IGNORED

Took the plunge & bought a Vita

Mendon

Well, I found a good deal on a used PS Vita and took the plunge. I found a Call of Duty bundle with Vita (in excellent condition), charger, 4gb memory card, CoD game, box & all documentation, a carrying case, and a trigger grip (not sure of manufacturer) for $150. Very pleased with the deal.

Only spent about an hour playing around with the system and I must say I'm VERY impressed with everything. The system itself has a gorgeous display and Sony did an incredible job designing and building it. Duel analog sticks are really an improvement over the single PSP stick. I like the NEAR feature and have discovered about 20 people within a 5mile radius who are Vita gamers. Touch screen is very responsive.

Only thing I've discovered that I don't like about the system is that because of the shiny finish, it really, really shows fingerprints. I have a feeling that I'm going to have to clean it after every play session.

Besides the CoD game, I've downloaded Uncharted Golden Abyss and Plants vs. Zombies for free using my PS Plus membership. I also bought Pixel Junk Monsters Ultimate HD and can only say WOW... if you are a PJM fan, you have got to check out this beautiful version of the game.

One of my son's, who also has a Vita, let me borrow Persona 4 Golden. I've never played a Persona game before and while I've only gotten to the first save point (after getting off the train), I believe I'm really going to enjoy this game. It seems totally different from any other RPG I've ever played and looks like it will be interesting as hell and a blast of fun.

Any other game suggestions or accessory suggestions I should be aware of?

Ughhhhh....I didn't need to read this. I will still wait till Christmas. :P

You have some awesome starter games and I think Persona will suck all your hours and life away. It's addicting fun. Did you try PSP games on it yet? How do they look?

Since your a PS plus member go grab Dokuro...it's normally $13.99 but it's free this week.

Remember also that if you buy certain PS3 games you get the Vita versions free forever.

Sly Cooper, Pinball Arcade, Zen Pinball, Ratchet and Clank etc.

List here:

http://www.giantbomb.com/cross-buy/3015-7554/games/

I've been thinking about buying a Vita. I've even bid on a few on ebay but I'm not willing to pay just to win.

I'm kinda torn between picking up a Vita or a PSP though given the price difference.

Nobody local carries a single game for either one.

Persona 4 was a hell of a trip. I bought a Vita at launch with the intention of being ready for Golden but an uptick in work meant I never got to it. Oh well.

Cool system. I only have Lumines but it is a glorious game. Maybe even better than Tetris

The Vita is wonderful! I love it, and if you are a graphics pig like me you won't be disappointed! Do yourself a favor and pick up Rayman Origins and Gravity Rush. You can thank me later!

If I didn't already own Rayman Origins for the Wii I'd buy the Vita version for sure. And I'll keep Gravity Rush in mind.

Thanks for the suggestions!

If you enjoyed the Ys games on the PSP, absolutely make sure you preorder Ys: Memories of Celceta, Falcom's own take on Ys IV (whose previous versions were all done by other developers). It and Gravity Rush were my primary drivers for getting a PSV.

In the way of download-only games, here are my recommendations:

- Velocity Ultra - the remake of the outstanding Mini Velocity--which really wasn't very mini in content, considering the remake has a Platinum Trophy

- Life of Pixel - (from the PlayStation Mobile section of the PS Store) a very enjoyable platformer built around homages to 9 classic consoles/computers

- Dokuro - I enjoyed this puzzle-platformer enough that I worked on it so that the Platinum Trophy unlocked at the same time as 2 Golds and 3 Silvers.

- Rock Boshers DX - (from the PlayStation Mobile section) a ZX Spectrum-styled twin-stick shooter with quite a variety of level designs in its campaign

The PSV has been very attractive to indie developers lately (Sony has been courting them left and right), so check in the PS Store's indie games section and see if there's anything that catches your eye.

There are also several remakes of popular Minis that are either out already (like Velocity Ultra) or coming soon to the North American Store. Flying Hamster HD, Coconut Dodge Revitalised, Floating Cloud God Saves the Pilgrims in HD!, The HD Adventures of Rotating Octopus Character, OMG HD Zombies!, Hungry Giraffe, BreakQuest: Extra Evolution Freemium . . . that might be all of them. Sequels for Zombie Tycoon and Fieldrunners as well.

onmode-ky

There are also several remakes of popular Minis that are either out already (like Velocity Ultra) or coming soon to the North American Store. Flying Hamster HD, Coconut Dodge Revitalised, Floating Cloud God Saves the Pilgrims in HD!, The HD Adventures of Rotating Octopus Character, OMG HD Zombies!, Hungry Giraffe, BreakQuest: Extra Evolution Freemium . . . that might be all of them. Sequels for Zombie Tycoon and Fieldrunners as well.

They are remaking some mini's? Really?

That is good news but I would hate to pay for them again. The good thing is that they are dirt cheap and most of mine I got through PS plus for free.

Mendon. If you like Warioware then give Frobisher Says(free) a try http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7fZ1bprpG0.

If you ever wanted to see how GTA would look on the Nes then Retro City Rampage($5) does.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M6ja-hgul4It's a really fun 8-bit style GTA type game with 60 missions and mini games(which includes a Virtual boy Super Meat boy game which has you playing the game through a Virtual boyhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny98G7yBG0Q).It has lots of Videogame/classic movie/popular shows/artists references(Back to the future, TMNT, Mario, Mega man MC hammer, Six million dollar man,Fresh prince, Skate or die).

Edited by xDragonWarrior

Well, I found a good deal on a used PS Vita and took the plunge. I found a Call of Duty bundle with Vita (in excellent condition), charger, 4gb memory card, CoD game, box & all documentation, a carrying case, and a trigger grip (not sure of manufacturer) for $150. Very pleased with the deal.

Only spent about an hour playing around with the system and I must say I'm VERY impressed with everything. The system itself has a gorgeous display and Sony did an incredible job designing and building it. Duel analog sticks are really an improvement over the single PSP stick. I like the NEAR feature and have discovered about 20 people within a 5mile radius who are Vita gamers. Touch screen is very responsive.

Only thing I've discovered that I don't like about the system is that because of the shiny finish, it really, really shows fingerprints. I have a feeling that I'm going to have to clean it after every play session.

Besides the CoD game, I've downloaded Uncharted Golden Abyss and Plants vs. Zombies for free using my PS Plus membership. I also bought Pixel Junk Monsters Ultimate HD and can only say WOW... if you are a PJM fan, you have got to check out this beautiful version of the game.

One of my son's, who also has a Vita, let me borrow Persona 4 Golden. I've never played a Persona game before and while I've only gotten to the first save point (after getting off the train), I believe I'm really going to enjoy this game. It seems totally different from any other RPG I've ever played and looks like it will be interesting as hell and a blast of fun.

Any other game suggestions or accessory suggestions I should be aware of?

WECOME TO THE CLUB!!! :) :)

Yeah,the Vita is a cool system and I got one back in May '12.On the flip side of what you did recently,I got me a used 3DS in aqua blue here a few days ago and I've been tinkering on it with Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer,Ridge Racer and Aliens: Infestation.Also am wanting to grab a copy of Pinball Hall Of Fame: The Williams Collection to see how it compares to my PSP and Vita versions of the tables for the hell of it.We'll see how bad it really was here! ;) :) I heard it sucked.....

[/size]

That is good news but I would hate to pay for them again. The good thing is that they are dirt cheap and most of mine I got through PS plus for free.

Yeah,Pinball Heroes Complete just went up for Vita on PSN a few days ago and I grabbed it!

I think a lot of the sales of the PSV versions are actually coming from new customers. By that, I mean people who either intentionally ignored Minis (e.g., those who actively avoid games that have no Trophies), never had a PSP/PS3, never knew Minis were playable on their PS3s, or simply never heard about the games before due to Minis' lower market awareness. That's really what these remakes are targeting, since the PSV has opened up a new set of players. Let's face it; Minis didn't have all that many people buying them. It was a great program for small developers to get their feet wet in the world of console self-publishing, though, and so several of these little guys have graduated to the PSV.

For players interested in rebuying, many of the remakes have slicked-up graphics and online leaderboards, in addition to the requisite Trophy support (and some are actually cheaper than the Minis versions were when they first released), but a few have gone a little further. Velocity Ultra, for example, has an entirely different art style, and explosions have added visual flair for extra punch. OMG HD Zombies! is probably the most significantly different from its original, with new enemies, new levels, new upgrades, and a prestige system for repeatedly beating the whole game.

Yeah,Pinball Heroes Complete just went up for Vita on PSN a few days ago and I grabbed it!

A minor quibble, but Sony's Pinball Heroes games were never Minis. They had online leaderboards even when on the PSP.

And another minor quibble: you really should put spaces after your commas and periods. :)

onmode-ky

I don't have a Vita and can't afford one. However, I was pleasantly surprised with the system when I had the chance to play one at a pawn shop. It feels so advanced! I was happy enough with the 3DS, but this feels so much more cutting edge. The screen is absolutely massive, and those thumbsticks feel great. I just wish I could have done more than play a couple of the demos on the system!

Well, I found a good deal on a used PS Vita and took the plunge. I found a Call of Duty bundle with Vita (in excellent condition), charger, 4gb memory card, CoD game, box & all documentation, a carrying case, and a trigger grip (not sure of manufacturer) for $150.

Sony really needs to drop the retail price to somewhere in that range.

Thanks to everyone for your game suggestions, especially the mini's. I did a screen print of your posts and will keep the list at hand for future purchases. Right now, my time is being eaten up totally with Persona 4 Gold and PJM Ultimate but a couple of your suggestions sound really, really good.

Thanks again!!

Since Minis have been mentioned and this is AtariAge, you might be interested in some of these classic arcade games that got ported over by developer G1M2 from the Data East and pre Neo Geo SNK libraries.

http://www.pspminis....etails/?devid=8

Since I don't own a Vita, I'm not sure what works and doesn't work on the Vita with its selective PSP compatibility. And some that are compatible probably have to be downloaded through a PS3 instead of directly. But it's worth a look if you're a classic gaming fan since most around here should be able to find at least a game or two they'd like with ease.

Edited by Atariboy

I'd say take a look at the Vita version of Dragon's Crown. It comes out.... today, in fact!

If you're a fan of Golden Axe style games, you'd probably enjoy it.

Additionally, check out the Vita version of Disgaea 3 if you absolutely, positively hate the idea of having free time.

The best accessory I've picked up for the Vita so far is the Nyko sound dock/charging station. It keeps my Vita fully charged and provides surprisingly good amplified sound from its small stereo speakers. For $15 bucks it's definitely worth the money if you find yourself doing a lot of video streaming and don't want to hold up the Vita while you're viewing. I've become addicted to watching MST3K episodes from youtube on it!

I'd say take a look at the Vita version of Dragon's Crown. It comes out.... today, in fact!

If you're a fan of Golden Axe style games, you'd probably enjoy it.

Additionally, check out the Vita version of Disgaea 3 if you absolutely, positively hate the idea of having free time.

I second that. Dragons Crown is incredible. I got my PS3 version yesterday and I wont stop playing it. In fact I can't wait to get home later to play it some more. Smokin' good!

Totally agree, I have been playing Disgaea 3 for three months now, got it for free with PS+ which will give you all the games you need as a Vita owner. Be prepared to surrender even more of your free time, as Disgaea 4 is coming out soon for the Vita, although I will skip it sinceI played the hell out of it on the PS3. As for PSP games, Valkyria Chronicles 2 looks OK on it but I had to download it through the PS3. Not sure why as it seems to run fine on the Vita. People always complain about no games being out for the Vita but I have finished Uncharted, Gravity Rush (another fun and free PS+ game), played a lot of Hot Shots Golf and FIFA Soccer and am halfway through Persona 4. Mortal Kombat is a lot of fun on the Vita too and the VIta has been seeing a lot more gaming time from me than the PS3.

For anyone thinking about getting one, think about it on Black Friday, I got the Assassins Creed Vita bundle last year for $180 from amazon and it included a 4 gig memory card and free Assassins Creed game, which I don't know when I will ever get to.

The best accessory I've picked up for the Vita so far is the Nyko sound dock/charging station. It keeps my Vita fully charged and provides surprisingly good amplified sound from its small stereo speakers. For $15 bucks it's definitely worth the money if you find yourself doing a lot of video streaming and don't want to hold up the Vita while you're viewing. I've become addicted to watching MST3K episodes from youtube on it!

I didn't think of it until your post.... I have a PSP speaker stand by Logic that allows you to sit the PSP in it, charge it, and the stereo speakers produce pretty good sound. I'll have to check and see if the Vita will work with it.

Thanks for the info!!