IGNORED

Phillips CD-i question

So I have recently acquired a Phillips CD-i console. (See thrift finds thread.) While looking around and researching stuff related to the CD-i it. I keep hearing about this MPEG DV cart that goes into the expansion port.

As someone who looking at possibly getting at least a small selection of CD-i titles in the future. How important is it to have the DV cart?

There is indeed two versions; thanksfully it's easy to recognize : one is large and square, the second is way smaller and the surface is hollowed totally unlike the larger model.

Philips---CDi---Digital-video-cartridge-22ER9141-00-.JPG

Also, on this one, the pins collection is on the upper side.

$T2eC16N,!)0E9s37E2uLBRRON)jCdQ~~60_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Whereas on this one, the pin connection is under the cart.

The second one is fitted in the CDi 450, and the newer CDi 220 models.

This cart is IMO needed if you wanna play most of the CD-i games; for once newer games use it, and second, well you can buy any game and being sure it will word.

Also, what you need to check on the CD-i :

Does it remind the clock? The CD-i uses a battery powered RAM, that tend to fail those days.

Sadly, this RAM also is used to keep scores, and the battery is fitted inside the RAM chip, making it hard to service.

It doesn't make your CD-i unplayable, but you can't use the save feature on the games including it.

Also, to make your gaming experience better, look for one of the pads :

CDI-gamepad_new.jpg

philips_cdi_pad_1.jpg

I would get one most of the "good" games (Litil Divil,Burn:Cycle,The Apprentice,The 7th Guest) use/need the DV cart. CDi stuff is normally cheaper in Europe so I would look there for the deals and there is no region lock on the system.

Burn:Cycle doesn't use the DV cart. But yes, I think pretty much the best CD-I titles require it, so it's a necessary purchase in order to get the most (and the best) out of the system.

A non working ram battery can cause a cd-i player to lock up completely. Not being able to save is a minor issue. Replacing it, you have to options, buy a new complete rampack or use this guide to extract the broken battery and solder a cr2025 battery holder to the old leads.

http://cdii.blogspot.nl/2009/03/picture-guide-of-cd-i-battery-repair.html

If you get a Magnavox branded CD-I in the model 450 series or close, most of those always come with the digital video for them as the system looks incomplete without it, even though it is removable. That version of the digital video cart is shaped differently and sits on top of the left side next to the disc drive so I don't know if it's compatible with the older large CD-I systems.

Edited by TheGameCollector

Burn:Cycle doesn't use the DV cart. But yes, I think pretty much the best CD-I titles require it, so it's a necessary purchase in order to get the most (and the best) out of the system.

Ok, its a FMV game so I assumed it needed it. I guess you know what that makes me.

If you get a Magnavox branded CD-I in the model 450 series or close, most of those always come with the digital video for them as the system looks incomplete without it, even though it is removable. That version of the digital video cart is shaped differently and sits on top of the left side next to the disc drive so I don't know if it's compatible with the older large CD-I systems.

The 450 didn't come with the DV Card the 550 did, but I would stay away from those model. They're cheaply built and don't work with the wireless remote without an adapter.

Ok, its a FMV game so I assumed it needed it. I guess you know what that makes me.

The 450 didn't come with the DV Card the 550 did, but I would stay away from those model. They're cheaply built and don't work with the wireless remote without an adapter.

For best gaming a gamepad is the better option, so not having ir isn't a problem.

The 550 was indeed sold with the dvc installed, the 450 didn't.

You cannot tell from looking at the console if it has a dvc installed, because it is covered by a lit.

So it cannot look incomplete.

You don't need a dvc for burn:cycle.

Edited by Seob

For best gaming a gamepad is the better option, so not having ir isn't a problem.

The 550 was indeed sold with the dvc installed, the 450 didn't.

You cannot tell from looking at the console if it has a dvc installed, because it is covered by a lit.

So it cannot look incomplete.

You don't need a dvc for burn:cycle.

Hmm, looks like I'll have to try checking inside the lid again. I'm not even 100% sure which of the two models I have. I just based my assumption it was a 450 off a description of a similar one I saw on ebay. If the 450 and 550 look alike I'll have to examine it more closely. I do know some say Philips and some say Magnavox, so I also don't know if that makes a difference.

Ah I see. So at least I know I do have the DV card because I have the black badge. The badge fell off the plastic but I kept it because I knew it was part of the system and shouldn't be discarded. It is either a 450 with the card bought later or a 550 which came with the card. It came with the second d-pad shown (the circular edged one that can be flipped upside down and switched for left handed players who don't feel right using the d-pad on the left.)

• 1 year later...

Hi

Does anyone here have any knowledge on burning cdi games to cd's?

I have tried many times with no luck using discjuggler. Could someone also tell me which files need to be burnt to a cd?

Thanks

Why do you revive a other old thread with the same question you asked yesterday in an other thread? Please only revive a thread if you have a question about the thread. Not just to ask the same question over and over again.

Why do you revive a other old thread with the same question you asked yesterday in an other thread? Please only revive a thread if you have a question about the thread. Not just to ask the same question over and over again.

He asked it in the Jaguar section yesterday for some reason too.