article is already flagged for deletion. First statement on the talk page

Delete The game he is "known for" is barely notable in itself. OhNoitsJamie Talk 23:24, 2 February 2016 (UTC)

I guess this sums up very nicely everything that is wrong with Wikipedia at the moment.

• Like 1

Some of the material might need updating and referencing, like the Iraq thing - the dates are misleading I believe.

Well I was at Camp Liberty(North Victory) in May and June 2005. The army and the ex special forces people I dealt with were great.I had voluntarily gone out to Iraq with the thought that if I went out there and it saved one soldier's life it was worth the risk (and I did not have a wife or kids).

Well one time I had been working away alone in a small spot on a hill and was real tired. I remembered what my niece had said to me earlier that year... Uncle Phil if you are ever really tired, Red Bull works great (she had just finished undergrad...I get a feeling she might have drank a few before some finals). I thought Red Bull sure would be nice right now, thinking of my nieces suggestion. Then a sizzling sound went over my head and I heard a whoooomp (not a thump, thumps from my experience were ones that landed a bit farther away or were outbound). Then a shock wave hit me. A mortar round had landed a short distance away [but I was out of shrapnel or eardrum bleeding range :) ] . I was wide awake, calm and not tired for hours. I thought, well that is better than Red Bull.

I went out of my spot to see if anyone needed help, the injured were already being serviced. Another round went over my head, someone later said to me that one landed near block 11, near were my hooch was. I have a dark sense of humor under situations like that, I turned to them and said:"See nothing to worry about, they missed me here, and they missed me there, they can't shoot straight" (Full well knowing I was not the target and they had probably had used GPS to hit at least one of the spots they were attending).

Phil

Edited by Philip Price
  • Like 2

What if Philip would edit the page himself? How could anyone question that?

I can verify (anything that is correct) if that is what people need. But if I edit the page that itself may make them think the page on me, ar, tail of beta lyrae are pages of only self interest.

I think people will have to chime in at wikipedia comment site on whether philip price the programmer should be deleted https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Philip_Price_(programmer)

I do think that the people of the later gaming areas as others said here are ignorant of much that happened early on.

One person comment at the delete yay or nay site said I was just a programmer working on a game that might be notable. I think they may think it was like many games later with big budgets. They may not realize I was the game designer and not just one programmer who worked on a mega million game budget game like they are today. Hey at one point I was living in a shack.lol. The industry was nascent and very different back then. They may just be ignorant. But deletion of the page just causes loss of history.

Another said "Let's let the secondary sources decide how independently notable Price is from the game itself. ". The fallacy in that logic is like saying lets take what the person is notable for and see how independently notable they are without it. That would of course eliminate everyone that is notable.

But the game design, the crypto, the anti tamper techniques, the novel musical language allowing composer to define probable musical paths, the 3d texture mapping techniques, moral choice and non-forced story was all me. Divorcing AR (Especially the City) from me destroy the human history of the innovations. Pointing any link to me to just the page on ar the city does not let people know the works related to the one game designer, nor the human element involved. Beta Lyrae had a game whose game elements changed after you owned and played it for a while, something back then was a first in a game too. I think that diminishes Wikipedia. It definitely would diminish the history of gaming, and particularly the Atari 8 bit history.But that is my own biased opinion.

The remark one person mentioned a link to what sources are acceptable as a source of information, "credible video game sources", that listhas very few pre-1985 'credible' sources. No antic or A.N.A.L.O.G., nothing atari related, guess it doesn't exist, but they do have a sinclar magazine. But as the earlier part of the page it says that common sense should be used. There have been a few interviews of me. Haug's book on the interview of 30 programmers who helped start the video industry with a forward by John Romaro is one of them. I think every one of those thirty should at least have a wiki page about them so that video game history (History is both the games and the principal people behind them) does not disappear.

Magazine sources can also be wrong, There was an article in one magazine where they described that I learned programming while at sea in the navy. The journalist who interviewed me had it wrong, the navy kept me away from the sea, and had said they would never let me work on computers, that is why I became a nuclear reactor operator. I had told the journalist when he interviewed me back then, after the article came out, I called him up thinking he made an unintentional mistake,. But his reply was,"But doesn't it sound good that way?". I then realized that what you read about people in a magazine is not always true.

But Wikipedia is whatever the people who decide to take time to delete or protect make of it. No matter what changes there, really the greatest value thing would not be impacted by whether that page is there or deleted. The greatest value thing, as I have said before, of the work I did back at the beginning of the gaming industry is the joy it had brought to the people who experienced it [especially back then].

Phil

Edited by Philip Price
  • Like 3

Read a snippet here:

http://www.cyberpunkforums.com/viewtopic.php?id=2024

or the full article here:

http://www.marktaw.com/reviews/AlternateRealityTheVideoG.html

The full article can also be found in the Abbuc paper-magazine (translated to german language, after the author gave his okay).

Besides Heaven, you already asked the same question in this topic with post #6 and Philip answered it in post #9. (Even the first link I gave above quotes post #9 from this topic here)...

Oops.... Me getting old :) sorry.

Sigh, the article is already flagged for deletion. First statement on the talk page

I guess this sums up very nicely everything that is wrong with Wikipedia at the moment.

The original delete requester put as the search link one that requires my name and the word "programmer" and not wikipedia to show that there are no entries in internet. Now I honestly would say associating the word "programmer" would exclude many hits that are associated with me, giving a slightly wrong impression. Even when I do a personal egotistical self search I never use that word. But I would agree the atari 8 bit world of people would not be a big giant hit even with a better selection of search words looking for someone well known in it.

I wonder how many of those who want deletion were in the industry at the time. I know fifteen years later I was surprised to be one of the forty guests at the party celebrating 20th apple ii game programmers reunion, Steve Wozniak was one of the other guests. Being more focused on the Atari 8 bits than the Apple II, it was still an honor to attend and be one of the forty invited guests. I guess at that point I was still known :) .

http://www.dadgum.com/giantlist/archive/reunion.html

Edited by Philip Price
  • Like 2

The original delete requester put as the search link one that requires my name and the word "programmer" and not wikipedia to show that there are no entries in internet. Now I honestly would say associating the word "programmer" would exclude many hits that are associated with me, giving a slightly wrong impression. Even when I do a personal egotistical self search I never use that word. But I would agree the atari 8 bit world of people would not be a big giant hit even with a better selection of search words looking for someone well known in it.

I wonder how many of those who want deletion were in the industry at the time. I know fifteen years later I was surprised to be one of the forty guests at the party celebrating 20th apple ii game programmers reunion, Steve Wozniak was one of the other guests. Being more focused on the Atari 8 bits than the Apple II, it was still an honor to attend and be one of the forty invited guests. I guess at that point I was still known :) .

http://www.dadgum.com/giantlist/archive/reunion.html

I wrote an article on aesthetics of genius in early video game development for a small german Retro themed magazine a few years ago. I took your work an Alternate Reality as an example for US development (in contrast to british game development). I managed to compile a great number of articles on you, Gary Gilbertson, Alternate Reality and the AMP. I also found some postings from you from the early WWW days, where you wrote about the design process behind AR and your reasons to leave the industry. I never had difficulties finding all these sources and wherever I looked people always associated your name with AR and praised it as one of the most ambitious gaming projects of the 1980s.

Unfortunately it's the Wikipedia we are talking here, when the editors on this site made a decision, I learned that it is completely useless to argue any more.

• 10 months later...