IGNORED

ATARI 8bit accelerators - Rapidus and F7

lotharek

Please, show Your interest using link at my www :

Drop me mail if You are interested - KLICK ME !

regards

ps. computer is not important - cpu is the most important ( so, xe,xl, others).

Soon will make new form in contact to ask about more deatils.

Edited by lotharek

Hello Lotharek

Maybe it's a stupid question, please forgive me curiosity:

Will both work together? In other words: If you'ld have the Rapidus inside the XL/XE and the F7 connected via the parallel bus, would that be noticeable (preferably in a positive way :D )?

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1

Collector, nothing... :o) They will open up a whole new world of exploration of these machines. Just unfortunate that I can't afford either one at the moment. My 130XE is still totally set up (with a 320M Maxtor hard drive on a Black Box) and ready for it when I can. A practical, available 65816 accelerator is for me a dream finally come true. ^^

I remember reading a thread a few years back about the SuperCPU for Commodore 64. I remember some expressed the opinion that the SuperCPU didn't do much because the majority of their software worked just fine on the stock machine, and indeed was written for stock machines.

But then you'd see demo's of certain software that did run much smoother on the SuperCPU. Anyway, this reminds me of the discussions around Atari accelerators. What's the purpose of it? And the most direct response seems to be that some classic software runs better with the accelerator. I think that's a fair assessment of why Lotharek's page shows Eidolon and Rescue on Fractulus - its the answer to why one should desire the accelerator.

But - I think somewhat like Pakrat, that for the Atari series, it's not about the old, but the "new" - the new world of possibilities - the accelerated CPU really changes the game.

Games like Atari's basketball bypassed Antic and used a kernel - kernels allowed for getting more visuals on the screen, but they were costly in terms of not having much cpu time leftover for game calculations. So you didn't see too many games going this route.

Now, I'm only now writing an assembly program, so I'm not a big expert here, but I'm think with a significantly faster cpu, you could write your kernel and still sneak in much more calculations than would have been available on a stock 6502 - so ultimately new games could be devised - that could outshine the works of the past. :)

I'm having fun without the accelerator, but whew, that accelerator would be nice.

• Like 1

There are some definite benefits with an accelerator. Certainly many Basic programs -- even some compiled ones. Arc and Unarc definitely benefit (of course, they still pale compared to doing it on a modern PC where these operations take place in the blink of an eye). Many games (50%?) work fine, as-is. Some break completely and some run hyper-fast due to their methods of timing. Some games (Gauntlet and Lemmings come to mind) just about bring a 1.79 MHz Atari to its knees. A flexible accelerator would certainly be desirable -- say one that runs at 1.79, 7.16, and 14.32 MHz, for example. But these two accelerators have some nifty features. I'm certainly impressed!

But most of the benefit lies in the "ghost of Christmas yet to come." One of the nicest possibilities would be a really nice GUI system like FJC's. Lots of linear memory would allow some neat stuff. But alas, who will write that real killer application? Will these be akin to the VBXE with great promise but largely not to be realized? Still, we are way better off with them than not.

-Larry

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What would be cool is a 7.16mhz 65C02 with VBXE crammed into an XEGS, and 64K of ram with a CX-78 controller to get that authentic gaming system feel.

Wait, it's ALREADY BEEN DONE

Proof the Atari 8-bit could've have competed with other game systems in the 1989 era - you're welcome :D

Edited by fibrewire

That takes me back, in 1991, I was dirt poor and couldn't afford any gaming system, but some shops would rent the whole system, not just the games. One weekend I rented the TurboGrafx-16 with Bonk's revenge. I remember being very impressed by the graphics.

Anyway, so now I'd like both the accelerator card and for someone to port Bonk's Revenge....plus a full 14 - 20 mhz please, then the TurboGrafx folks will just have to envy.