IGNORED

Taking My PAL Jr to China...

PFL

I'm going to China for a few months and I really want to take my 2600 with me. I have my PAL Harmony cart loaded up and I'm about to do an audio out mod on my Jr.

Does anyone have any experience of running PAL Ataris on Chinese tellys?

Would it be easier to change the Harmony firmware and buy a 2600 in China? Are they even readily available over there?!

Any help would be appreciated. :)

China use PAL-D tv system, so you should be able to get a picture. If you modded it for sound, no problems ;)

Otherwise, it's very likely that Chinese TVs, like Euro TV, are multistandard and will take your Atari signal with no problems.

I dunno if China use the Euro/FM connector or the US F-connector, but there is adapters available for like 2€ on eBay.

Edited by CatPix

I'm going to China for a few months and I really want to take my 2600 with me. I have my PAL Harmony cart loaded up and I'm about to do an audio out mod on my Jr.

Do you plan to search for Atari 2600 cartridges while you're there? Could be some interesting stuff, waiting to be uncovered...

Just got internet access for the first time in days. That's good to hear about the PAL signal in China. As long as I can get a picture I'm sure I can get a pair of cheap active speakers in China!

I do plan on looking for interesting 2600 stuff while I'm there. I have absolutely no idea how the 2600 did/does in China though... I have a feeling not very well. It was, after all, the height of the Cold War during the 2600 heydays. But you never know what weird pirates or whatever might be lurking over there. :)

I do plan on looking for interesting 2600 stuff while I'm there. I have absolutely no idea how the 2600 did/does in China though... I have a feeling not very well. It was, after all, the height of the Cold War during the 2600 heydays. But you never know what weird pirates or whatever might be lurking over there. :)

Yep.. Could be some stuff no one has ever seen before. At the very least, there may be pirate carts around that have drifted into the country from Taiwan or somewhere.

I hate to be a kill joy, but I've searched Beijing extensively for anything atari related and not seen a single speck of a thing. Hong Kong and Taiwan would probably be a different matter.

Where are you going to? If you have an opportunity to go to Taiwan or Korea, you'd find some treasures I'm sure.

Video Gems, they where a Chinese (Hong Kong) company doing original games (5 titles).

Maybe you'll find a bunch of those and bring 'em back for selling.

I'll keep my eyes open for them. You never know...

I'm going to be based in Beijing but I may be able to travel so maybe Taiwan and HK aren't impossible...

I'll keep my eyes open for them. You never know...

I'm going to be based in Beijing

In case you haven't been warned already:

If any strangers invite you to a "tea ceremony", don't go. It's a very common scam in Beijing and Shanghai.

In case you haven't been warned already:

If any strangers invite you to a "tea ceremony", don't go. It's a very common scam in Beijing and Shanghai.

lol!

But seriously (no pun intended ;) ) Beijing is a very safe place (I'm sure Shanghai too). The people are very friendly and honest, they won't steal or get aggressive towards you, primarily because the law is so hard on criminals.

They do love to haggle on prices at markets, and it can be quite fun, because lets face it at the end of the day we are paying peanuts whatever the price.

Any tea ceremony scam that I can imagine (it's never happened to me in all the times I've been there) would purely be to sell you some second rate tea at an exorbitant price - so be warned :) !! I've been asked to visit student exhibitions at art galleries, or go to a bar and speak English over a few drinks so that they can improve their language skills, but I've always flatly said no thanks - In my experience I've always spotted a 'scam' a mile off.

Any tea ceremony scam that I can imagine (it's never happened to me in all the times I've been there) would purely be to sell you some second rate tea at an exorbitant price - so be warned :) !! I've been asked to visit student exhibitions at art galleries, or go to a bar and speak English over a few drinks so that they can improve their language skills, but I've always flatly said no thanks - In my experience I've always spotted a 'scam' a mile off.

The tea ceremony scam is similar to the bar scam.

Someone invites you to go with them to an establishment that exists purely to fleece tourists. You get an outrageous tab at the end (for tea or alcohol, whatever the case may be). The person(s) who invited you acts like everything is normal and gladly pays their portion with a smile (unless they are female, in which case they'll usually let you know that it is traditional for you to pay for them too). You leave, and they go back to get their money back plus a hefty commission.