IGNORED

Need streaming help for Intellivision II...

...so I turned to the obvious source for Intellivision knowledge. :) I have a channel on Twitch TV on which I've been streaming for over a year, and finally got the chance to stream my new Intellivision II (bought from Ebay, after losing my Intellivision II, Sega Master System, TRS-80 and NES during a move. Not a good time in my household when I discovered that loss.). I've confirmed that the Intellivision, which has an AV composite jack mod built in, works great when attached directly to the composite in of my TV/monitor

The problem is I haven't been able to find a device to get it to the computer for streaming purposes. I have an Avermedia Live Gamer Pro, but even when using a composite to HDMI adapter, the LGP doesn't seem to have the ability to process the low resolution signal put out by the Intellivision...the best I get is an occasional static-picture on the computer, but that's it (though it should be noted that the HDMI pass through of the LGP does work to transfer the signal to the TV/monitor--so again, no problem with the adapter or the LGP). I've tried a Diamond One Touch Video capture device (which has composite input jacks), and that got me closer--I can get perfect audio--but the image is in black and white (and even that requires tweaking, switching the capture device to be recognized by the computer as PAL-M rather than the NTSC M I would have expected). Finally, no streaming program has worked--Xsplit, OBS, RECentral, even the EZGrabber software which came with the Diamond.

I can't afford to bankrupt myself buying every capture device under the sun, so I'm hoping someone here can help. In sum:

1. The Intellivision II itself seems to be working fine when directly output to the TV/monitor via the composite jacks.

2. The LGP can pass through the HDMI signal (via my composite to HDMI adapter) to the TV/monitor, but can't register the console on the computer itself.

3. The Diamond can get perfect audio and black and white video, but no color video, and requires some tweaking to do that much.

I streamed some games of Cloudy Mountain, Treasure of Tarmin and Hover Force the other night using a webcam to capture my TV/monitor, but obviously the quality there is horrific. Can anyone help me get this awesome console into the streaming world? :)

Thanks, all,

Arvan

Hmm... I've got a pretty old PC still going that has a cruddy old KWorld TV Wonder or something in it. IIRC it takes NTSC RF in (via coax). I know I've hooked up a 2609 to it. Can try to dig out an Intellivision II and give it a whirl. Don't have an A/V mods on the consoles, so just using the RF to coax adapter. I'll let you know what happens.

Well honestly, I went through a lot of hassles trying to record consoles from that era. After much frustration with software, drivers, etc I SIMPLY TOOK THE PC OUT OF THE CAPTURE EQUATION. Picked up a bottom off the line $80 Stand-alone DVD recorder, it has composite AND TV tuner (IE: RF) input. Simply record my game-play to DVD-r, you can go cheap picking up DVD-RW / DVD+RW (depending on your models compatibility) and re-use over and over! Then simply take the resulting DVD media and load into your PC drive and import the recorded files (In this case .vob files) directly into your editing software. Of course locating a standalone DVD recorder these days might prove somewhat difficult but keep your eye open at pawn shops, thrift stores, ebay etc. In my opinion/experience this is the simplest, easiest and hassle free way and gets great results form older consoles that often people do not consider.

Thanks, Steve--part of me hopes you'll find it isn't working perfectly, because I got this one with an composite mod output specifically so I wouldn't have to get a separate TV tuner card to use with a coax. I'm not one hundred percent sure that jack is even still working on my Intellivision. Sigh...anyway, any info you discover would be most welcome! And unfortunately, Retro, I'm not trying to record video but stream it live on to the Internet as I play, so I'm afraid a standalone DVD recorder wouldn't work. I considered getting a DVD player or VCR so I could do the RF to coax adapter ---------> DVD player ---------> composite out to the Avermedia LGP, but I thought getting this Intellivision with the composite mod out avoided that problem. Sigh again. :)

Thanks for the feedback...any more help would be welcome!

Arvan

For all the desire I've had over the years to do the A/V mod on an Inty, I've never tried it. There are a couple recent threads here about DIY attempts. My skimming of those threads tells me that it's a little hit-or-miss, so can't say I regret not doing it. If that's not enough double-negatives for you then don't ask me what I'm not trying to say. :P

Well, I've tried to put a .mpg here. Recorded RF to Coax input (CH4) on a really old KWorld TV Terminator in Windows xp. Just runs a little 'Quick TV' app that shows input on the screen w/ record option. Used a plain Intellivision II w/o any mods. I'll PM you with the file - very short, only a couple meg.

20130808_230504.mpg

Edited by intvsteve

Thanks, Steve. What card are you using to capture that? And I wonder if there's another composite in capture card out there I could try too, just so I don't feel like I wasted money on the composite mod part. Actually, I wonder if it would still output to the RF out even with the AV mod--in which case I could use the AV to my TV/monitor, and use the RF to Coax to get it to a simple Coax capture card in my computer. Does anyone know if that's usually the way the Intellivision works--would a composite mod out preclude it still being able to put out signal to the RF out as well?

Thanks again for all the help so far,

Arvan

The card is obsolete, but it's a KWorld PVR-TV 7131. Had to dig deep to find drivers for it when the HDD died on that xp system. The card also has connections for composite and S-Video, but I don't have a composite-modded system to try it with.

Whether the INTV system can produce both signals simultaneously depends entirely on the mod. From what's been posted around here, I think some are 'destructive'. GroovyBee is working on something in this area, but with all the irons he's got in the fire I'm not sure of its status.