IGNORED

Princess Rescue Binaries Released!

Albert

• 2 weeks later...

I've added 25 boxed copies of Princess Rescue to the store:

Princess Rescue - Boxed

50 boxed copies will also be available at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo. I'm going to make 25 boxes available to those who previously purchased "loose" (cart and manual) copies of the game. If you're interested in a box, please send me a PM. The boxes are be $20 plus $3 shipping in the US. Outside the US I'll need to calculate shipping on a case-by-case basis. Included with the box is the box insert to hold the cartridge in place (and add additional strength to the box).

Also available are Blinky Goes Up (2600), Armor Attack II (7800), Crazy Otto (7800), and Full Circle: Rocketeer (Jaguar).

..Al

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An amazing homebrew and amazing addition to the 2600 library. I played through level 1-3.The music is pretty great, and I liked the way you dealt with the vertically moving platforms (among other things). While I am the right age to have enjoyed the original, it just never really clicked for me, so I doubt I'll pursue it much more. Excellent job though.

^^You mean you haven't played the original Super Mario Brothers?!?! :o

I've played it quite a bit actually - just never really liked it. If I were to give the short version of why:

It is too hard

and to actually experience all the features of the game you have to gain access to secrets.

I was simply never willing to overcome the difficulty and discover all those secrets. I think I've defeated final Bowser 1 time but the memorization in the last level was an annoyance and because I didn't know how to get 99 lives, I frequently end up dying cause I forget which pipe to go down.

I've played it quite a bit actually - just never really liked it. If I were to give the short version of why:

It is too hard

and to actually experience all the features of the game you have to gain access to secrets.

I was simply never willing to overcome the difficulty and discover all those secrets. I think I've defeated final Bowser 1 time but the memorization in the last level was an annoyance and because I didn't know how to get 99 lives, I frequently end up dying cause I forget which pipe to go down.

Super Mario Brothers actually has a much gentler difficulty curve than most of the other classic 2D Marios. In fact many NES games released by third parties later in the NES lifespan were notoriously difficult compared to Super Mario Bros and most other first party titles. World 8-4 is not that hard to memorize; each pipe you need to take immediately follows a pit. The hammer bro near the end of 8-4 typically gave me more grief than the final Bowser fight. The Warp zones in 1-2 and 4-2 are easy to access once you know where to find them. There are also some stairs near the end of World 3-1 where you can abuse a Koopa by bouncing on it's back to gain extra lives. It's tricky to get it started but once you do it's the gravy train for free 1-UPs. Be careful though as you will have a GAME OVER if you gain more than 127 lives!!!