IGNORED

bB with native 64k cart support - 1.1d.reveng

RevEng

I'm not sure why the harmony direct load isn't working RT... maybe there's a bug in the loader. Even if it failed, I'd expect garbage rather than the last thing you loaded.

There seems to be a problem with the latest version of the Harmony Programming Tool when it comes to downloading DPC+ programs. stephena is going to track down the problem.

There seems to be a problem with the latest version of the Harmony Programming Tool when it comes to downloading DPC+ programs. stephena is going to track down the problem.

If there is a problem with the programming tool, I can't find it. When it comes down to it, the programming tool is a very simple app. It simply appends the required ARM data to the binary (so the cart knows how to process the ROM), and then downloads it.

In the case of DPC+, FA2, etc (ie, ROMs that already have the ARM code in the binary), it simply downloads the ROM as-is. So I can't see why it wouldn't work. The download is completing (correctly, or so it would seem), and not giving any error messages.

I know that 32KB F4 ROMs are working, so it's not an issue of 32KB files not working, just the DPC+ and FA2 variety.

Confirmed that there's a problem saving 32KB DPC+ and FA2 ROMs in single-ROM mode using Harmony Programming Tool. The commandline tools for saving those ROMs do work, so I know the ROMs are fine; it seems to be the programmer itself. I'll look into it over the next week, but progress will be slow, since my system is at home.

EDIT: I found the issue; I was forgetting to actually fill a buffer with ROM data when using DPC+ or Custom mode :dunce: There are a few other things I'd like to add, and then I'll do a new release by the end of next week.

• Like 4

Thanks stephena!

In other news, I cobbled together a working setup and discovered I just made the silly mistake of not putting the DF#FRACINC variables in the main loop. With that fixed up it runs just the same in Harmony as it does in Stella.

dpcpfread.bas.bin

I've attached version 9 of the dist (with DPC+ pfread compatibility and a reinstated "tiny" score font for iesposta) to the first post.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like player1color: isn't allowed in if statements, which is causing the problem. If you move those into their own lines and conditionally skip them with if...then...goto it compiles fine.

This appears to be a limitation bug in all bB versions.

I dug deeper, and found out there was a missing check for player1color: in the routine responsible for determining if the next word following if...then is a statement or a label. I've added this check in, and plim45.bas now compiles correctly without changes.

Version 11 with this fix is now in the first post.

• Like 1

I think I found another bug. it has to do with the player0score and player1score kernel by Curtis. Whenever it gets to adding or subtracting a playerscore, instead it just goes to the beginning. So you don't have to dig around for it, I've added the kernel files in a zip file.

playerscores.zip

plim46.bas

bB function calls and Curtis' bcd_math.asm aren't bankswitch aware. So if you use them you need to stick the function call and the function in the same bank. Right now the functions in your bB code are jumping to the right rom address in the wrong bank.

An easy work around is to skip Curtis' bcd_math.asm and just use a wee bit of inline assembly to do the same thing...

rem we can replace "player0score=subbcd(player0score,1)" with the following...

asm
 sed ; set decimal mode
end

player0score=player0score-1

asm
 cld ;clear decimal mode
end

bB function calls and Curtis' bcd_math.asm aren't bankswitch aware. So if you use them you need to stick the function call and the function in the same bank. Right now the functions in your bB code are jumping to the right rom address in the wrong bank.

An easy work around is to skip Curtis' bcd_math.asm and just use a wee bit of inline assembly to do the same thing...

rem we can replace "player0score=subbcd(player0score,1)" with the following...

asm
sed ; set decimal mode
end

player0score=player0score-1

asm
cld ;clear decimal mode
end

I was going to add a link to your post on the bB page, but I already link to a similar post:

atariage.com/forums/topic/197486-solved-player-scores-minikernel-multi-bank-broken/#entry2516283

Should I keep linking to that or should I change it to your post above?

Version 12 is now in the first post.

Fixed...

-The COLUM0 color bug. The missile should now be correctly colored above and below player0.

-Using PAL mode and no_blank_lines now produces the correct # of scan lines

Added...

-In the standard kernel "const scorefade=1" will enable the score fade effect. This adds shading to the score, or if you keep incrementing the scorecolor variable it will do the typical Atari color bar effect. score fade isn't available if you're using pfscore bars.

-Added the "dec" command. dec is a variation of "let" that adds and subtracts values in decimal mode. e.g "dec player0score=player0score-1". Other math operations aren't valid in decimal mode.

• Like 2

Version 12 is now in the first post.

Fixed...

-The COLUM0 color bug. The missile should now be correctly colored above and below player0.

-Using PAL mode and no_blank_lines now produces the correct # of scan lines

Added...

-In the standard kernel "const scorefade=1" will enable the score fade effect. This adds shading to the score, or if you keep incrementing the scorecolor variable it will do the typical Atari color bar effect. score fade isn't available if you're using pfscore bars.

-Added the "dec" command. dec is a variation of "let" that adds and subtracts values in decimal mode. e.g "dec player0score=player0score-1". Other math operations aren't valid in decimal mode.

I think the dec command may be a HUGE win for debugging. If I understand this correctly dec would let us add or subtract values and get a sane result in the on-screen score.

Added...

After I change the bB page to say that they should download this version of bB, I should add that info to the bB page. Are there any other changes that I need to add to the page?

I think the dec command may be a HUGE win for debugging. If I understand this correctly dec would let us add or subtract values and get a sane result in the on-screen score.

I'd say its pretty useful. It was previously possible to hit the separate score bytes, but the two methods were a bit cumbersome. You could wrap the arithmetic with assembly "sed" and "cld" commands like I did a few posts back, or you could use large numbers in your arithmetic to bypass earlier score digits. e.g score=score+100 would add 1 to the middle score digit digits.

Having the dec command keeps the source compact and means you can use it in the middle of a long if...then. Avoiding the "large number" method means you don't need to worry about the score byte overflowing into the higher score digit.

The converse of that is, if you do use dec, the score digit will roll over once it goes past 99, or roll back if it goes under 0.

The one thing to keep in mind is you need to use BCD numbers when you're adding or subtracting. So to add 13 to a score digit, you'd actually add $13.

After I change the bB page to say that they should download this version of bB, I should add that info to the bB page. Are there any other changes that I need to add to the page?

The only other new things were 64k support and DPC+ pfpixel pfread support. The majority of the rest of changes have been bugfixes, in addition to some behind the scenes stuff like the -v version switch and the rarely triggered bankswitch hotspot warning.
  • Like 1