IGNORED

Should the plastic film be removed from the metal plate on 5200?

Video_Invader

Never could understand the importance of leaving the plastic on anything except for the prevention of wear and scratches especially when most instruction clearly state to remove it. My 5200 and trakball controller both have the plastic film on the metal parts. Should i remove this? I've seen what happens when left on for a long period of time. There was one i came across where the plastic was literally stuck to the metal and left a big mess.

I'll second this question. My 5200 has its pink plastic over the metal band and I'd like to remove it. Left up to me, I'd toss the thing; I'm curious if, in the event that I ever have to sell the unit, I might be able to squeeze another $0.85 out of somebody because it's still there. (I'm becoming more and more like my dad as the years pass. :lol: )

I'll second this question. My 5200 has its pink plastic over the metal band and I'd like to remove it. Left up to me, I'd toss the thing; I'm curious if, in the event that I ever have to sell the unit, I might be able to squeeze another $0.85 out of somebody because it's still there. (I'm becoming more and more like my dad as the years pass. :lol: )

know what you mean.

I usually remove the plastic. I've heard that it can leave residue on the aluminum, but more importantly, dust and dirt can become trapped underneath it, and will grind against the aluminum over time and scratch it. Plus, the plates just look much better without it.

If you're concerned that the plates will be damaged without the plastic to protect them, I would suggest picking up some of Jerry and Barb's Custom Dust Covers. They offer covers for the 5200 console and for the 5200 Trak-Ball controllers, among many others, and they look great while offering better protection than a piece of pink plastic film ever could!

I usually remove the plastic. I've heard that it can leave residue on the aluminum, but more importantly, dust and dirt can become trapped underneath it, and will grind against the aluminum over time and scratch it. Plus, the plates just look much better without it.

If you're concerned that the plates will be damaged without the plastic to protect them, I would suggest picking up some of Jerry and Barb's Custom Dust Covers. They offer covers for the 5200 console and for the 5200 Trak-Ball controllers, among many others, and they look great while offering better protection than a piece of pink plastic film ever could!

Agreed. I saw those on ebay awhile back. They look really good. I'm going to need quite a few.

I like to remove them, but it's really up to the individual. I managed to buy a 5200 Trak-ball with the plastic still on it. I removed it only to find that the edge of the metal plate had little scratches or perhaps oxidation... probably from dirt or moisture that got under the edge of the plastic over the years. I think the real purpose in the plastic is protection during assembly at the factory.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually used L.A.'s Totally Awesome! and scrubbed with a soft cleaning sponge. I had a Trak-Ball that had a pink protector which of course left pink behind on the chrome. I generously used the Totally Awesome! and used my hands to start the scrubbing process. I went back over it with a damp cleaning sponge. Elbow grease is required but the chemical is not harsh on plastic and might actually remove any aged residue off the plastics if you let it.

Be careful what you use to clean the metal plate, as some cleaners might damage it or remove coloring if there is any.

I was cleaning up a 7800 I found along with a few carts. I noticed there was some dirt around the lettering on the plate, which is above and below that thin strip of color that goes across the console. I was using my qtips and the rubbing alcohol to work out the dirt when I realized it was removing the color from the plate too.

As for removing it or not - remove it. I figure if it's still there, all it has done is protect it from all those previous owners and users who would abuse it; now that it's in my possession, it will be treated with kid gloves and there's no longer any need for protection. ;)

Edited by Brian R.

• 2 years later...

My consoles don't have it but my refurbished controllers from Best have the pink cover over the plate and I have it on there. Even if I had it in the console I would still have it left on there without peeling it off. I like to keep my consoles and accessories in the best condition possible.

My consoles don't have it but my refurbished controllers from Best have the pink cover over the plate and I have it on there. Even if I had it in the console I would still have it left on there without peeling it off. I like to keep my consoles and accessories in the best condition possible.

Not sure if i'd consider that the best condition possible. I've seen what can happen. Best to find one that had the plastic removed like it was supposed to and was well taken care of. Looks better with it off too.

• 4 years later...

Reviving this old thread as I am trying to remove residue but it is tough, tried alcohol, acetone, goo gone, nothign will budge it. Heat maybe?  dont want to warp anything.  Suggestions?  Those areas where it is gone is where it bubbled and I could pick at it with a fingernail.

590932815_IMG_40801.thumb.JPG.02c4d1bad1022f294673b8e7dece8f64.JPG

Edited by coleconut

Yeah...this is really common. Over the years the adhesive from the protective plastic seems to bond to the metal plate. I've actually at this point in time just leave the plastic attached since I know it will look better with that still on it than trying to remove it. I have stuff to help remove the adhesive without damage as long as I'm careful, but the stuff has a tendency to seep under the plate and then before I know it, the plate itself just falls off. 

I have a CIB 5200 4 port in the box that still has the pink plastic on it, and I'm pretty sure it will forever remain on there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Yeah...this is really common. Over the years the adhesive from the protective plastic seems to bond to the metal plate. I've actually at this point in time just leave the plastic attached since I know it will look better with that still on it than trying to remove it.

It is common and I have done the same, did my best to clean it up, but didn't mess with it too much. It's not that easy to see on this pic, but my 4-Port has quite a bit of this going on. You can see the overall discoloration of the metal plate.

4-Port.jpg