IGNORED

Assembly Gurus: Flicker-Free Multi Sprite Possible?

Hmmn.. I think I'm starting to see the fundamental flaw. When you see a title screen or 48 pixel sprite it's using all the available objects to draw that. So trying to merge two sprites to avoid flicker is pointless because you always just get 8 "pixels" to work with per horizontal line per player object?

You probably couldn't create a bitmap mode from a title screen like kernel because there's barely enough time to draw a static image from ROM on the screen. Is that assumption correct too?

I think I've got my answer (if I understand the problem correctly). Thanks for your time, guys :)

Oh, you just want a 48 pixel wide bitmap? No problem - just use a normal 48 pixel kernel and read from RAM instead of ROM. Update the bitmap however you want during VBLANK. The maximum resolution should be 48x21 (126 bytes)

I always wondered if a super mario land game could be made that way. I would call it super mario city :D

• Like 1

Oh, you just want a 48 pixel wide bitmap? No problem - just use a normal 48 pixel kernel and read from RAM instead of ROM. Update the bitmap however you want during VBLANK. The maximum resolution should be 48x21 (126 bytes)

Tjoppen,

was just discussing this idea on another thread! :) Seems a 48x42 bitmap could live in CBS RAM or larger sizes up to 48x192 in some other formats.

The DPC+ kernel supports reading 40x192 titlescreens for playfield graphics and I believe, from RAM as a malleable playfield so it looks like there's plenty of addressable RAM in DPC+ land for reading 48x192 sprites from RAM.