IGNORED

Well 100 bucks got me TWO days of Atari computer.....

Sargnickfury

Having grown up on a 400, and a 800 XL. I had missed them, my dad got rid of them a long time ago, albeit in his defense I gave him permission when I had my 286 and couldn't imagine going "back". So I was really excited for a couple of days after I got an Atari XE GS.....then it started. I'm minding my own business playing some centipede, when I start getting bizarre garbage on the screen, and then it locked up. Carefully turned it off, and checked cartridge contacts etc...Turn it back on immediate garbage...

Turned it off and checked everything I could think turn power on again..except it didn't come on. Light is dead, and no sound.

Thoughts? I am not even sure if it is power supply or computer....Anyone sell new power supplies for the 8-bit atari home computers?

Atari XEGS Can sometime have some weak soldering on the mainboard itself, maybe there is a cracked soldering connection on the board , Or the XEGS is also know for having som problem with the memory chips,

so the computer can show garbage on screen or other symptoms if the memory chips is going bad. If your looking for a power supply maybe http://www.myatari.com/ can help you, they even have a Atari Repair

service in the USA.

Having grown up on a 400, and a 800 XL. I had missed them, my dad got rid of them a long time ago, albeit in his defense I gave him permission when I had my 286 and couldn't imagine going "back". So I was really excited for a couple of days after I got an Atari XE GS.....then it started. I'm minding my own business playing some centipede, when I start getting bizarre garbage on the screen, and then it locked up. Carefully turned it off, and checked cartridge contacts etc...Turn it back on immediate garbage...

Turned it off and checked everything I could think turn power on again..except it didn't come on. Light is dead, and no sound.

Thoughts? I am not even sure if it is power supply or computer....Anyone sell new power supplies for the 8-bit atari home computers?

Just don't give up. The parts you need are not hard to find, but you might have to wait a bit. You will enjoy getting back into Atari 8-bits. Might try holding down OPTION or SELECT with no carts in to see what happens. Hell, I don't know what I'm talking about.

Someone else suggests where to get a new power supply on ebay. You can also get them at B&C or Best Atari, probably Google those.

heres some info about power supplies.

Atari#: C061982 (nicknames: "Ingot" or "Ugly Klunker")

"Power Supply"

UL Listed: 94H6, Made in Taiwan

Type: DV-512CM

Input: 120V AC 60Hz 40W

Output: +5V DC 1.5A

Shipped with: 600XL(most),800XL(most),65XE(early),130XE(early)

Works/NOT recommended for: 600XL,800XL,65XE,130XE,XE Game System

NOTE: This unit is known for its ability to fail in such a way that it can

damage your computer. While the 600XL/800XL are somewhat immune,

the XE computers are particularly vulnerable to such damage.

http://mcurrent.name...61982-Ingot.jpg

and...

C061982 'The White Brick' (Upper left) 1.5A very reliable, rare

C061982 'The Black Brick' (Lower Left) 1.5A very reliable, rare

C061982 'The Ingot' (Center Top) 1.5A if this PS fails it can damage the computer. Not recommended for unattended operations

C061982 'The Box' (Top Right) 1.5A very reliable, recommended for XL/XE computers

C70042-011 'The Mini' (Bottom Center) 1A shipped with most XEGS systems, use the 'Logo' for continuous 1A operations

C70042-01 'The Logo' (Bottom Right) 1A very reliable

and the picture...

post-21816-0-09945200-1375498009_thumb.jpg

Edited by russg
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing. I never knew there were so many different XL/XE power supplies. The only two I knew about were 'The Ingot' and 'The Box', I did find a thoroughly fried Ingot in a thrift store years ago. Fortunately, it no longer had power output, but did heat up like a toaster oven when plugged in! As I recall, they were made of solid epoxy so than nothing could be done to fix them ever, a horrible design. I do still have one that works but I'm thinking it should be kept in a box rather than used for any length of time. This info and picture are going into my reference file. :)

I would like to own a 'white brick' version, purely for collector's appeal.

Since you said there's no red light when you turn it on, it could be the power supply, but probably something internal. You can test your PS.

Be careful not to short it.

post-21816-0-43489600-1375538017.jpg

Edited by russg