IGNORED

Lodging suggestions?

I'm arriving Thursday night so I can help setup the AtariAge booth on Friday. The Double Tree is full on the 3rd and reviews of Red Lion aren't so hot (noisy, no climate control in room, a report of bud bugs in a review from 2 weeks ago, etc) so I'm looking for another place to stay. Any recommendations/warnings for other hotels near the convention center? I don't plan to get a rental car, so walking distance access to the light rail system is a must.

Thanks for checking!

Hmm - Crown Plaza's $166 a night. I don't mind paying that if the place is nice, but based on this:

Reservation requires full prepayment for the entire stay at the time of booking, and is non-refundable.

I think I'll pass as while I do plan to go, things do happen and $830 is a lot of money to be out if something prevents me from going.

There is a Marriott Courtyard at the convention center

Thanks! That's one of the hotels I checked out online this weekend. I decided to deal with the hassle of changing hotels due to the Double Tree's expo rate of $104 vs $189 at the Courtyard. I'm staying for 5 nights, so the difference really adds up.

I debated just staying at the first hotel for the 5 nights, but I don't think I'd enjoy staying that long near the airport.

I hope to do a little site seeing on Monday, anything you can recommend? Access via the light rail system is a plus as I don't plan to rent a car.

Edited by SpiceWare

The Doubletree is a nice hotel. The building I work at is right next to it. That rate is very good for that hotel.

As for sightseeing, I highly recommend a short trip downtown. Powells Bookstore *is* Portland. Lunch at one of the food cart pods is a must. Sit and people watch at Pioneer Courthouse Square -- Portland's living room. Ground Kontrol is a classic arcade if you like that kind of thing. The Oregon Zoo is also on light rail and highly recommended. I can do my best to answer any questions you have.

Restaurants near your hotel I would recommend:

Frank's Noodle House - Asian noodles

Burgerville - a good local burger chain

McMenamans - a little fancier burger joint

Pizza Schmizza or Bellagio's - pizza

Newport Seafood Grill - Excellent, but spendy.

Chai Yo Thai

Pastini - Italian

• 4 weeks later...