IGNORED

bB with native 64k cart support - 1.1d.reveng

RevEng

I've assigned the 16 banks... did I miss something?

9015 bytes of ROM space left in bank 1
      1864 bytes of ROM space left in bank 2
      602 bytes of ROM space left in bank 3
      1119 bytes of ROM space left in bank 4
      2749 bytes of ROM space left in bank 5
      3408 bytes of ROM space left in bank 6
      1042 bytes of ROM space left in bank 7
      3534 bytes of ROM space left in bank 8
      4052 bytes of ROM space left in bank 9
      4052 bytes of ROM space left in bank 10
      4052 bytes of ROM space left in bank 11
      4052 bytes of ROM space left in bank 12
      4052 bytes of ROM space left in bank 13
      4052 bytes of ROM space left in bank 14
      4052 bytes of ROM space left in bank 15
      1132 bytes of ROM space left
      9015 bytes of ROM space left in bank 1
segment:  1fd4          eqm       vs current org: fc9d
DrakhansNight0.7.7.9.bas.asm (2097): error: Origin Reverse-indexed.
Aborting assembly
Errors were encountered during assembly.
Edited by abaudrand

• 5 months later...

Now that I know I have this working properly and am making some good progress with it, I was wondering - Is there a good way to know how many cycles are left when using the DPC+ kernel?

Because of the large playfield, color options, and multiple sprites, it didn't take long to feel like I am probably using a ton of cycles for what I have going on, but I'm hoping there is a way to actually find out. I don't have a way to test on real hardware to know if I'm doing anything that will 'break' the game, and still have a ton of stuff to add so I feel like I'm surely going to go way over with no way to track what I'm using.

• 9 months later...

Stella isn't cycle accurate so far as the ARM code running behind DPC+, so the only real way to know your code doesn't have cycle issues is to run it on real hardware.

I know, right? It's hard to impress people with the enhancements when they all reside in emu land. My stuff is flickery and slippery on Stella, but looks REAL GOOD on a VCS!

I believe you need a Harmony Encore to play 64k and up. Probably the upcoming 7800 Harmony will support these larger 2600 formats too.

There's no defined 64k DPC+ format or hardware capable of 64k DPC+ AFAIK. I believe the ARM chips with larger flash sizes to allow for >32k make it prohibitively expensive for non-multi carts, but batari would know better.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm using the latest version of this with build 556 of Visual Bb. When I compile anything, it seems to run as usual without giving any errors, however, no binary seems to be produced. I'm not sure if there is something I have set up wrong of if this is a bug. It seems to be independent of the .bas file I use. I'm running this on Windows 10. My path settings should be correct. If you need more details, I'd be more than happy to help figure this out. Thanks!

EDIT: I ran the compiler outside of Visual Bb and figured out why no binary was produced. It seems in your last upload you forgot to compile bbfilter for Windows. Luckily, since you had the source file in there, I was able to compile it myself. Now I just need to figure out what I'm doing wrong as far as my use of the DPC+ kernel.

Edited by AgentOrange96

For some reason Avira didn't tell me it quarantined that file on my desktop, however it did tell me on my laptop when I went to go check it on there. So yeah, you're spot on with that one! Thank you!

Edited by AgentOrange96

Building a DPC+ game with " const noscore = 1 " results in 251 scan lines, not 262.

Looks like noscore was only partially implemented in the DPC+ bB kernel. I added some code to maintain a 262 scanline count, and updated the bB zip in the first post of this thread.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Can someone tell me why, when using vbasic to insert the dpc+ kernel, after each bank it says temp1 = temp1 ?

What is the purpose of temp1 = temp1 after each bank?

Look here:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#dpc_harmony

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I got a new laptop and I was going to reinstall all the Batari stuff on it. So I went to that 8-bit link for the new download and as soon as I downloaded it, Avaste popped up and said it had a virus and wouldn't let me access it.

• Like 1

It's a false positive. My bB binaries are built on a Linux system and they never see a Windows system until the end-user receives them. There's no virus capable of crossing over from Linux to Windows, or visa versa.

There's more detail about this false-positive here.

Unfortunately the AV companies don't seem to care about collateral damage to open source projects, and websites.

[edit - try again now. I've just recompiled the binaries with a different level of compiler optimization, basically shuffling the bytes around, and VirusTotal shows Avast and all but 1 AV program accepting it now. Stupid AV companies are wasting everybody's time, and ruining reputations.]