http://youtu.be/iujiCuAyu48

Here is Part 2 for Gamecube collectors looking to find more Hidden Gems for their library! Click here for Part 1

Games shown:

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

Killer7

Geist

Ikaruga

Skies of Arcadia Legends

Capcom vs SNK 2 EO

Gameboy Player

I'm desperately trying to find a copy of Gotcha Force for Part 3...but man, is that game hard to find for a reasonable price!

http://youtu.be/iujiCuAyu48

Here is Part 2 for Gamecube collectors looking to find more Hidden Gems for their library! Click here for Part 1

Games shown:

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

Killer7

Geist

Ikaruga

Skies of Arcadia Legends

Capcom vs SNK 2 EO

Gameboy Player

I'm desperately trying to find a copy of Gotcha Force for Part 3...but man, is that game hard to find for a reasonable price!

how much is it going for?

Edited by BadHornet

I was in a used gaming shop today and saw both Baten Kaitos and PN03. I looked at the back of the Baten Kaitos and considered it, but passed. I have no idea what PN03 is even about, but they had it. Perhaps I'll look up some vids on YouTube.

(I ended up getting Metal Slug 7 and Suikoden for the DS.)

Great to see part 2 up this morning! I watched part 1 a couple of days ago and really enjoyed it. Thanks MJ!

We've been giving our GameCube some love of late, playing quite a bit of Pikmin. I need to break Rogue Leader (I think II is the version I have?) also. Love that game, though I'm stuck on a mission.

I do love your vids, Metal Jesus. Though my tastes run fairly differently, I love the enthusiasm and friendliness you have towards the whole hobby. Also, I'm jealous of your X-Arcade Mame cab. :)

I am seeking out Capcom Vs SNK 2 EO after watching this, appreciate the effort you put in!

Oh and a silly suggestion... for Pt 3 maybe. Pac-Man World Rally. It came out for $30 brand new, never got any hype at all, but yet is a respectable Mario Kart clone if there ever was one, IMO. Progressive scan, looks great...some interesting play mechanics, good track design...and the ability to play as the Prince from Katamari Damacy (and there's a Katamari track). Also, as one of the weapons, the Galaga double ships. :) This can be found for circa $10, I highly recommend it. It is one of the very few GC games I own.

Considering that I never went looking for obscure GameCube titles, it's honestly a bit bizarre how so much of my relatively small library is mentioned in MJ's Hidden Gem videos/threads. I only have 20 games (plus 3 imports), but 5 of them already have mentions in a video and another 2 in the discussions. I have a Game Boy Player, too.

I wouldn't say MGS: The Twin Snakes is a hidden gem, though, given that it achieved Player's Choice status. Incidentally, my copy is signed by the director of the cutscenes, film director Ryuhei Kitamura.

I'd also like to note that Baten Kaitos (which I think is pronounced with a "bah" first syllable; it's Arabic) has some of the worst English dubbing I've ever heard from a major publisher. Several characters sound like they're just being forced to read out loud. Also of note, Toys 'R Us had an exclusive edition that included an abridged soundtrack CD. Does Toys 'R Us even do exclusives like that with video games anymore?

Regarding Teen Titans, the packaging says "THQ," but the in-game logos have Majesco's instead of THQ's. This is because Majesco produced the game but sold it to THQ before publishing, in the wake of Majesco's massive losses from titles like Advent Rising. Thus, THQ only has their name on the box.

onmode-ky

I'd also like to note that Baten Kaitos (which I think is pronounced with a "bah" first syllable; it's Arabic)

Thanks for that, I've always wondered how it's pronounced. I have the second game (Origins) but not the first. I need to pick it up some time.

After watching both vids I hooked my GC up yesterday and got into a little Wind Waker action. My daughter, who's 3, plopped down next to me and just watched with occasional color commentary.

I definitely need to check out Kirby's Air Ride as its control simplicity would be good for my kid as she likes racing games and the open world mode would be fun so she's not getting reminded that she's "going the wrong way" like in Mario Kart Wii.

As for some of the game choices- Twin Snakes didn't really grab me as the original be wise the MGS2 engine "broke" the game balance. For example, the fight with Revolver Ocelot is dead easy as you can switch to first person and easily blast him.

Here's a question though: would Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess be considered a "hidden gem"? I know it has the big name pedigree but with the Wii version stealing the thunder and the GC essentially dying on the shelves, I'm not sure how many people actually played it. Thoughts?

After watching both vids I hooked my GC up yesterday and got into a little Wind Waker action. My daughter, who's 3, plopped down next to me and just watched with occasional color commentary.

I definitely need to check out Kirby's Air Ride as its control simplicity would be good for my kid as she likes racing games and the open world mode would be fun so she's not getting reminded that she's "going the wrong way" like in Mario Kart Wii.

As for some of the game choices- Twin Snakes didn't really grab me as the original be wise the MGS2 engine "broke" the game balance. For example, the fight with Revolver Ocelot is dead easy as you can switch to first person and easily blast him.

Here's a question though: would Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess be considered a "hidden gem"? I know it has the big name pedigree but with the Wii version stealing the thunder and the GC essentially dying on the shelves, I'm not sure how many people actually played it. Thoughts?

I played Twilight Princess on GCN and loved it. I'm still disappointed that I sold that disc. At least I kept my original Wind Waker. One of these days I'll have to pick up another Twilight Princess.

I played Twilight Princess on GCN and loved it. I'm still disappointed that I sold that disc. At least I kept my original Wind Waker. One of these days I'll have to pick up another Twilight Princess.

It sounds like they are redoing some of the games in HD for the Wii U and I believe Wind Waker was one of the first. I think Twilight Princess would be another.

Hopefully this is a sign that more HD remakes from the GCN/Wii era are going to follow but they've never said anything on the subject that I've seen.

Twilight Princess would make for a fine remake. Skyward Sword would be nice as well but I think its reliance on motion controls probably eliminates it from the running. I don't see even Nintendo ever releasing a Wii U release that actually requires that Wii controllers be utilized and motion control seems too ingrained in Skyward Sword for it to be eliminated or left as merely an option when played with a Wiimote and nunchuck.

How ironic that it's retained on a Nintendo console.

BMX XXX was the same situation - uncensored on GC & Xbox, but PS2 covered up the boobies.

I'd pick a cross-platform title that didn't get a lot of press, but it was on Gamecube and rocked: Gladius, a turn-based, fantasy-themed strategy game.

glad_screen003.jpg

gc-004.jpg

Edited by BydoEmpire

No way is Ikaruga a "hidden" gem; EVERYONE knew about that game. Plus it's available on at least 3 different systems, last I heard.

Not really. The Dreamcast edition was never released in America, the arcade cabinet didn't come here, and even the Gamecube version was under the radar and more difficult to find in the wild.