IGNORED

Umm.. a basic PS3 question

Mendon

On the Xbox360, once I've selected a game to download from the store, I can then turn my Xbox system off and the game will continue to download and be ready for me the next time I turn on the system.

Since I own a PS3 I should know this but I don't.... does the PS3 also do this or do I have to leave the system on until the download is finished???

Only reason I ask is because I'm thinking of downloading Battlefield 3 for free using PS Plus but its a huge file and I hate to leave the system running that long.

Thanks in advance for any info!!

The PS3 will be ON till the download is finished.

What you can do, is do a TURN OFF SYSTEM, then it will tell you that you have an active download. It will give you option (a check box) to turn off the system when the download and install is done.

That's all

Which really isn't any different. One just will continue to output video and audio while the other shuts those functions down as it otherwise remains powered up doing the downloading.

I have never done much downloading of large games on my PS3. I hope it does a better job of it though than my 360 does when I turn it off while something is downloading. Out of three large games that they gave away recently on Xbox Live, only one correctly downloaded for me on my first try after turning the console off after initiating the download. The other two showed as corrupt when I checked the next day. forcing me to delete the file and redownload.

Edited by Atariboy

I hope it does a better job of it though than my 360 does when I turn it off while something is downloading. Out of three large games that they gave away recently on Xbox Live, only one correctly downloaded for me on my first try after turning the console off after initiating the download. The other two showed as corrupt when I checked the next day. forcing me to delete the file and redownload.

Great, now I suppose I should check the games I've been downloading thus far to make sure they at least boot? :ponder:

brb.

If they show in your game list they should be fine. I don't think you need to bother making sure each will boot up.

It has been when I couldn't even locate something like Fable II that I started downloading the night before as I'm scrolling through my list of games that the file has been bad and is designated as a corrupt file in the hard drive memory management screen.

If it's at least displayed in the list of my games that are installed, it always has booted up for me.

Edited by Atariboy

Thanks much, everyone, for the info; much appreciated.

And I mis-posted the title of the game... it wasn't Battlefield 3 but Hitman Absolution, which clocks in at 16.2gb. Not sure if I'm going to download it or not as I got to thinking that I'd prefer any wear & tear hours on my PS3 be spent on actual gaming rather than downloading. Since the game has fallen to $20, I think I can wait a bit more to play it and buy it when it falls even farther in price.

Thanks much, everyone, for the info; much appreciated.

And I mis-posted the title of the game... it wasn't Battlefield 3 but Hitman Absolution, which clocks in at 16.2gb. Not sure if I'm going to download it or not as I got to thinking that I'd prefer any wear & tear hours on my PS3 be spent on actual gaming rather than downloading. Since the game has fallen to $20, I think I can wait a bit more to play it and buy it when it falls even farther in price.

"Wear and tear hours??" sounds like a paranoid xbox owner.

Yeah, I was really upset when my original launch 60gb went YLOD. I had it repaired at a shop and babied it when I got it back but it failed again about 8months later. The other PS3 that YLOD was my Limited Edition Gun Metal Gray Metal Gear 40gb system. That one didn't even have many hours on it as it was just a backup system, but the 40gb up and went YLOD on me one day. (In fact, my Valkyria Chronicles disk is still in there and I can't get it out unless I open the system up)

I didn't do much PS3 gaming for quite some time after the 40gb died but finally bought the Uncharted 3 bundle when it was released and so far haven't had any problems. I have a dedicated Blu-ray player (cost much less than a PS3) for movies to also avoid additional wear & tear on the PS3.

I have the original 20GB (upgraded to 120GB) version, still with OtherOS and Linux installed and 2nd one 40GB version (upgraded to 300GB). Both are still fine (knock on wood)

The 20giger can't go online anymore unless I upgrade my sw and lose my Linux install, so only older games work fine on it.