IGNORED

You Tube Video: The Black & White era

almightytodd

Nice job on the vid. :) Although if I was to nitpick it would be that the Night Driver section doesn't have the car overlay... And on that note it's not anything to do with the content at all, but it's too bad it's so hard today to get more video of the games running on their real cabinets, which was half of the presentation of them many times. e.g. Atari Basketball' cardboard bezel looks like a crowd watching the game, which while it isn't a whole lot, does add "something". :) But again it's not your fault.. it's just those are pretty much ancient relics at this point and having access to them isn't exactly easy. So, MAME it has to be.

Thanks, I enjoyed watching the video. it's good to see the black and whites getting some attention I really like them and they have been the focus of my collection for quite some time. I think I'm up to 26 or so now. Here's a few of mine, hope you don't mind me posting them in your thread

PhotoOct1780204AM.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

dragrace.jpg

SDC15011.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've noticed that most video game histories seem to jump from Computer Space and Pong, right to Pac Man, Donkey Kong, and vector games such as Asteroids and Battle Zone. There are about eight years of black & white coin-op games that get skipped over. I made the following video to recall many of the B&W games I played as a teenager in the 1970's, and to share these games with a younger generation that may be unaware that they ever existed...

http://youtu.be/1oONH3QeWpg

I just watched the video, and I am SO glad you dropped a mention in for the B&W Vector games(especially Lunar Lander, since I have one). I'm not sure if I should smile, or cry, in that I remember most of the games you showed. In any case, a well done video.

Thanks, I enjoyed watching the video. it's good to see the black and whites getting some attention I really like them and they have been the focus of my collection for quite some time. I think I'm up to 26 or so now. Here's a few of mine, hope you don't mind me posting them in your thread

That's an awesome collection! Pretty amazing that you've managed to keep them in working order after all these years.

• 4 weeks later...

The black and white games have been responsible for often pulling me off course with my little arcade collection. I wanted to stick with the games I loved as a kid: Pac-Man, Galaga, etc. But, if I had the money and space to do it, I would gladly have a section set up just for the old black and white games. I guess maybe it's because I didn't get to play these games (except Space Invaders) that they have drawn my attention now.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I've noticed that most video game histories seem to jump from Computer Space and Pong, right to Pac Man, Donkey Kong, and vector games such as Asteroids and Battle Zone. There are about eight years of black & white coin-op games that get skipped over. I made the following video to recall many of the B&W games I played as a teenager in the 1970's, and to share these games with a younger generation that may be unaware that they ever existed...

http://youtu.be/1oONH3QeWpg

Really cool video... nice pace and flow to it, plus it's informative. My only nit: the background music was a bit distracting, and could probably afford to be knocked down a few dB.

I too enjoyed it. Agree on the background music. I think you could spend a little more time on each game - but it was a reasonable run through.

One thing - these games were often DIFFICULT. Mastering them wasn't an option really, they just kicked your butt all over. Which toom nothing away from how much fun they were.

I took your advice and re-did the audio with the background music more in "the background". I deleted the 2013 version, but by doing so I've broken the link at the start of this topic. I just need to see if I remember how to embed a YouTube link into a post...