IGNORED

Defender of the Crown Demo Cartridge

DOTC also has a disadvantage in that there are soooo many versions available. The GBA version is pretty awesome, and I can get that for way less than $80.

I'd rather see a unique game for Inty with some of the same strategy/story/action elements. I'm more likely to pay $80+ for a new game like that.

Also - if it doesn't have the music then I'm 100% out. The music is like 30% of why I absolutely LOVE this game.

I could see if this was yet another version of Pac-Man or Donkey Kong or something similar, but with a game like Defender of the Crown - and the tweaks and improvements that can be made while still keeping the original format intact - there's considerable appeal for most of us. This type of back port has not been done before in this way on this particular platform, so it certainly has a lot of things in its favor. With that said, hopefully the economics of the Kickstarter are modest and only say, 150 boxed copies need to be sold for successful funding. If it's a more outrageous number for it to succeed, I'd be concerned. If for some crazy reason these things started becoming common on Kickstarter, then I could see a cry for originality, but for now, this has tremendous value to the community as-is. In any case, you can't please everyone with these things. Certainly I think your music comment is probably more or less unique to your preferences. I doubt something like that would stop very many other sales, if any, of something like this.

Certainly I think your music comment is probably more or less unique to your preferences. I doubt something like that would stop very many other sales, if any, of something like this.

I was just trying to confuse everyone with lots of percentages . . . .

"30% of the time I'm out every time"

But seriously - the DOTC music is great

"The Wings kickstarter failed in 2012 and it was an HD release for mobile platforms and PC. I know DOTC was a more popular game, but if the point of the kickstarter is to release on only Intellevision then I'm skeptical that it will succeed. Perhaps an Inty version will spin off as a result, but I don't see it being the main focus of the kickstarter, and it will probably come much later after the actual updated version is produced.

DOTC also has a disadvantage in that there are soooo many versions available. The GBA version is pretty awesome, and I can get that for way less than $80.

I'd rather see a unique game for Inty with some of the same strategy/story/action elements. I'm more likely to pay $80+ for a new game like that.

Also - if it doesn't have the music then I'm 100% out. The music is like 30% of why I absolutely LOVE this game."

Yes, the 2012 Wings kickstarter failed. They are re-doing it and THEN running our kickstarter.

It has nothing to do with the DOTC kickstarter. The whole point of the DOTC kickstarter is to fund the completion of the game ON THE INTELLIVISION, which is 60 percent done. This is not a kickstarter to do another version of DOTC. Just because you can get DOTC on the GBA is irrelevant. People who want this game want it because they are an Intellivision fan. They want it because they are a DOTC fan. They want it for the coolness factor. They want it because they want to see something amazing. People pay 80 dollars for new games for the Intellivision already. (which includes shipping to North America)

And, D2K has sold over 500 copies....so, it isn't unreasonable.

I would bet real money that D2K is the only Intellivision homebrew game with such sales.

Also, does that include copies "in the channel," or is it only actual end-user sales.

I imagine that a franchise game like DotC could do similarly--it seems to be a very popular game--but to answer some other people's question, it is extremely rare for other Intellivision homebrews to sell more than a couple of hundred--if that.

Christmas Carol is a very popular game by many measures, but it can't hold a candle next to a game with 30 years of sustained popularity.

I'm not sure how the Kickstarter for DotC will do (it is a lot of money for one of the lesser retro consoles), but I'm confident that, should it get made, it will sell very well.

dZ.

Well, DZ, you would be out real money, because I'm just getting started.

My games are in the Digital Press store. I made an advertisement on Facebook saying so, and two people who had never heard of our games and go to Digital Press in New Jersey are lining up to buy.

Christmas Carol is indeed a popular game......on Atari Age. However, I am sure that the very people learning about Match 5 and Minehunter, will never hear about it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Off topic - anyone have an extra D2K patch or Christmas Carol patch or their own that they would be willing to sell or trade? If so please feel free to PM me.

Thanks.

The Carol patch is pretty rare. I believe that only around 11 or 12 were given out in the high score competition last year. I know that I'm insanely proud of mine and I'm assuming the others that won one feel the same so they're likely not going to be available.

There's been a lot of D2K patches issued and some were sold on eBay as well. Rev may still have more?