IGNORED

ALLEIN

Der Luchs

Something,i really hate is,if someone posts a Video,shows,what he has,but does not release a demo to check it out.

I am never interested in this Videos,i want to see a demo to Play on the Lynx :)

Not sure if you are referring to the videos that Ninjabba and myself released on our work in progress. While I cannot speak for Ninjabba (although I did meet up with him last week. Great fun, BTW), I can tell you my reasons for releasing a video and not sharing a demo/rom file.

First of all, it is work in progress, and that means that the features are not complete and that playability is potentially low because of bugs, missing stuff and implementation shortcuts. Getting incomplete things out into the public sometimes backfires when people (if only a few) are not able to look beyond these imperfections at a particular point in time.

Second, I think it is a gesture to the community to show what you are doing. It keeps the community alive, and lowers the amount of secrecy. Myself, I have been mentioning my "project" several times, without any specifics. It felt like a teaser or maybe even vapor comments, until the time I could share more details.

Pictures are static and can be mockups. A video tells more than a thousand pictures (at least in this case).

Yes, people get sidetracked and life might get in the way. Or the vibe doesn't feel right and you move on to other stuff. For example, I also posted a Pitfall! video. There was a great discussion on copyrights and I decided to put it in the refrigerator for a later time. Not gone, just postponed. So, whenever something is shown, there is no guarantee until a completed game/demo is released. But I can tell you this: great feedback and supportive reactions are a big motivation to continue. Building your game or demo in silence does not get you that.

My two cents.

• Like 1

Something,i really hate is,if someone posts a Video,shows,what he has,but does not release a demo to check it out.

I understand the frustration.. it feels like holding candy in front of a kid without ever giving it and I am aware of this, but like LX pointed out, there is little fun from the pov. of the developer to release a bug-ridden demo. I also think it totally depends on the type of game you're trying to release; if its a platformer, its easy to give people a good impression of the game with a single small level. A demo of an arcade game would work out too.

But an early build of an RPG would never work since you'll have to invest some time playing the game to get somewhere, and with the next build you would start from scratch again; a total fun killer. Luckily I can say I'm still working on the game with a lot of pleasure, so all I can ask is to be patient with me :)

Sorry, on topic. Great stuff you picked up programming! What toolchain are you using?

Now its only natural that you will include the most amazing soundtrack to your game that will outdo anything else out there, including those other projects you've been working on ;)

Hi Guys

i did not want to attack anyone.My opinion is,that it would be better to post early Demos.I am sure,people would like it,even if a game crashes.And it could help to find early bugs.

Sorry,if someone misunderstood this....

A Video just Shows a film and gives no gamefeeling,like a Little playable demo

greetings Walter

There's another important point on demos - some times the author might intend on making money off a game they are developing. Something like Hack Slash Loot, and some of the other games posted recently (The frogger clone for example) will likely be a commercial cart and there are some times other copyright holders to talk to etc before anything can be released. Some times it doesnt even make sense to release a demo version as some people are happy to play the first few levels over and over rather than buy the full game - depends on the game. Additionally, in those instances a demo version usually follows afterwards where certain features (levels, sound etc) can be removed and the demo is pretty much bug free by that stage. The other obvious one is the type of the game, for example an RPG is pretty hard to release demos for unless you've finished some content worth playing and it's often the content that comes last in any RPG engine.

• 2 weeks later...

No Allein is a German word , what means alone.

Hey guys pls stay cool. At the.moment Allein is in a very early version. Der Luchs has some ideas and we are testing some of them. Like the fighting system or how.you can scroll.the text bla bla.

So there is no gameplayer or storyboard at this stadium.

Sorry for my english im better in german language :)

@ high voltage: No Kylie, sorry ^^

Thus, the storyline is for the demo is finished!

Now comes only fine tuning, spell check, and then the paperwork is done!

Remaining To Do list:

- More Graphics

- Music and SFX

- Elaboration of the combat system

But what I can ever anticipate: For a demo, the part will be pretty long: D

i early show some demo-stuff from Lynxopoly as it was in Alpha Stadium, where the gfx was not final and in many databases you can still found the Alpha-Pix used for the released one.

I give actual artwork to the platformes, but they are not interested in do some work in correct the pics.

When i show pics from a new game, they are mock-ups or final pics.

I will never show early pics or demos somewhere - nogo.

You cannot get out the shit from the net if someone posts this in other platforms.

Regards

Matthias