IGNORED

General nanoPEB Questions

boxpressed

Given that questions about the nanoPEB are spread across a number of threads, I figured that a thread for general questions would be in order. The official user's manual doesn't answer some of these questions. I have a couple questions and will ask each in a separate post. Thanks to all for any help.

By the way, I have one of the V2 nanoPEBs with the RS-232 port designated as COM1. In another thread, I noted that I have no plans to use the RS-232 port, as all I want to do now is play games in .dsk format.

1. If I only want to play .dsk games with my nanoPEB, what cartridges will I need besides XB and E/A? Do I need Mini Memory for anything? Should I use Disk Manager 2 for deleting files from the CF card?

2. I want to play ToD with my nanoPEB. Is it as simple as loading a TOD .dsk file to Volume 1 using dsk2cf.exe and then typing in the name of the file when asked? I ran into an error when I tried this, but I don't know if I used the proper .dsk file, or if I messed up something else.

1. If I only want to play .dsk games with my nanoPEB, what cartridges will I need besides XB and E/A? Do I need Mini Memory for anything? Should I use Disk Manager 2 for deleting files from the CF card?

To answer your first question, you pretty much already have it figured out... an XB and E/A pretty much does the trick. I use a SuperCart which is basically a E/A with an 8K RAM chip to hold 4A DOS as it gives me some extra flexibility.

As for deleting files you really do not need a DM II, unless you want to switch cartridges all the time. ;) You can use all kinds of different programs like the CFMGR program that comes with the NanoPEB or DSKU or DM2K or even the BOOT program will let you delete files.

It's my understanding that Fred *MAY* be updating the CF2K program in the future. CF2K has some other good features just for the Nano, like VOLume selection without the need to drop to TI BASIC.

One of the easiest configurations would be to use BOOT with all your programs, making them accessible with one button press. Now with BOOT every once in a while a program that will not run with it, but there are ways around that.

Thanks! Sorry for such a noob question, but how do I get CFMGR up and running? Do I need the E/A cart?

That program came on the CF card that is in your new NanoPEB.

Insert XB in the cartridge slot, turn on the NanoPEB, turn on the console, press 2 twice and it should autoboot (unless you modified the original data in volume 1).

If you use the E/A just type DSK1.CFMGR (under option 5)

Edited by Kevan

I personally have never used DSK2CF, I've been using Ti99Dir to do all of my transferring of stuff. I suppose later this evening (after dinner and the news) I could put a backup volume online for you to download if you like. Let me know.

It's always a good idea to keep multiple backups in different places., One or two backups on your PC's HD, another on disk, yet another on a USB stick and even few on the CF card itself. There are so many volumes on that thing you could stuff a copy of the original image in volume 2500 easy enough (if one is not already there).

Thanks again! I think I overwrote it with a dsk image when experimenting. I hope there is a dsk image of it that I can put on Volume 1 with dsk2cf?

I seem to remember that Jaime puts a backup of VOL1 on the CF as the last (highest-numbered) volume on the CF shipped with the nanoPEB.

...lee

I seem to remember that Jaime puts a backup of VOL1 on the CF as the last (highest-numbered) volume on the CF shipped with the nanoPEB.

Yeah, that's why in message seven of this thread I wrote, "...could stuff a copy of the original image in volume 2500 easy enough (if one is not already there). I figured, what the heck, I got the time, so just to make sure, I sent it anyway.

It kinda sucks not having a program you really need, and we're all in this together right?

• Like 1

2. I want to play ToD with my nanoPEB. Is it as simple as loading a TOD .dsk file to Volume 1 using dsk2cf.exe and then typing in the name of the file when asked? I ran into an error when I tried this, but I don't know if I used the proper .dsk file, or if I messed up something else.

Others helped me answer this question on another thread. The filename is QUEST or PENNIES. I was using the name of the dsk image rather than the actual filename.

Not on mine, but I've done that, except on my smaller CFs.

I just checked my 2GB CF that came with my nanoPEB and it does, indeed, have VOL1 also at volume #2501 (the highest possible # on mine). I'm pretty sure I did not put it there; but, who knows—I am getting old and possibly more forgetful! :P

...lee

• 3 weeks later...

Jamie has patched the software version of HDX1 to work on the new nanopeb2

malilonj via yahoogroups.com

Aug 9 (4 days ago)

I have posted this application at http://webpages.charter.net/nanopeb/.

Documentation is under the works. Also, I'm looking at TELCO for conversion.

Also cf2k is now supporting it as well:

Hi all,

An updated version of Cf2k v2.2 is available here:

http://home.vodafonethuis.nl/fgkaal/

Cf2k searches the DSR for a printer port.

If it find "PIO." it is a Cf7+

If it find "SIO." it is a nanoPEB

If it find "COM1." it is a nanaoPEB2

Could not test it myself (yet), but if a nanoPEB 2

owner will do this and post the results I would

appreciate it.

enjoy,

Fred ;-)

• Like 1

Thanks, Fred!

Has anyone ever had problems with TI99Dir not writing a DSK file to the CF? I queued up all of the Infocom disks and it looked like it worked, but then none of the volumes targeted are formatted. Same with a couple of DSKs like "Haunted House."

• 2 months later...

I still need to get my hands on a nanoPEB. I currently have no way to store anything, and I refuse to use a tape reporder.

Yeah, tape recorder is a pretty difficult and time-taking way of saving - but it is fun to hear it load - talk about meaningful noise :).

I'd like to get the nanoPEB myself over the CF7+; but unfortunately that's going to be a while yet :(.

So do I want this, or hold out for the V2 to show up again? :P

I might wait for the V2's considering I have not done a damn thing with my TI yet except install a F18A.

I am not a gamer, I mostly plan on messing wound with communication and control.

Edited by slinkeey

Might be worth waiting for a UART that s not obsolete. hmmmmm

From what I gathered from discussion at the Faire, a non-obsolete UART is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, yes it is faster and, as you said, non-obsolete; on the other hand, most programs banged on the hardware directly because the DSRs were too slow, meaning they will not be compatible with the new unit.

I learned from PC and Amiga that hardware-banging is not a good idea when you have a service layer to abstract the hardware, but what do you do on a machine when that service layer is not as functional as you need and the hardware is really just right there, aching for your loving caress? Besides, in a non-multitasking environment, would it REALLY hurt to take over the hardware? ;)