IGNORED

Love or no Love for handheld systems.

Seob

Why is collecting handheld games so great?

Collecting handheld games was always a small part of my collection. Never was really interested in collecting these small gaming on the go devices.

Sure I had a Nintendo Gamboy Color that I used arround 2000 to play games on vacation and during work breaks. I rebought a Sega Game Gear, because I used to have one in 1994 and stuppily sold to buy a electric gitar that I never could play.

And more resent I bought a Sony PSP, so I could play some games on vaction and spend more time down on the couch with my wife. She loves watching tv series, I don't.

I never felt the urge to play long on these consoles, while I had a dozen or so systems that I could hookup to my big tv and play games relaxed on the couch. But recently I began to give these handheld system a closer look and started to fall in love with them. Why? Let me explain.

It's a combination of things that started me to overthink my previos hasitation towards handheld gaming.

First of, time. Since I don't have the room to have a lot of systems hookup to multiple tv's or just 1 tv, I need to store my home consoles into bins. This means that I have to pick a bin, setup the console and hook it all up, and rebin it every time I want to play a game. Having kids, time is getting scarces , so I don't have the time to put up a system every time I have a few minute to play a game.

Welcome handheld gaming. No need to setup a system. Just grap a handheld, slap in a few batteries plug in a game and off you go.

So now, if I have a few minutes spare time, I just pull out a handheld and I can play almost instantly. And storing is also a mather of a couple of seconds.

Second, space. I don't have a lot of space. I wish I would have my own gameroom, but we don't have the space to have a room specially for a hobby. So I need to share the attic with my wife and kids.

Ever noticed the size of a original Xbox? Do you know you can store a original Atari Lynx (the first model), a Sega Game Gear, a Nintendo Game Boy Micro, a Mega Duck, a Supervision, a Neo Geo Pocket Color, a MicroVision, a original Nintendo Game Boy and 2 Nintendo Advanced SP's in the same place that would be occupied by a single Xbox.

Sure I stacked them all up without protection between them, but you get the point. Handheld consoles don't take up a lot of space.

And of course, loose handheld gamecartridges take a lot less space to store compared to a Neo Geo AES cartridge. Oke, the AES is ofcourse a league on it's own, but even a small Atari 2600 cartridge needs more space.

Collecting boxes is a bit different. Compared to a CD/DVD case a boxed handheld game needs more space, but compared to boxes cartridgegames for homeconsole they need less space.

Third, money. Usually games for homeconsoles cost a bit more compared to handheld games. Why? Maybe because people sometimes have multiple handheld systems for they're kids? A Nintendo DS for every kid, while at home they would have only one homeconsole. Maybe because people collecting mainly focus on homeconsoles, driving prices up for those systems. Less demand usually means cheaper. I don't really don't know, but it's a fact that I appreciate .

So it's all hallelujah for handheld gaming?, No.

A lot of older systems have screens that really show the age of the system.

A working MicroVision, rapidly is becoming rare, because of screenrot damaging the screen.

Ghosting also is a issue that a lot of early handheld consoles feature. Sometimes to a point that a game is impossible to play.

Having good light also is a must for those early non lit screens. Don't you even think about playing you're original Nintendo Game Boy in a dim lit room.

Ergonomics also is a point to consider. Me, having big hands, makes it for me unconfortable to play very long on small systems. I prefer systems like the Atari Lynx, Sega Game Gear or the Neo Geo Pocket, because of the horizontal layout they use. Vertical systems like the original Nintendo Game Boy are to compact for me to play for long. Don't even start on the Nintendo Game Boy Micro. That's a system designed for babyhands.

Most Nintendo releated Game Boy problems can be adressed using a Game Boy Player for the Nintendo GameCube. Big screen, nice controller, play those old Game Boy games in the dark.

And since the GameCube isn't using a lot of space, you still have room for some handheld to store.

• Like 1

I have always loved handheld systems. That started in the late 70s with electronic games and the Microvision. Sure, gaming was better on the big hardware, but back then my consoles had to be shared with family TV viewing. It wasn't until 1983 that I had a dedicated TV to use with consoles.

Fast forward to college and my 20s. I moved between apartments and houses too often to even have a chance to set up consoles. There were many years I didn't have a TV at all. The Game Gear was awesome throughout some of those years because it also allowed me to play my SMS games.

Basically, I've always had a thing for portable systems. There's something awesome about the experience, something more personal that isn't always experienced with a stationary console. If I could only have portable gaming I would still be happy, but fortunately I no longer have to choose ;-)

I'm gonna go with 'not much love'.

Handhelds represent too many compromises for me to have ever really gotten into them. And I've had just about all of them throughout the years. If I was into modern gaming at all, I guess the 3DSXL or a Sony product would be cool. But since their advent, stuff like the Game Gear, Lynx and TurboExpress failed to impress for very long. Between short battery lives, small screens, blurry motion, washed out pictures, "special" versions of games, scaled down games, cramped hands, poorly designed thumbpads, non-backlit screens, screens that scratch too easy, no TV output option, overpriced systems/games... yeah, way too many negatives right there for me. Don't think I'll ever care for portable gaming honestly. :(

Kinda/sorta thought the Neo*Geo X was going to be worth a hoot, but nope. Emulation falls short, goofy screen aspect ratio, poor built-in library choices, even poorer SD card releases - pffft. No thanks! The new controllers are great though!

I have a Game Boy, Game Boy Pocket, Game Boy Light, Game Boy Color (frontlight modded), Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP (frontlit), Game Boy micro, Nintendo DS, DSi, 3DS, Pokemon mini, Game Gear, Nomad, Turboexpress, Lynx II, Wonderswan, Wonderswan Color (frontlight modded), Neo Geo Pocket Color (frontlight modded), N-Gage QD, PSP, and Vita.

I love handheld games. It's nice to take a game with you every now and again (due to size/battery concerns only the NGPC, WSC, GBm, PSP, or 3DS ever get carried) but I really like to sit at home and play a handheld game. If it has a lit screen I prefer to play in the dark, with a nice set of headphones and a beer on hand. But since they have their own screens I can have a ball game or something going on the TV to glance at every now and again and I like that. That's also something I like about the WiiU. Also works for when someone else is watching something boring on TV.

I still like to sit down for extended console/PC gaming sessions (I have more consoles than I do handhelds) but I don't always want to dedicate the effort. I have all my systems hooked up through a complicated network of composite/S-video/HDMI switches and surge protectors (plus external sound for most) and it can be a bit of a production to actually get everything on the right channel. It's nice to be able to play any game in my library on any system, though.

For PC gaming the big deterrent is Windows. I have a few gaming rigs (one for more modern games and one for older ones) but I greatly prefer Linux to Windows and usually can't be bothered to boot into the latter OS.

I've been picky about my handhelds. My ideal is:

* Supports emulators

* Uses normal batteries

* Has composite TV out

I've yet to see any handhelds that do all three.

My less than perfect solution for the longest time has been the PSP. The Pandora could've ousted my PSP but they never came out with the promised TV out adapter.

• Like 1

I've been picky about my handhelds. My ideal is:

* Supports emulators

* Uses normal batteries

* Has composite TV out

I've yet to see any handhelds that do all three.

My less than perfect solution for the longest time has been the PSP. The Pandora could've ousted my PSP but they never came out with the promised TV out adapter.

The GP2X F100 and F200 both fit those criteria.

I'm not a fan of emulators but I had an F100 and as far as emu devices go it was good. Mine was stolen and I never bothered to replace it.

I never ever had a handheld.

Around two years before, I got my first smartphone (Motorola Atrix).

Beyond a smartphone, I thought it could be a nice portable game.

I was completely wrong... Touchscreen is awful. :mad: I don't have any desire to play games with touchscreen.

Now I'm about to get a nintendo DS. Not sure what DS I should pick but I'm going mainly for Intellivision Lives and emulation.

I would love to see all previous handhelds emulated but it isn't the case.

I don't care too much to emulate consoles but handhelds emulators should be priority in a more advance handheld, imho.

For now, due to lack of experience, I can't say if I love or don't love handheld. But I hate touchscreen gaming control.

I make no distinction between consoles and handhelds. If the games are good, I will be there. It took me a long time to get interested in the GameBoy line. I had owned a Lynx since '91 and while I saw a few games for the GameBoy that seemed slightly interesting, it wasn't enough to push me towards a purchase. Not until the GBA came out did I start back-collecting the games I wanted like Super Mario Land 2, Metroid 2, Donkey Kong 94, and the Zelda titles. Then I kicked myself for waiting so long.

So yeah, if the games rock then I will buy a system whether it has its own screen or if it plugs into a television.

I've always been a sucker for miniaturization of just about anything (at least until I started needing glasses to see those tiny screens). I generally prefer the gameplay of consoles, but it's great to be able to snap on a handheld and just start playing without fooling around with cords, TVs, etc. I've played the Gamegear a lot, initially mostly for my Master System games. Also the Nomad, and Game Boy SP. I have lots of others I don't play much, but still like to keep in my collection just for funzies. For example, I really appreciate the Game Boy Micro, but it's just too darned small to actually USE...make it three times bigger (and use regular batteries please), and I'd use it instead of the SP.

Over the last couple of years, I've been finding NDS memory cards and picking them up, so I needed something to play them on and bought a NDS XL (with the larger screen), which I LOVE. Although a bit heavier, I really like the bigger screen.

I absolutely love handheld systems. I own a large number of them and use them often. I don't mind the display flaws, as it's all part of the charm of using the system. It's the same reason I enjoy playing on original hardware, the flaws of the system are something I want to experience. For the times I don't care about that part of the experience, I'll turn to emulation.

One thing that I'm a little sad to see is that people tend to only refer to the Game Boy and later, when talking about handheld systems. I'm a huge fan of earlier handhelds as well, including LED games like the Merlin and LCD games such as the G&W series . I just wish some of these games weren't so expensive to pick up nowadays.

• Like 1

I absolutely love handheld systems. I own a large number of them and use them often. I don't mind the display flaws, as it's all part of the charm of using the system. It's the same reason I enjoy playing on original hardware, the flaws of the system are something I want to experience. For the times I don't care about that part of the experience, I'll turn to emulation.

One thing that I'm a little sad to see is that people tend to only refer to the Game Boy and later, when talking about handheld systems. I'm a huge fan of earlier handhelds as well, including LED games like the Merlin and LCD games such as the G&W series . I just wish some of these games weren't so expensive to pick up nowadays.

Very much agreed on all counts. There are many wonderful handhelds beside the Game Boy. Fortunately, some awesome programmers have created a growing number of simulators and emulators. Unfortunately there is nothing I've found for the Microvision.

Emulation and simulation helps keep these from being completely lost, but there's nothing like the real thing when we're talking about the physicality and displays. Like CRT vector graphics, sometimes the reproduction preserves "the gist" of the original experience but can't capture the full effect.

I wish there was some way to repair or replace Microvision screens. I have several that were working perfectly before screen rot took over. It's a great handheld that I would love to play again...

• Like 1

Fortunately, some awesome programmers have created a growing number of simulators and emulators. Unfortunately there is nothing I've found for the Microvision.

There's basic support for the Microvision in MESS. It currently runs Blockbuster, Connect Four, Mindbuster, Star Trek Phaser Strike and Vegas Slots. It's not perfect, but it's something.

Also, there's online simulation for a few of the games here:

http://home.comcast....oSimProject.htm

Edited by goldenegg
  • Like 1

There's basic support for the Microvision in MESS. It currently runs Blockbuster, Connect Four, Mindbuster, Star Trek Phaser Strike and Vegas Slots. It's not perfect, but it's something.

Thanks for the head up, not sure how I missed that news. Yet another reason to upgrade MESS, I've been using the same version for years :D

Back in the days,when I already was deep into the C64 and later Amiga, I regarded the Game Boy as a pure childrens' toy. I wasn't a big fan of any game console at that time, and that changed only recently. The Game Boy has grown on me since I grabbed a GBA SP and some of the better old games. Handhelds will never really be a big thing for me, but I can appreciate their technical novelty - and enjoy some games on the road.

Also: game carts for the classic game boy are cheap as dirt nowadays. I usually find some flea market stand where they are sold for a euro, sometimes even cheaper.

If I had to pick an overall favorite piece of hardware to game on, it'd have to be the Game Boy Micro. It looks and plays great, and is actually small enough to take just about anywhere without any fuss. Well designed, solidly built, and nice large control surfaces too. That system and a retractable usb charging cable is all I plan on taking on my next trip game-wise. With a good flashcart I could easily go a month away from my other systems.

Edited by Reaperman

I also have this strange fascination for handhelds since the 80's. The Super Mario Land Game & Watch really showed me what you could do with a simple lcd screen. Even the sound was nice.

Then, in about 1990 (I was 13 years old), I saw the Atari Lynx and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. At the local computershop I had some 'privileges', so I could play california games once in a while.

At the same period, I discovered the PC-Engine GT at an MSX fair (Zandvoort). Its screen was a bit smaller than the Lynx' but the contrast was better and the resolution was higher. I think there was only one in the Netherlands. There was even a story written about it in an MSX Magazine. That very PC Engine GT at that fair was bought by a friend of mine, who I still meet once in a while, (20 years later) here at local gameshops. We always talk about how cool the PC-Engine LT is, and all kind of geeky stuff (also atari related, coding, etc.).

In the early 2000's, I bought a gameboy-color since its screen looked so cool in the shops (ofcourse they created perfect lighting conditions...). In reality, it was a bit of a pain. Thankfully, Metal Gear was released for it and I instantly bought it. The urge to play the game won from the horrible screen :).

In about 2005 I bought the gameboy micro, which finally had a proper backlit screen. Its a cool little machine and the graphics look high-res since everything is so small. I even played it on holiday this summer.

But it's less suitable for playing gameboy games (through emulation on the super-sd cart), it's just too small. So I bought a gameboy light. Its display is back-lit, so much better than the original, altough there is some blur. But I really enjoy playing Zelda, links awakaning on it.

I recently ordered a gameboy color clone (GB Boy Colour) for about $38, including shipping. I want to play Metal Gear and the gbc Zelda's on this (and ofcourse other gbc games).

Edited by roland p

I'm not a fan of handheld... with some exceptions.

I can't stick on the Game Boy. Sure I have seen some good games on it, but overall, I feel like the games have the bad sides of all the 8 bits era (hard, short, no saves, no passwords) but none of the good sides.

The Game Boy Advance and DS are okay; they are in fact portable home systems and that's nice.

But on the other hand, I like collecting the very obscure outsiders.

Supervision? I have the GB 2000 and the GB 2002 models, boxed. and 29 games for it (of them 20 are crap).

Gamate? I have it, and 4 games.

Mega Duck? Yup.

Game Master? Also in my collection.

I would liek to have one Lynx, for the pleasure of it. First color handheld, first 16 bits handheld, with unique reversible design? Damn I want it.

The main problem I have with Nintendo handheld is that they are too small.

The only nice one to my hands is the first GBA. Yeah, the one with no backlight. Thanks Nintendo.

Love handhelds.

number 1 is Atari Lynx, small library but almost perfect set of games, no duffs really.

two is Nokia N-Gage, again a small library of games with no bad games

three is Nintendo Game Boy Advance SP, plays all GB and GB color and Advance games, great

number four is Tiger game.com, only because everyone hates it

used to own a Sega Nomad, and a NGcolor, both are good but the NGcolor screen sucks (although the controls rock).

Also had a PC Engine GT, but only ever 1 game for it.

Got a microvision, which is fine for historical purposes.

Would love a Epoch Game Pocket Computer and a Palmtex (first color HH), very hard to find though

Edited by high voltage

I don't much care for handhelds for one big reason -- I usually cannot see the screen! I really like RPG games, and reading the text on such a small screen is very difficult for me; I much prefer to play on a big screen.

When the Nintendo 3DS first launched, I tried the demo model in the store (some flight sim game) . With 3D on, it just looked really blurry to my eyes. It was clearer with 3D off, but still nothing really special.

I do not (yet) have a smartphone; persumably I can find one with a screen sufficiently large to allow comfortable gaming.