IGNORED

You can't record X-Box One footage for free?

atari2600land

One reason to downgrade the HDMI to composite just for video recording is to be able to output the signal to multiple displays. When you record games using a capture card, there is severe input lag on the computer screen. If you output a signal from the converter to a VCR's composite in, you can use the composite out to go straight to the capture card while you run coaxial to the TV at the same time. Unless there are HDMI signal splitters I don't see how you can do the same thing with HDMI. I also don't see a reason to upgrade a capture card because HD videos you capture on your computer will take up much more space on a hard drive. There's no reason to invest so much hard drive space and use what would have been game money on a more expensive capture card when a cheap $10 one from Hong Kong will work just fine for recording those Let's Play videos you aren't going to get paid for anyway.

The only problem I have with Microsoft is they still lock certain things behind a paywall like Netflix for example. On PS4 it's still free to use. On Windows 8 it's free to use. On my windows phone it's free to use.

Now with GOLD giving away free games (again thanks to Playstation) it's not so bad but still.......

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck with what? You can record Xbox One and PS4 footage over HDMI using standard capture devices. This is a change from the previous generation when the PS3 only worked over component. Why you'd want to downgrade from HDMI to blurry composite recording is beyond me.

Because not all of us are doing this to rub one off while watching pixel perfect video caps of Cortona or whatever. :P

For the most part, people that want to record video are doing non paid video walk throughs or just demos, can't think of a good reason to use a massive file size for that, though I can get composit adapters, or even DVI adapters (though I don't know why I would want that one...though I do have a 1080P monitor that has DVI but no HDMI so....)

The basic point was, Microsoft can't stop people from recording the video, even by locking it to HDMI only, because, there's simply to many alternative HDMI to whatever options out there.

The basic point was, Microsoft can't stop people from recording the video, even by locking it to HDMI only, because, there's simply to many alternative HDMI to whatever options out there.

So why would you assume that was ever their intention? Wouldn't you just think that they figured if a person wanted to do what you're suggesting, using the alternates methods you mentioned, that the person could just do that? Everythings a conspiracy these days. LOL.