IGNORED

Atari Program Development Books

Since morelenmir has a sticky for providing Windows-users with tools to help developers create their masterpiece for us Atari users I thought it might be sort of nice if, along with it, those same developers, be they beginners or experts, have access to all the documentation known to exist to help them out. I agree that nothing is better than having the actual book in front of your eyes while programming (or learning to) but, in some cases, those books are difficult to come across.

With that being said, I would to offer a possible sticky that builds upon the development software morelenmir has started. Download those tools or use a REAL Atari...then come to this thread to find the books that will take you on an adventure in getting your feet wet. That is the intentions of this post.

ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE

Assembly Language Programming for the Atari Computers (PDF) - Source: Atari Mania (www.atarimania.com)

Atari 130XE Machine Language for the Absolute Beginner (PDF) - Source: Atari Mania (www.atarimania.com)

De Re Atari (PDF) - Source: Atari Mania (www.atarimania.com)

Mapping The Atari Revised Edition (PDF) - Source: Atari Mania (www.atarimania.com)

Machine Language for Beginners (PDF) - Source: Atari Mania (www.atarimania.com)

BASIC LANGUAGE

Atari BASIC (PDF) - Source: Atari Mania (www.atarimania.com)

Atari BASIC XL Edition (PDF) - Source: Atari Mania (www.atarimania.com)

As long as AtariAge Mods will allow edits to be made to this post I will add to the list once I finish reviewing a few other books I have. The PDF's will open up to another TAB in your browser and, once fully loaded, can be saved to your computer for future reference. I hope that this helps others wanting to learn, or improve, their programming skills and techniques.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We all know that Hofacker was a teacher for millions!

As I can explain he said that if you are not try to program, your ideas will not be programed at all!

I'd really like to see the taiste of his book.

Just to read. Just to compare. Just to learn.

• 2 weeks later...

I found that the rare HOFACKER books is too OLD to more modern machines.

Some of his operations will not work on 130XE etc without HACKERS.

But I think that the way of his thinking and the way of how his buddies wrotes the books is very very interesting itself!

We all know that Norton's book is very convenient to reed.

And Hofackers too!

They both tried to SAY us something because the info itself is no more then 1 and 0 in good places.

• 5 months later...

I am a beginner and i am in a search of a clear, and detailed book of programming 6502. And i am focusing on an Programming the 6502 by Radnay Zaks (4th edition) 1983. I've looked through most of the old Atari programming books including 6502 and most of them mixed information with BASIC or too simple and very thin. This book is stuffed with many real code snippets with explanation.

• 1 month later...

Well,

have you looked at atarimania ? They have more than 100 A8 books available as PDF, including the one you are searching for in german and english language:

http://www.atarimania.com/documents-atari-400-800-xl-xe-books_1_8.html

or direct link (english book): http://www.atarimania.com/documents/Programming_the_6502.pdf

And some more books by Rodney Zaks (6502 Applications, Advanced 6502 Programming, etc.)

@Madi @576XE: The book "Program descriptions for Hofacker Software" is also there:

http://www.atarimania.com/documents/Hofacker_Software_Program_Descriptions.pdf

Edited by CharlieChaplin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I decided that I had put off Assembly programming long enough and wanted to start with something that focuses on the language and not the tools. For that reason, I picked the Atari 130XE machine language for the Absolute Beginner. Part of the reason for choosing this book was because it included a type-in basic program for entering short ML programs (ALPA.BAS) and a basic disassembler tool (HEXPERT.BAS) as well. The problem I'm having is that even after going over the ALPA (Assembly Language Programming Aid) program line by line (multiple times) I still can't get it working right, and I'm starting to believe it never did.

Did anyone here cut their Assembly Language teeth on this book, and if so, did you use the included tool or just use the Atari Assembler/Editor or MAC65? The reason I wanted to use the included tool was I wanted the experience of approaching this as if I just got the book and was using it as intended. I'm trying to recapture some of the feeling of discovery and breaking new ground that I felt BITD. Can anyone tell me if this plate of spaghetti code ever worked?

• Like 3

upload what you did,

the more industrious folks might perform a compare of that vs what's in the book. perhaps a insert fell out of the book with some corrections. Might be like a lot of books where the do something for one OS and never update it for a later OS as well... or written for a basic rev that was replaced later as well.

:)

After digging around some more I'm making progress. The original problem may have been a bit of P.E.B.K.A.C. and R,T.F.M. I mean, i was reading the fine manual, but apparently skimming a bit too much.

Having got the editor to work by tabbing when I was supposed to, I can now enter code and ASM it, but I don't dare run the results of the assembly. I know enough about 6502 assembly code to know the output is garbage.

Oh well, pressing on.

Is there any point to uploading the program once I get it working, as a companion to the book?

I found the last bug (really?). It was caused by that powerful encryption algorithm that Adobe Acrobat calls OCR. It was changing all the D's to O's and vice versa. You should have seen what it did to the number 0, but that was so obvious it was fixed on the spot.

Never trust a cut and paste from Acrobat into Altirra!

When I have some time to go over the Hexpert program I'll upload the pair as an ATR if there's any interest.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I found the last bug (really?). It was caused by that powerful encryption algorithm that Adobe Acrobat calls OCR. It was changing all the D's to O's and vice versa. You should have seen what it did to the number 0, but that was so obvious it was fixed on the spot.

Never trust a cut and paste from Acrobat into Altirra!

When I have some time to go over the Hexpert program I'll upload the pair as an ATR if there's any interest.

didja?

didja?

To be honest, you're the first person that showed any interest. I thought I might be embarrassing myself offering to debug some crappy book program that everybody already had on a disk somewhere. Especially if so many better tools are to be had for the asking.

If you think it may be worthwhile, I'll find them and upload them.

Because these are the building blocks, and you had already started the journey. Simple but effective tools are often the best in a pinch. You've done the work, might as well post it. There is no embarrassment, lots of stuff is being dug up and typed in, fixed and placed into preservation. The original and the fixed reside side by side. This is one of the joys of retro-computing !

Very glad to see it.

Edited by _The Doctor__

OK, as promised, these are the companion programs for the book "Atari 130xe Machine Language for the Absolute Beginner". The one program called ALPA stands for Assembly Language Programming Assistant, and the other called Hexpert is a sort of dis-assembler.

ALPA_Hexpert.ATR

Edited by Geister
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 11:54 PM, 2600problems said:

I looked up and all around me were dead soldiers. the night sky was a blocky red. then it all went dark. I am trapped inside the damned machine.

"is it this button?"

"Don't touch it, you'll erase everything"

"let's see, Ctrl+up. NEW

"NOO!"

How I imagine Rick and Morty trying to program an 800

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A book that helped me realize that the LOGO programming language was more then just turtle graphics.  This is a good book to read as far as programming goes, whether you are interested in LOGO or not.  Unfortunately I don't think there is a free PDF version of it. (This book is based around Atari LOGO).

Advanced LOGO: A Language for Learning

On a related subject, a more modern version of LOGO is available, as well as the excellent Computer Science Logo Style books from the University of California, Berkley.

UCB LOGO

• Like 2