IGNORED

Alternate Reality 3D remake: Parallel Realm

SilverAR

Greetings AR fans and AR lovers,

As some of you already know, I've started an Alternate Reality 3D remake project and called it Parallel Realm. It is supposed to be a modern remake taking this great game onto a modern 3D gaming platform using Unity engine.

http://parallelrealm.byethost4.com/

Some FAQ:

• The images on the website are not from the game, at least not yet. They serve as concept images to show how the game might eventually look.
  • The current downloadable verison or a browser version is not a completed remake, but barely a 'skeleton' prototype. More stuff will be added in future releases until eventually the game takes its final shape.
  • A corrected file was recently uoploaded (both as downloadable and browser version), which fixed a nasty bug in the character controller script. Hopefully the character movement is better now.
  • The project is a non-commercial one. I will respect that the copyrights belong to Philip Price and will never distribute a paid version without his knowledge and aproval. (which is actually not the purpose of this project)
  • No IOS version is planned at this stage.
  • I'm not planning this to be MMO at this stage. Although some online functionality might be implemented (e.g. comparing the characters online). Building in the MMO functionality might eventually be the case, but it's a long way.
  • It's going to take time. I will focus on the City only for now. Once the City is done and functional, only then I will proceed to work on the Dungeon. Eventually (of course) all 7 scenadios should be recreated/created.

I'm looking for any kind of feedback, ideas and/or contributions. Particularly I'd like to capture the AR atmosphere/charm in modern graphics. In other words after the players' characters are deployed next to the Floating Gate, they should immadiately feel that this is AR. So if you know what makes AR AR, please share your opinion.

Also, some people helped with a decision of what type of graphics would be apropriate. See this post: http://arproject.50.....html#p20622484

Edited by SilverAR
  • Like 1

Philip Price was busy working on the B2 Stealth Bomber project. Besides, I think the whole fiasco with Datasoft hosing him out of his royalties really burned him out. Too bad the ARO '97 thing didn't work out. Oh, well. We have Acrin1 doing the new ARX project and now SilverAR starting on the new 3D project. That is pretty cool goings-on. If you're a minecraft player, I got into the action as well and built a replica of the City & Dungeon to run in MC 1.5.2, complete with original art, secret doors, blinkers, sound-effects, etc...

You can check that out here(Part1, make sure you check out part 2 as well!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stv4aTsg7UY&feature=youtu.be

:grin:

If you want to try it out, you have to have Forge for MC 1.5.2 and both my City Map and ARMinecraft Mod plugin (the map will not function without the Mod Plugin file.)

Edited by densonj

I'm amazed to see the Minecraft version. I read about it on Acrin's forum, but I was under the impression that it was a simple import of City walls into Minecraft. I had no idea that you built the entire City and Dungeon. Incredible amount of work and effort went into this!

I think I've also read (was it on Acrin's forum?) that someone made or was about to make AR as a Skyrim mod. The problem with mods is... well, it's quite convenient to use the main game's tools and resources, but unfortunately you cannot code AR functionality.

Just wondering why Philip Price never had the ambition to do the same...

Yes, my sentiments exactly. I think ARO'97 was such an attempt, but obviously it is no more. Well, it just hurts that a modern 3D remake of AR has never been made.

Edited by SilverAR

Yep. It's been a good amount of work. I added a lot more than just textures. The secret doors, blinkers, etc... are all in place. Minecraft is 100% customizeable so with enough time, I could replicate most of the functionality of the game (music, monsters, quests, etc...). It was never my intention to do so (but I could ;) ).

Yes there was a guy last year that started doing a Skyrim mod of AR. He did quite a bit on it actually. Here's a link to one of his videos's (he did a few if I remember correctly):

Looks really good. Thanks for posting this video.

Well again, the problem is that the resources and functionality is from Skyrim. It looks like Skyrim. Can you quaff potions? Use the healer? How about day/night cycle? Or even how about Dragonskin Robe? I'm afaraid not. And Skyrim modding licence will never allow that, since after all the mods are to promote Skyrim not AR.

A good thing is that you can use Skyrim's resources and engine to put together a map of the City relatively quickly. Then you hit the wall.

I'm curious were there any other AR creation attempts?

You're absolutely correct about the Skyrim limitations. It was never designed to allow for creation of a totally different game. This may be why he stopped working on it.

Minecraft is a much better fit. The day/night cycles and weather changes in MInecraft are very reminiscent of AR. The 'blocky' graphics also seem to fit nicely (IMO). Also, the fact that MInecraft is designed from the ground up to be 'moddable' makes it possible to do virtually anything you want with the game. Potions, spells, NPC's, quests... whatever you want to do is very easy if you can code in Java. I'm pretty addicted to it. :) The last time I spent this much time modding a game was with the old 'Dink Smallwood' game. That one was a blast too. Dink was interesting in that it was done with a modified C language that the author developed himself and labelled 'Dink C'. If you have never checked out Dink, definitely look it up. It's a lot of fun! It's a free DL these days (I believe).

The Minecraft version seems much better and deeper (although the graphics is Minecraft - I'm not saying better or worse, just Minecraft style). You seem to have done something the Skyrim guy couldn't, namely you coded much of the functionality. How about the encounters? I'm not a big Minecraft fan, but isn't it the the encounters in Minecraft take place only at night?

Just to keep everyone posted, I've already started working on the models. I'll probably release a new version once I have some textured models deployed in Unity, so people can comment if this feels like AR. If yes, great. If no, we will redo it. Give me a week or so.

Here is a WIP of one of the buildings:

preview01_zps3271550a.png

Well I don't think my Minecraft implementation can really be compared to a total 'redo' because mine was never meant to replace the game. MC already has (IMO) a feel like the original 8-bit AR. The weather and day/night cycles especially. The 'blocky' graphics are reminiscent of the old 8-bit graphics from the 80's so that fits as well (in a nostalgic sort of way).

The encounters in MC can happen any time, day or night, however 'night creatures' such as 'undead' will only be active at night (of course) and they will generally perish in direct sunlight. I may code a couple of classic AR enemies into my MC mod. I was considering the Small Green Dragon and The Devourer just for fun.

Your new wire frame building looks good. Looks like it would make a good inn! :)

• 3 weeks later...

That is a nice job.

I was thinking of doing the same thing but you've got the jump on me. Although I wasn't going to go as far as doing a full remake.

How close are you modelling the original city though? My approach was going to do it as close as possible to the original layout but replacing most of the bare walls with buildings. What about some of the hidden areas?

@ Tickled_Pink: I'm not planning to be exact with positioning the models vs. the original game. I mean my plan is to be as close to the original as possible (it has to be instantly recognizable as AR and feel like AR), but it's the enirely different gaming platform compared to the 8bit Atari from the 80s. If we try to copy the original too closely, I think the result wouldn't be correct.

As to the models and the overall 'look' of the City, I believe the current concept art images are too bright and 'warm'. The City was rather cold. I'm evaluating a more rough version of the models and adding more blue color. I can always prepare both versions and ask the fans for opinions/vote.

No idea as to the hidden areas yet. Although I think they need to be incorporqated in some way (secret passages maybe), as they were an integral part of AR.

This is quite a significant amount of work. If you had some AR remake ideas/thoughts, you're more than welcome to join/help, if you wish. In any department.

@ Jim Norris: To be honest music is not one of my strengths. I tried to compose online, never came up with acceptable quality. My plan is to (of course) re-compose AR music and probably add some additional music themes. But again it has to feel like AR. If I find someone willing to contribute, great. If not, I will need to do it on my own and it will be a matter of trial and error.

One other important piece of the AR remake, which I'd like to do is to add a storyline. Something, which Philip Price had in mind, but what was virtually impossible back then. The storyline as per Philip Price with aliens, matrix, Acrinimiril, discovering the AR truth, a choice what to do next etc.

Edited by SilverAR