IGNORED

AtariAge welcomes Philip Price, creator/coder of 'Alternate reality'

You can't edit old posts on this site?

So, turns out the company is not CFO Plus, but rather Code 10 Digital... which seems associated with Retro Games Ltd... who in turn made the C64 mini console and will release A500 mini console soon.

Does anyone on this site happen to know how to track down someone who previously worked on the stealth bomber and currently works in cyber security? (Yes, I'm serious, btw.)

On 8/14/2021 at 3:47 PM, eobet said:

You can't edit old posts on this site?

So, turns out the company is not CFO Plus, but rather Code 10 Digital... which seems associated with Retro Games Ltd... who in turn made the C64 mini console and will release A500 mini console soon.

Does anyone on this site happen to know how to track down someone who previously worked on the stealth bomber and currently works in cyber security? (Yes, I'm serious, btw.)

You mean without a name? good luck.

If you have a name, then use the usual methods. 

Well, what's the issue then? Start with googling for contractor companies on the B2 program in the right time frame, google his name and some of the companies, contact the HR departments of the companies, etc. There's no other way that I know of, unless you want to pay a PI.

*edit*

For instance, googling '"phillip price" cybersecurity' produces some interesting hits.

Edited by danwinslow

• 1 year later...

I have some downtime so I'll just pop in with an update on this thread...

About a year ago (time flies) I'm 99% sure I managed to re-establish contact with Philip Price. However, it does seem that he has put AR firmly in the rear view mirror and isn't looking back (I don't blame him). Unfortunately he informed me that Gary Gilbertson passed away in December of 2021. Supposedly, Gary had all the paperwork which established that him and Philip Price had all the rights to the series, and that seems now permanently lost and the UK entity which claims to have acquired those rights (though have declined to show any paper trail leading back to the 80s) can now probably do as they wish uncontested.

I had corresponded a bit with Gary Gilbertson before his passing, and I know there's quite a bit of music by him uploaded as unlisted Youtube videos. Now, he was ill at the end so some of it is quite raw and quite personal. Should it be archived? I really don't know. Perhaps it only matters to us fans and nobody will care in another few decades...

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

• 2 months later...

@eobet, even though it's sad news, thank you for the update. It's sad to hear that Gary Gilbertson passed away, but his music will live on and continue to be appreciated and enjoyed by thousands of people, potentially forever. I'm sure his music featured in Alternate Reality alone has captivated and entertained hundreds of thousands of people around the world and will continue to do so. His music was a big part of what immersed me within an Alternate Reality dream world as a kid and I still appreciate and enjoy it today as an adult, so do my kids now.

It's also sad to hear that Philip Price may have put AR firmly in his rear view mirror, I suppose that means no more responses here? I should've spoken up years ago when I was thinking about creating a running list of Atariage questions for a Philip Price interview as a reply here. I was hoping that maybe if I got it started and kept an updated list of all the questions asked here for an interview in one place, Philip Price might agree to do a final professional interview for Antic's @Savetz, @rkindig, @playermissile, @Ripdubski or any other professional Atari oriented interviewer here that was interested. Given a month or two, I'm sure Atariage members could come up with an excellent list of interesting questions that haven't been asked before to choose from and prepare for the interview. There's actually probably a bunch of questions that have already been asked that would be worthwhile going over again in a professional interview too. I would love to hear the complete story of everything from Philip Price, including his career after coding games in a nice modern long format interview too, that would be awesome.

Did you ever archive Gary's music somewhere?

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Rybags said:

I had a cracked version of The City practically weeks after the game came out.

I'm fairly sure the one on Atarimania is fine.

Though a problem with the game is that even with multiple images mounted on multiple virtual drives, you'll probably still need to do disk swaps.

Ok ill give it a try.

2 hours ago, kheller2 said:

On a multi drive system, boot with D1S1 in drive 1 and D2S1 in drive 2.  When it asks for D2S2 put that in drive 1. 

Yeah understood. It may have been an SD card with errors. I had my pc fix errors and now original copy will actually load.

Let's see how it goes.

I'm struggling a bit with this, I'm using the .atx files from the link above, and a character disk I found somewhere else.

When I have created a character I am asked to insert disk 1 side 2 which is already loaded in to D2: in Altirra but doesn't seem to work.

When trying to insert disk 1 side 2 in to D1: I am told that the modified image in D1: has not been saved and will be discarded. If I accept this I get the same message when I'm asked to enter the next disk, ok'ing this lets me continue.

When I try to quit and save I enter the character disk and AR tells me I have the wrong character disk.

I'm obviously doesn't something wrong here as lots of other people play this successfully.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Simon