IGNORED

5200 Pricing

SabertoothRetro

I've never had a 5200 but in the interest of having an example of each Atari home console I am considering it. I almost pulled the trigger on a listing today but the seller never responded to my questions regarding testing. The auction ended with no bids w/ a start of $100. It seemed like one of the nicer two port units and included a handful of boxed commons.

EBay and Craigslist all over the place so it's hard for me to gauge pricing. What's a fair price for a CIB unit in good working/cosmetic condition? One with at least a single working controller?

Thanks! I wish I could score something below $50. I havent seen anything in the $20 range that looks clean. I have bad luck at yard sales and eBay is way higher for most working units. People on CL in this area are even worse with pricing. Things like: "$300 bucks with PAC-Man!"

The unit that I mentioned was a CIB unit, very clean with two controllers and 6 boxed commons. The seller wrote back after the bid ended and said the unit turns on but is not fully tested. He hadn't tried the controllers so this is probably a resale. They have red balls on the stock 5200 controllers so they could be modded (?).He's relisted at $75 but not BIN. I would like to stay below that for a clean unit with a guaranteed working controller. Wish me luck!

The seller wrote back after the bid ended and said the unit turns on but is not fully tested.

Untested usually means unworking. PARTICULARLY if the entire setup is there and the seller is too fucking lazy to test it. Be patient. If you're looking on Ebay Sunday is still the best day for buyers. So many items ending many go under the radar and you can get a working system dirt cheap.

$15-20 is a little silly, but several auctions in the past few weeks ended under $50 in box with games. Tested working.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FAtari-5200-System-and-games-%2F281137369895%3Fpt%3DVideo_Games%26hash%3Ditem417517d327%26nma%3Dtrue%26si%3DtiCj%25252FXg6fc3znLafa8Kl1wrYTyE%25253D%26orig_cvip%3Dtrue%26rt%3Dnc%26_trksid%3Dp2047675.l2557

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FATARI-5200-CONSOLE-GENTLY-USED-W-ORIGINAL-BOX-6-GAMES-%2F151085055069%3Fpt%3DVideo_Games%26hash%3Ditem232d5efc5d%26nma%3Dtrue%26si%3DtiCj%25252FXg6fc3znLafa8Kl1wrYTyE%25253D%26orig_cvip%3Dtrue%26rt%3Dnc%26_trksid%3Dp2047675.l2557

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2Fatari-5200-System-In-Original-Box-With-Games-Cib-%2F231014731907%3Fpt%3DVideo_Games%26hash%3Ditem35c98d1083%26nma%3Dtrue%26si%3DtiCj%25252FXg6fc3znLafa8Kl1wrYTyE%25253D%26orig_cvip%3Dtrue%26rt%3Dnc%26_trksid%3Dp2047675.l2557 (ok this one was $51 bucks...)

Of course then there's shipping, and the 5200 is big and heavy so tack on $30 bucks or so to the price.

If you're looking on the higher side, $75 or so, you should get a working system with many games, and working controllers. Patience pays.

• Like 1

If the auction does not specify working controllers ... they dont work ! :grin: But those were good prices on those auctions

True, the odds of getting a 5200 set with working controllers is slim to none. But on the bright side all you need is some tin foil and a tiny amount of know-how and you can have them working just fine.

I just picked up a 4-controller 5200 with three joysticks, a dual-joystick holder, and three games--simple common stuff, Pac-Man etc.--for about $40 shipped on eBay. The seller said (and the pictures show) that the unit powers up and games load, but that he could not start them. I took a gamble that it was just the buttons on the sticks that were broken and hope to make some repairs with a little help from Best. I have no practical experience with the 5200, so I'm wondering how I did. Any thoughts?

I personally don't like to deal with sellers who don't have the courtesy to respond to questions. And my limit would be $60 for a 5200 in nice shape with 2 controllers... and at least one game. I would hold out until you find one in nice cosmetic shape since they are getting harder to find... Unless you don't care about what it looks like.

I just picked up a 4-controller 5200 with three joysticks, a dual-joystick holder, and three games--simple common stuff, Pac-Man etc.--for about $40 shipped on eBay. The seller said (and the pictures show) that the unit powers up and games load, but that he could not start them. I took a gamble that it was just the buttons on the sticks that were broken and hope to make some repairs with a little help from Best. I have no practical experience with the 5200, so I'm wondering how I did. Any thoughts?

Not bad, especially if you can get the controllers to work. The start-pause-reset buttons can be accessed without taking the entire controller apart.

A video by Dylan King describes how to clean the contacts using a pencil eraser. I recommend being a little more careful and going slower than Dylan, as the parts are all delicate and easily damaged, but his info and technique is good. Success depends upon how worn out the contact surfaces are on the rubber buttons. I have personally used a Q-tip and alcohol on the rubber switches as well.

Not bad, especially if you can get the controllers to work. The start-pause-reset buttons can be accessed without taking the entire controller apart.

A video by Dylan King describes how to clean the contacts using a pencil eraser. I recommend being a little more careful and going slower than Dylan, as the parts are all delicate and easily damaged, but his info and technique is good. Success depends upon how worn out the contact surfaces are on the rubber buttons. I have personally used a Q-tip and alcohol on the rubber switches as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UADuUdgrbug

I have also done this to more than 1 controller and after a short time they wont work again im my experience . I do the dot trick to mine and have 1 gold kit for another .

I think the unfortunate reality is that every so often, the CX-52 needs to be taken apart and cleaned so they can work properly. That's just the way it is with these things.

The analog sliders need to be lubed up too once in a while.

boxpressed has a great informative guide. That aside, yard sales are usually a waste of time for certain systems as most people have off loaded or even thrown out older systems like that years ago. On Ebay, if you have patience and keep up on your watch list, you will find a good deal for one as jetset was kind enough to provide evidence of. A tested unit with no or broken controllers for a great price is almost ideal in my opinion because you will probably want or need a refurbished controller eventually.

• Like 2

You've already received great advice, but this article from my blog may answer other questions you have:

http://retroauction.com/buying-and-selling-an-atari-5200/

I'd say that any CIB 5200 with two working controllers, good condition box, and foam/cardboard inserts for $100 is a good deal.

That's a fantastic buyer's guide! Thanks for putting together such thorough and helpful information.

Edited by atariLBC
  • Like 1

Don't Forget to look at Amazon frequently. I just got a 4 port system, with 2 aftermarket controllers, cords, and 2 joysticks (prob just use for Space Dungeon). I'm assured it all works. I paid $30.30, plus like 8 bucks for shipping. Seller was quick to respond. You have to find a person who wants to get it out of the house, but has a reasonable mind for price. Low prices move. So, check daily.

This is also Yard Sale season. I always find tons of good stuff. Good way to spend a morning. People just want to get rid of "crap", so it never hurts to haggle.

Good luck.