IGNORED

Gamecube Hidden Gems

The Nintendo Gamecube may have struggled against the Playstation 2 and original Xbox for gamer's hearts & wallets, but this little console eventually produced a bunch of classic titles, as well as some great Hidden Gems. Here is Part 1 for Gamecube collectors looking to find more Hidden Gems for their library!

What games would you like to see in Parts 2 and 3?

• Like 5

I'd say GameCube is the one major system where a lot of the first party efforts are "hidden gems". The GameCube era was a time where Nintendo experimented with their franchises, tried new things, and indeed even let other developers take the reigns behind some of their IPs. A few examples (Metroid Prime, Zelda Wind Waker) are now universally acclaimed and listed in Top X Games of all Time charts, but many more (Star Fox Adventures, Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine, Kirby Air Ride, Donkey Konga/Jungle Beat, Zelda Four Swords Adventures) are not unknown, but definitely under-appreciated, and worth a second look.

The GameCube era was a time where Nintendo experimented with their franchises, tried new things, and indeed even let other developers take the reigns behind some of their IPs.

You are absolutely right about this! And it's something they should consider doing for the WiiU. Take some chances and see if they can again reinvent their classic franchises for another generation or two.

Some of these "gems" got bad reviews from Video Game Critic...

So? It is all opinion, I like Video game critic but often I like some games more than him, less than him or I agree 100%. A game I love you might hate, something you hate the OP might love, what is your point? Should the OP of verified his opinion with Video Game Critic's rating before giving HIS opinion? Who cares. :roll:

• Like 2

I wouldn't call it a 'hidden gem' but SNK vs Capcom 2 EO is a great fighting game for people who usually suck at fighting games (like me!). The EO means Easy Operation so all the special moves are controlled by pressing the C stick in a certain direction. No more 20+ button inputs to remember, and it's not as awkward as you'd think. It was also released on the Xbox, but I think the GC version plays better.

• Like 2

I wouldn't call it a 'hidden gem' but SNK vs Capcom 2 EO is a great fighting game for people who usually suck at fighting games (like me!).

You can easily call SNK vs Capcom 2 EO a hidden gem, because when you look at sales charts for the Gamecube, that game is way down at #331. For instance, Bloodrayne, X2 Wolverine's Revenge & Killer 7 sold more copies!

Got Lost Kingdoms 2 @ Goodwill for $2 awhile back, complete. I only got it for the memcard so I could make/travel to a 2nd town in Animal Crossing. Im not an RPG fan but what little I tried out the actual game seemed ok, I just dont have time to get into it.

Some of these "gems" got bad reviews from Video Game Critic...

VGC also gave Warbirds for the Lynx a D and Todd's Adventures in Slime World for Lynx an F-, so I've learned to take his reviews for what they are: opinions.

I had originally thought that Sonic Gems was the only way to get Sonic The Fighters, but yes, the XBLA version is all high deffed up and sweet.

Well, sweet, for one of the simplest and silliest fighting games out there. :) Model 2 goodness. I believe it's only $5 too. I bought it straight up and love it.

I had originally thought that Sonic Gems was the only way to get Sonic The Fighters, but yes, the XBLA version is all high deffed up and sweet.

Well, sweet, for one of the simplest and silliest fighting games out there. :) Model 2 goodness. I believe it's only $5 too. I bought it straight up and love it.

Yes, I got it too for my PS3 and I also got the Fighting Vipers, I love that game too, and is only $5.