IGNORED

Best Atari Console for College

StellaR-Trois

I'd probably plan to focus on the new friends and social opportunities and leave the hardware at home. No need to make your dorm a bigger target than the guy next door. Also, remember that the more roomates and/or visitors you have, the greater chance of accidental damage and loss. I'm sure you'll have a computer, so emulation would be an acceptable substitute. Then, everytime you get back home, you can nostalgically rediscover your Atari.

If, on the other hand, you will be living in your own apartment, by yourself, and without those unplanned, unintentional, irresistable, and ultimately unavoidable late-night parties where little square cherished things tend to disappear, that's another story.

Shouldn't you be studying anyway, young man?

• Like 1

Take a light sixer. It's not so valuable that it couldn't be replaced if something happened to it, it looks like the atari your friends would recognize if they've heard of atari, and you can play games that don't take long to play so you can get back to studying.

Take a light sixer. It's not so valuable that it couldn't be replaced if something happened to it, it looks like the atari your friends would recognize if they've heard of atari, and you can play games that don't take long to play so you can get back to studying.

You have it right where my heart is at. It's hard for me to compromise my love and the appeal of that classic Atari shape. I also don't plan on playing it 24/7 as well. It would be more of a between class/can't sleep/all-my-friends-are-in-class-right-now kind of deal. Plus, I plan on playing Warlords and Pong now and again with my roommates.

I speak from experience, I have a light and a heavy sixers in boxes here and another (mint) heavy sixer right next to my (CRT) TV.

The most I've heard about it is how old it was and how shitty the games looked. Others sometime come over for 4 players Medieval Mayhem.

I imagine (hope!) your experience will be similar.

I speak from experience, I have a light and a heavy sixers in boxes here and another (mint) heavy sixer right next to my (CRT) TV.

The most I've heard about it is how old it was and how shitty the games looked. Others sometime come over for 4 players Medieval Mayhem.

I imagine (hope!) your experience will be similar.

I hope so! I plan on getting my roommates to play Warlords and experience the madness!

2600 junior would be the most practical. Its the size of a book. But I'm with you. It doesn't feel like a real 2600 to me.

4-switch woody is probably the way to go. Cheap, woodgrain, and I believe it fits more types of carts than any sixer would.

2600 junior would be the most practical. Its the size of a book. But I'm with you. It doesn't feel like a real 2600 to me.

4-switch woody is probably the way to go. Cheap, woodgrain, and I believe it fits more types of carts than any sixer would.

I'm starting to lean towards a vader unit. The all black would be easy to clean if it gets messy and since it's a 4 switch, I could just swap the case with a working 4 switch woody if something breaks inside.

Wait, is that that SCART connection I've been hearing so much about?

Yes it is

It's like VGA isn't it?

Yes and no.

Yes as it use RGB at the same specs than VGA, and no as VGA frequencies usually start at 60 htz in progressive mode (60 full picture/sec) where SCART is limited to your usual TV rate (50 or 60 Htz, interlaced, so 25/30 real pictures/second).

But yeah quality wise, it's VGA/Arcade cabinet style, when using RGB of course.

SCART is a multistandard plug, and it carries composite and s-video (on more recent TVs only obviously) plus stereo sound and some other bits (auto switching, 4/3 or 16/9 selection).

On this case it's mono sound and composite output, Atari didn't spend a composite-to-RGB chip in a 2600 Jr.

I just found out my roommates are going to be my best friends from last year. They are extremely considerate of other people's things and are completely trust worthy, so I'm tempted to say that I want to take my newly acquired Sears Video Arcade II. Considering how much I won't be home, it would suck to leave it at home.

Take the coolest one. The chicks'll dig it!

Seriously though, if it was me I would just take your favourite one. If it gets broken then sh*t happens but no 2600 is so expensive so as to be irreplaceable... Live life on the edge. That's what i always say. :)

PS: Enjoy college. :)

• Like 1

Having two kids currently in college, and having gone to college myself, which I had an Atari, the overwhelming consensus would be the sixer! Nothing beats the "wow!" factor than an old school wood grain sixer. It's the experience you're really after and this would deliver in spades.