IGNORED

Triple Action Cart Question

yarjr

I know next to nothing about Intellivision so don't laugh if its obvious but why does my copy of triple action say "© Mattel Inc. 1979 USA" when Triple action was released in 1981? The board inside says 1980. Is this a case of an old cartridge shell/Board being used or something weirder?

Edited by yarjr

This isn't all that strange. Not positive of details, but for example development could have started in 1979, the circuit board design updated in 1980 - I suspect the same board could be used for many different ROMs. The game then was actually delivered to market in 1981.

• Like 1

Kewl. I didn't think it as a proto or anything just wondered cause Im more into Atari and Sega systems. I really know nothing about intellivisions,never even seen one, which might be why I have this and burgertime for sale. I kinda wish ebayers didn't bundle random coleco/intelllivision games in Atari 2600 lots.

Thanks man!

Think of it as planting flower seeds in a garden full of weeds :-D

hehe, cute. It is frustrating to get stuff you're not interested in because... what do you do with it? If you're disciplined enough you can sell it off, but for the lazy collector like yours truly, it ends up as one of two things... space-wasting undesirable junk, or a gateway to an expansion, which is even more wasted space.

Think of it as planting flower seeds in a garden full of weeds :-D

hehe, cute. It is frustrating to get stuff you're not interested in because... what do you do with it? If you're disciplined enough you can sell it off, but for the lazy collector like yours truly, it ends up as one of two things... space-wasting undesirable junk, or a gateway to an expansion, which is even more wasted space.

• 9 years later...
On 7/25/2013 at 10:00 PM, yarjr said:

I know next to nothing about Intellivision so don't laugh if its obvious but why does my copy of triple action say "© Mattel Inc. 1979 USA" when Triple action was released in 1981?

Under the laws of the time, anything written work published or audiovisual work performed without a copyright notice lost its copyright protection, and the notice had to give the date of first publication or performance. Copyright laws with respect to software generally and video games specifically was quite unsettled. Was a video game shown to buyers, either in private demonstrations or at a trade show, "performed"? To make it unnecessary for the lawyers to litigate that question copyright notices were affixed at first opportunity, before anything left the lab. Copyrights were for a fixed term of 28 years, extendable to 56, but losing a year or two of protection off the end was less damaging than losing protection completely.

• Like 2