IGNORED

Atari competition jacket 1983 brand New value?

thechallengeofnexar

I have a brand new Silver jacket which were worn by high score finalists in the 80s.

it came from a London office clearout of Porter + Pocock Associates ltd 3 years ago, They where the promotion and marketing company whom made these jackets in ltd numbers. They had only 2 of these, to my knowledge i've not seen any others for auction or sold in the UK or worldwide.

Does anyone have an idea of value or would someone be willing to trade for a very rare game; a few i'm after

Espial CIB (NTSC or PAL)

Playaround titles CIB

Cosmic Commuter NIB

any lab loaners ; )

anything R7 CIB + in good condition.

The size is XS adult so would fit a 36" chest so small/skinny adult. (Its marked as a 38" chest but its more an XS 36 in my opinion) I wore it once for my profile pic but its brand NEW! even has a card in the pocket with care instructions from Porter + Pocock Associates.

As you can see the 1983 Centipede champ is wearing the jacket with his video game Olympic style medal.

Very cool to wear at a convention or for your collection, there can't be too many of these about. I would not part with the jacket for less than £100 as i've seen only 1 other in 8 years on eBay and i'm obviously not going to find another new one or perhaps even used. Most Atari games can be found again so i think i'm parting with a unique rare item.

I've seen the Silver Swingstar windbreakers/bombers fetch $100 http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fitm%2FNOS-Vintage-Swingster-Atari-Silver-Jacket-Youth-XL-Windbreaker-%2F390601687119%3Fpt%3DLH_DefaultDomain_0%26hash%3Ditem5af1acc04f

I believe there are a few of those on eBay but not the one I have which is cooler I think, and far more rare.

post-29974-0-98783900-1374941771_thumb.jpg

An unusual item like this is going to be worth wildly different amounts to different people. (I experienced this recently with a very unusual t-shirt I offered for trade.)

In my case, if I were to acquire it, I would want to wear it, but I am not an XS. If I were, I would offer you a trade along the lines of what you are looking for.

cool thanks, Yes i wanted to wear it as I trade in Atari and was going to do a trade stall for a large UK gaming event called Revival and wear it, I had to cancel in the end. Also I seem to put on two stone in the last year so its just hanging in my wardrobe and i'm not going to slim down into this unless I went on an LA diet.

I'd rather it went to a collector that can spare a rare game than try and be greedy on eBay. I'm not going to ask crazy money but i can't seem to find another example NEW, and it has provenance so is the real deal.

Thanks for the info...

Edited by thechallengeofnexar

Its not on Atarimania's list of merch/clothing so (if you want decent pic guys let me know). I suppose these were only made in the UK for the 1983 worldwide finals (80,000 contestants overall; 21 world champions thought for the Centipede title in 1983, its possible only medal winners were given these jackets? So how many games, how many medal owners? I imagine the winners would have kept these. The PR company found two of these a few years ago (old stock) whilst moving offices in London.

The competitors actually wore red jumpers with a patch of the world/logo on it. You don't wear a jacket indoors! so I suppose only the 1983 word hi score champs (medal winners) were given these jackets.

Not staff jackets, possible an exclusive hi-score champ jacket and brand new.

The 1983 Hi-score was winner was Andrew Brzezinski (from the U.K) with a score of 323,512 on Centipede as shown in VCS owners club Bulletin Winter 1983 (included with jacket)

I might try and contact Andrew Brzezinski as that's not a common British surname so obviously he has polish heritage. I can ask if only medal winners were given the jackets which would be nice. I'll do some more digging.

woo! I found Andrew Brzezinski on the Electoral role and he still lives in Middlesex, UK where the 1983 VSC owners club mag states the U.K ex Centipede word champ is from. I might be able to write to him and find out were only medal winners given the jackets!? or perhaps only gold medal winners would be nice. :-o

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 2 years later...

This is an old conversation but could someone tell me what this is worth please? I have had it in my draw for about 30 years. I should sell it and let someone enjoy it. I think the Atari badge at the front is missing, the lining needs sewing, and some marks on it but I haven’t washed to see if they come off? its says M so i think its medium.Let me know what you think? I am in the UK.

20210331_171211.jpg

20210331_171222.jpg

20210331_171227.jpg

20210331_171254.jpg

20210331_171302.jpg

20210331_171311.jpg

20210331_171427.jpg

20210331_171433.jpg

20210331_171439.jpg

20210331_171448.jpg