IGNORED

ATARI 8bit accelerators - Rapidus and F7

lotharek

Please be patient. There are lots of things to be done, before releasing the projects to any kind of production. I'm more focused on Rapidus Accelerator than F7 now. It gives you more features and overall flexibility.

I'm planning to make a one more revision of prototype with some improvments. There is an idea to speed up it a little bit, but I need to test it having a new PCB. Reworking of the existing design may be too difficult.

The only version of VBXE which have been ever tested is 1.1. I have never observed the issues in the compatibility. Newer designs 2.x need to be chcecked (my 2.1 still waiting for installation), but I do not expect the problems here as well.

TXG: Rapidus and F7 cannot work in parallel if think about it. Should be possible to have them in one machine, but just one can operate in the same time.

Not to criticize or anything, but why would anyone want to play Flight Simulator or F15 on an Atari when there are amazing simulators running on modern machines. Flight Simulator on an Atari 8 bit was an overly ambitious project that didn't work. Even if it runs fine with the accelerator the graphics, sound effects and everything else will still be primitive compared to what's available today. If it's nostalgia then those software do just fine with their sloooooow simulation, they genuinely remind us how unplayable they were :)

The only case I see the accelerator would be beneficial is the GUI as it will need all the speed it can get from an enhanced CPU. Then again without people writing software for it this wouldn't go further than being another demo which shows what can be done with upgraded hardware.

I also must add that Rapidus and F7 look pretty cool from purely an hardware upgrade perspective, would I buy one? probably not unless I decide to run GUI on one of my Ataris. As far as collecting goes, I only collect vintage hardware and none of the modern upgrades qualify.

Edited by atari8warez

Not to criticize or anything, but why would anyone want to play Flight Simulator or F15 on an Atari when there are amazing simulators running on modern machines. Flight Simulator on an Atari 8 bit was an overly ambitious project that didn't work. Even if it runs fine with the accelerator the graphics, sound effects and everything else will still be primitive compared to what's available today. If it's nostalgia then those software do just fine with their sloooooow simulation, they genuinely remind us how unplayable they were :)

(raises and shakes his cane)

Couldn't disagree more! I find the 'primitive' graphics and sound effects appealing, even preferable to today's photo-realistic video games with voice actors and full musical scores. Today's consoles provide a slightly interactive movie, not a video game. I can get more immersed in 1979's Star Raiders than anything made today.

A higher frame-rate on my 1200XL would be quite welcome, increasing playability while preserving the 8-bit era's inherent charm.

• Like 1

(raises and shakes his cane)

Couldn't disagree more! I find the 'primitive' graphics and sound effects appealing, even preferable to today's photo-realistic video games with voice actors and full musical scores. Today's consoles provide a slightly interactive movie, not a video game. I can get more immersed in 1979's Star Raiders than anything made today.

A higher frame-rate on my 1200XL would be quite welcome, increasing playability while preserving the 8-bit era's inherent charm.

Then it's a great upgrade for you.

A simulator for me should be as realistic as it can be unlike other games which provide different kinds of excitement, and FS failed miserably in providing that experience, it was more of a showcase on how an 8 bit's limits can be pushed but didn't provide an enjoyable simulation experience.

In my opinion an 8 bit Atari could be great as a (somehow limited) home security system (which I actually programmed and used one as such), but flying an airplane with any realism is way over it's head even with an accelerator. I don't think the charm of the 8 bit era is a concern here, in fact flying an airplane is anything but charming so I don't get your logic there.

Edited by atari8warez

Then it's a great upgrade for you.

A simulator for me should be as realistic as it can be unlike other games which provide different kinds of excitement, and FS failed miserably in providing that experience, it was more of a showcase on how an 8 bit's limits can be pushed but didn't provide an enjoyable simulation experience.

In my opinion an 8 bit Atari could be great as a (somehow limited) home security system (which I actually programmed and used one as such), but flying an airplane with any realism is way over it's head even with an accelerator. I don't think the charm of the 8 bit era is a concern here, in fact flying an airplane is anything but charming so I don't get your logic there.

I guess I was thinking along the lines of more 'game-like' simulators such as F15 Strike Eagle... or Rescue on Fractalus. The video on Lotharek's site of RoF running on an accelerated 8-bit makes me want a Rapidus just for that one title.

FS2 is indeed a miserable experience on stock hardware, but I'd be willing to bet it could be enjoyable with a much improved frame rate. Either way, your point is well made.

I agree that other games could be more enjoyable so long as the faster CPU doesn't cause timing problems. I noticed some text screens on Karateka just flew by the screen (not necessarily a bad thing :)) and that the fighter moves more like a fast-forward cartoon character loosing all the smoothness of the game ran with a 6502. Even though I think the game is on the sluggish side with a 6502 I still like it better.

Edited by atari8warez

Look at it like this:

PAL Atari has more cpu cycles / frame available. NTSC has fewer. Just that small difference makes some games and demos unusable, or poorly usable on NTSC.

Think of the possibilities if we had FOUR times as many CPU cycles per frame to use? Intricate DLI's, VBI routines, etc. With a FAST hard drive, maybe even paging banks of RAM in/out for Virtual Memory. This should only require a small addition to the interrupt routine, only requiring a few registers for bank#, a byte for Read/Write,CreateNew, DeleteOld, CopyTo, etc. whatever you need, and a small routine to calculate that bank's position in the pagefile. There should be plenty of CPU for that, especially if you use 816 mode.

I know, PAL's run a little slower CPU rate, that is IRRELEVANT to this, I am talking about 7.xx MHz CPU on a 1.79 (or 1.77) ANTIC/GTIA.

This should open up a new world for 'special' graphics modes like RastaConverter uses, How about the (I forget the name now) audio player for the GTIA speaker, or the Commie SID player? All of those technologies would GREATLY benefit from more CPU cycles.

I believe the possibilities are almost endless.

-K

Edited by Kyle22
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I just finished installing a 65c802 chip in my Incognito 800. I am running Draco30's 816 OS. His MultiBASIC works fine, along with everything else I have tried.

Now that we know that works, let's bump it up a notch (several) and persuade Lotharek to produce an 816 companion card for the Incognito. 816 on it, with 16M RAM in 800 CPU card form-factor. Just so we have compatible HALT and RDY lines available.

I don't think a Rapidus board will physically fit into an 800 because of the CPU card being inside the cage.

While we're in there, maybe there would be room for VBXE (wishful thinking) :)

Edited by Kyle22
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This accelerator would open the possibility of a web browser, (to view at least mobile content), IRC, IM, and other internet services. ^^ And yes, all the graphics and sound tricks and other syntropies one can get with the custom chipset and a vastly faster processor (with speed like this, also multitasking)... it's atari 8 bits 2.0. A second time for years of new exploration. ;)

• 1 year later...

Had a very brief note a month or so ago from Lotharek (I had asked about something else, but took the opportunity to also ask him about Rapidus). Pretty sure that he said the Rapidus hardware was finalized.

So presumably the firmware and controls are still being worked on. (?)

Of course, it will not be of great value unless we get some apps. One that I know of is Drac030's ZX Spectrum emulator available at his web page. But once the hardware gets in the field, I'm sure that some other apps will appear. Maybe ABBUC could have a contest category for Rapidus apps? That might spur some interest.

-Larry