IGNORED

Problem /w Atari's Greatest Hits for iOS

bedouin

Not sure if emulation is the best place for this post, but I'll ask anyway.

I've had the Greatest Hits app since it was released, and bought the entire library at the same time. At some point, the games refused to download with an 'incorrect data size' error and advises to try another connection; when I do it makes no difference.

I sent a support ticket to Atari but, as I somewhat expected, no answer. I've found others have this problem too, but no one has a solution.

Any ideas? It's behaving this way on both my iPad and iPhone.

Typically, the error is what it says it is... it's not getting the file it asked for from the Internet. The cause is that a service such as Verizon (I believe) is downsampling the images for the manuals, the controls, etc. The download checks the signature and size of the file to make sure it's the file it expects. Because of the ISP altering the data, the game is not getting the images it expects, and so you get this error. Another cause of this error can be parental filters in your router. It seems the background in Asteroids Deluxe is a little too skin-tone.

So, that's the reason for the recommendation you use a different connection. So, if you were downloading via cellular, try Wifi (and turn *off* cellular data so it's not sneaking the data through the cell connection for some obscure reason). If you were using Wifi, try a different access point that is served by a different ISP, not just another access point with the same company.

Thanks. We can't talk about what isn't out (and in some cases, haven't been allowed to talk about some things that are out :)), but we're always talking to owners of the classics.

As to Activision Anthology, Activision let us have our way with that one, by and large. I'm happy with how it turned out, though I'd much like the opportunity to upgrade it to iPhone 5 native resolution, to get the controls off to the side if nothing else.

If you haven't seen it, we also did Lost Treasures of Infocom on iOS, which I'm also pretty happy with.