IGNORED

we need a Vectrex Super Mario

mkiker2089

Princess Rescue was possible due to batari BASIC. The only BASIC project I know of for Vectrex hasn't made any progress in years.

The new homebrew for Vectrex seem to focus on making games that take advantage of how it works. Vector based platformers may not fit in that category.

UPDATE:

Check out Spike

http://www.mobygames.com/game/vectrex/spike

I'm still miffed that the guy who claimed to have written a Vectrex BASIC compiler never delivered the goods.

My guess is that he tried to bundle it with his bigger idea (a Vectrex OS) and the whole project got too big. I personally believe game creation tools should have more weight than other projects because they continue to return on investment with each new game someone else is able to make with your contribution.

• Like 1

I definitely would NOT want to see a Super Mario Bros. type platformer on the Vectrex, but certainly a platform-style game that took advantage of its unique features would be most welcome. Maybe something along the lines of a vector-based conversion of I, Robot?

• Like 1

Why does it have to be a one or the other? We need a great variety of games on it and Super Mario is very different from the norm. I want to prove to people that the Vectrex has ultimate capabilities beyond space shooters.

Doesn't the Vectrex already have ultimate capabilities? A vector monitor unmatched by any other home video game console? I've been wanting to get my hands on one for ages and, as much as I love the game, the last thing I would want to play on it is Super Mario Bros. Let the Vectrex play to its strengths. There are plenty of other vector-based games that could be explored.

I really hate how back-porting games to the classic consoles has become a litmus for how awesome these old consoles could have been. They already are awesome. Give me original games that push the limits of the hardware, not just back-ported titles from later consoles for the sake of seeing if it can be done.

My take on it is that Super Mario is the ultimate litmus test for all consoles. This is the best selling game of all time after all, and for a reason. However a Vector platformer doesn't have to be limited to it. A vector I, Robot could be interesting perhaps.

People say let the Vectrex play to it's strengths but that usually just means "I like space shooters." The strength of the vectrex is more than that. It's lacking a really good platformer game or at least I'm not aware of one.

People say let the Vectrex play to it's strengths but that usually just means "I like space shooters." The strength of the vectrex is more than that. It's lacking a really good platformer game or at least I'm not aware of one.

That doesn't mean that at all. There are just some things sharp lines are and aren't suited for. ANY game could work, it just would have to be reworked to play to the platform's capabilities. In SMB's case, that would likely make it unrecognizable.

That doesn't mean that at all. There are just some things sharp lines are and aren't suited for. ANY game could work, it just would have to be reworked to play to the platform's capabilities. In SMB's case, that would likely make it unrecognizable.

In my mind it would be awesome. The game would be stripped down to it's basics. All you need are a few shapes all of which can be done well with line drawing. You need Mario, Super Mario, Power Up mushroom, Goomba, Koopa, flower, star, and coins.

I really hate how back-porting games to the classic consoles has become a litmus for how awesome these old consoles could have been. They already are awesome. Give me original games that push the limits of the hardware, not just back-ported titles from later consoles for the sake of seeing if it can be done.

This issue was raised by mos6507 in a thoughtful post in the homebrew section a few years ago, and it's still a pet peeve of mine. There isn't nearly enough original game design effort in homebrew: there are plenty of potentially great original ideas waiting to be discovered, but instead, everyone seems content to keep re-hashing and re-chewing someone else's tired old game designs, usually from the same handful of arcade and console titles. The usual explanation is that the programmer is doing it only as a technical exercise, to "see if they could do it." Well, why not try going for something original to "see if you can do" that? Granted, designing a new game is a lot harder than just mashing together elements borrowed from other games ("Space Invaders meets Breakout? How about BreakInvaders! Ha!"), but even if you're going to re-do another game, at least try to reconceive it in a creative way instead of settling for a complete carbon copy.

• Like 1

even if you're going to re-do another game, at least try to reconceive it in a creative way instead of settling for a complete carbon copy.

Vector Pilot is a great example of where this works. It's a true Time Pilot port with many extras. The game is a masterpiece and easily the best game available today for the Vectrex. There's an extra level included along with unlockable aircraft.

Other developers may not be so lucky. When porting an arcade game to console most gamers will want to see the game faithfully recreated. Straying far from the original concept could prove disastrous.

Other developers may not be so lucky. When porting an arcade game to console most gamers will want to see the game faithfully recreated. Straying far from the original concept could prove disastrous.

I don't get that impression. Sales of most homebrew games are of the predictable variety, with the only variable being the platform (meaning roughly 10 - 250 or so copies). A variation on a popular pre-existing game would almost surely sell the same amount of limited copies as an exact copy. I'll take anything, but I always prefer something original or an expanded vision of an existing game, rather than a clone, which is unnecessary in today's world of emulation.

This issue was raised by mos6507 in a thoughtful post in the homebrew section a few years ago, and it's a pet peeve of mine still. There isn't nearly enough original game design effort in homebrew: there are still plenty of potentially great original ideas waiting to be discovered, but instead, everyone seems content to keep re-hashing and re-chewing someone else's tired old game designs, usually from the same handful of arcade and console titles. The usual explanation is that the programmer is doing it only as a technical exercise, to "see if they could do it." Well, why not try going for something original to "see if you can do" that? Granted, designing a new game is a lot harder than just mashing together elements borrowed from other games ("Space Invaders meets Breakout? How about BreakInvaders! Ha!"), but even if you're going to re-do another game, at least try to reconceive it in a creative way instead of settling for a complete carbon copy.

There's only one problem with what you're proposing: People don't buy original games, not unless they read or hear some awesome reviews about how "great" or "groundbreaking" the game supposedly is. When it comes time to draw money from their wallets and pay for a homebrew cart, most people will go with what they know.

If I announce that I'm going to publish a new version of Moon Patrol on ColecoVision, programmed from scratch, everyone knows what I'm talking about just by the game's title, and the hype will build up towards the release date all by itself. If I announce a game named "Revenge of Galzamazuk", people may raise an eyebrow and investigate if they have some free time available, but when the time comes to actually spend their hard-earned money, they'll go for titles they know will give them the most satisfaction for their bucks. Call it the "nostalgia factor" or the need to revisit fun experiences of the past, that's just how the wheel turns.

Your position comes from a consumer's perspective only. Here's the perspective of a homebrew publisher: These games are expensive to produce in low quantities and I don't want to stay stuck with inventory. I just don't. So the best way for everyone to be happy is to go with the games people actually want to see on their favorite retro console. They're happy because they (finally) get the games they want, and I'm happy because I sell all my copies (and maybe a few more afterwards) and I get my investment back.

Originality is nice, but nostalgia and brand recognition are far more potent motivators for selling video games.

• Like 1