IGNORED

You can't record X-Box One footage for free?

atari2600land

I don't see how it would stop you from recording with composite video.

I agree, or you could point your camera at the screen, set it for video and just record a video.

Yes that really is how how would take my game footage from the 360 to upload to youtube and it worked fine. I think it's safe to say if you really want to record your gameplay for free on the Xbox One...you'll figure out a way to do it.

Yes, you can record your Xbox One with an external capture device over HDMI, the only video output the system will support. The Gold requirement is only for the automatic recording of your last 5 minutes of gameplay, which gets uploaded to the cloud. One you have to do yourself, the other is automated and integrated.

Yes, you can record your Xbox One with an external capture device over HDMI, the only video output the system will support. The Gold requirement is only for the automatic recording of your last 5 minutes of gameplay, which gets uploaded to the cloud. One you have to do yourself, the other is automated and integrated.

It does output Composite, they just got rid of component.

The new Xbox 360 slim is an HDMI only console? That stinks but I suppose it's not too big of a deal these days.

No. The upcoming XBOX One is HDMI-only. The Slim still has the A/V port in addition to HDMI. I have mine connected by Component right now (and I know it ships with a lowly composite cable). The A/V will do VGA-out as well.

The slim has a redesign that was unveiled at E3 with styling similar to the Xbox One. It has eliminated that port just like he said if sources online are correct that I found when I was skeptical last night after he said that.

It seems to be true.

XBOX_360_35791989_35791991_35789091_35791992_08_620x433.jpg

Edited by Atariboy

• 2 months later...

You should be able to record with a regular VCR or DVD recorder, as well as play the system and the PS4 on a CRT TV with composite if you buy this box that converts HDMI to composite and S-Video. You can even switch video output between PAL and NTSC

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Universal-Composite-S-Video-Converter/dp/B00AQ4HF7G

. And it only records the last 5 minutes? What the hell good will that do?

The point is, you press the button to keep the last five minutes if you do something of interest. If you want to do something more significant, use an external capture device. One is a convenient "highlight" type feature that you don't need to think about and the other is for the dedicated person who likes to upload significant play sessions to the Web for whatever reason. The same thing on the PS4 once that feature is activated. These are not meant to record every minute of every play session. We're probably a few generations away before bandwidth and storage space become non-trivial for something like that. These are actually nice, innovative standard features that both new consoles have, so I don't see how it's worthy of criticism.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Goodluck with that. I can get an HDMI to composit cable and then run it through any DVD recorder all day long (for lack of a HD recording option) I imagine some of the HD recorders out there will tell whatever is hooked to them through HDMI that they are just a TV, so I doubt they can stop you from recording the games...though you may need to look at what you use to record with.

Good luck with what? You can record Xbox One and PS4 footage over HDMI using standard capture devices. This is a change from the previous generation when the PS3 only worked over component. Why you'd want to downgrade from HDMI to blurry composite recording is beyond me.

Because that way, Microsoft doesn't have its hand wrapped around your happy sack. It's a matter of control, and the DRM-protected HDMI format gives Microsoft control over what you record and where you post it afterward. I think the decision to go HDMI-only enables Microsoft and Sony to stop unauthorized broadcasts of their games. Nintendo, on the other hand, has taken a different approach, demanding a cut of ad revenue for every WiiU video posted on YouTube.

• Like 1

Because that way, Microsoft doesn't have its hand wrapped around your happy sack. It's a matter of control, and the DRM-protected HDMI format gives Microsoft control over what you record and where you post it afterward. I think the decision to go HDMI-only enables Microsoft and Sony to stop unauthorized broadcasts of their games. Nintendo, on the other hand, has taken a different approach, demanding a cut of ad revenue for every WiiU video posted on YouTube.

You CAN record directly off HDMI. The only thing you can't record are Bluray movies, which has always been the case, even on PC.

The new Xbox 360 slim is an HDMI only console? That stinks but I suppose it's not too big of a deal these days.

Actually it's funny... or sad, because I have a wall mounted TV over our master room fireplace that I ran cables through during my house construction to a side niche media area. At the time (2005), I only figured to run one single HDMI cable, one component, and one composite.. eventually I added a component switch in the niche, etc to add more devices.

Well, that single HDMI cable to the TV area is bad now.. and there's absolutely zero way I'd be able to re-route a new one. So yeah that kind of stinks about the xbone being pure HDMI.. guess I can't play it on that tv in the near future unless I drop one to the floor. :P

Why would you have to wire another HDMI cable? You could always hook up a HDMI switch at your media area to support more devices connected to your single HDMI cable or setup a receiver with multiple inputs.

And since the Xbox One has HDMI in, you don't even need that for the Xbox One to be connected. Just hook up your HDMI cable running to your HDTV at your media area to the HDMI output on your Xbox One. Then, whatever was originally connected to that HDMI cable at that your media area instead plugs into your Xbox One's HDMI input port and is passed through the Xbox One and then through the same HDMI cable it used before the XB1 was hooked up.

Edited by Atariboy

Why would you have to wire another HDMI cable? You could always hook up a HDMI switch at your media area to support more devices connected to your single HDMI cable or setup a receiver with multiple inputs.

And since the Xbox One has HDMI in, you don't even need that for the Xbox One to be connected. Just hook up your HDMI cable running to your HDTV at your media area to the HDMI output on your Xbox One. Then, whatever was originally connected to that HDMI cable at that your media area instead plugs into your Xbox One's HDMI input port and is passed through the Xbox One and then through the same HDMI cable it used before the XB1 was hooked up.

An HDMI switch is useless because as I said, the single HDMI cable that is there is broken. It doesn't work man. :P No matter what. I think I bent a connector in it a few years ago when switching devices or something.. I have no clue. And it aint going anywhere since it's stapled to multiple studs in the run I did during the construction phase. :lol: I do know the hdmi ports on the tv itself do work because I tested them when I was trying to figure out what was going on..

So if I wanted to ever play Xbox one on this tv, I would need to insert a new HDMI cable (which I have a bunch of from monoprice).. But again, that means it'd be hanging below the tv and over the fireplace. So forget about it. :P IF IT ALLOWED COMPONENT inputs however, it'd be playable from my media niche since of course I do have a component switch in there. But I guess MS has spoken. :(

Edited by NE146

Yeah, I missed that bit since I didn't notice that you said that your HDMI cable had an issue. I thought the issue was that it was occupied with something else that you didn't want to disconnect.

Looking around, it sounds like it's reasonably possible to replace the connector if you wanted to resolve the problem.

http://www.blueechosolutions.com/info/hd-ez-lock/hdmi-cables-repaired/

Edited by Atariboy