IGNORED

video game competitions on YCDTOTV?

S1500

Interesting history about YCDTOTV. Apparently in its early days(before Nickelodeon picked it up), there were televised video game competitions.

In January 1981, production on YCDTOTV resumed, and a new batch of episodes aired locally on CJOH through May of that year. The format of the 1981 episodes as aired on CJOH was similar to that of the inaugural 1979 season, with the differences being that each show featured skits revolving around a certain topic (something that carried over from Whatever Turns You On) and that the disco dancers were replaced by video game competitions. The season proper ended in May, but cast members were asked to come back in May and June 1981 to film some additional scenes for the syndicated version of the show (including re-writes or re-shoots of already-filmed sketches to filter out Ottawa-centric or Canada-centric content). At the time the season ended, it was uncertain whether the show would continue. In the meantime, some YCDTOTV cast members continued to hone their on-camera skills through appearances in Bear Rapids, a Price/Darby pilot film that was never picked up, and Something Else, a local game show on CJOH with a format somewhat similar to the live and local episodes ofYCDTOTV.

I'm curious about this.

I don't know anything about video game competitions, but that was one of my favorite shows as a kid, when they showed it on Nickelodeon.

Oh yeah, same for me! I don't recall ever seeing any game competitions on that show either. In fact, the only real things I remember from that show are the water (when someone would say water), the green slime (when someone would say "I don't know"), and Barth saying "IIIIIIII heard that!" when someone would complain about the burgers. Holy crap that was a long time ago!!!